United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
# of games played:2

Who played who:My wife played High Elves twice. I played Orks once, Dark Elves once.

Who beat who: Orks vs Elves, I won. Elves vs Elves, my wife won.

First game: Orks (me) vs High Elves (my wife)

My wife hates when I play the Orks, She reluctantly suggested that I use them against her High Elf deck (which she has been fine-tuning over the last dozen-or-so plays). My philosophy with the Orks is speed and power and slaughter. My Ork deck is centered around the idea where certain units gain bonuses when they are damaged and/or when other damaged units are damaged. As such, I had a lot of self-damaging cards like We'z Bigga and Savage Orks and whatnot that add damage and/or reduce a card's cost.

My wife's strategy with the High Elves is like that of a train: it takes a while to get going, but once it does, it's difficult to stop. She uses her Shrugs-off-all-combat-damage Swordsmen, several hero units, and Elven ships (2 indirect damage per turn) to do her dirty work. Unfortunately for her, my Ork deck gets rolling very quickly, so I was able to end the game rather quickly. I started off with a Snotling pumpwagon (1 HP, 2 Hammers, Battlefield only) and began attacking as soon as possible.

Within the first four turns, I had the Troll Den (3 Hammers, deal 2 damage to a unit in this zone each turn or discard Troll Den) and a Hero with the following description:

During your capital phase, you may use damage tokens on this unit as if they were resource tokens.

The Hero is a 3-HP unit, so long story short every turn I was getting 9 resources (3 from the Kingdom, 3 from Troll Den, 1 from Hero, and 2 from Hero's ability). This allowed me to put out a strong defense and a strong offense rather quickly. An especially nice card was a Support Attachment I put on an Ork in my Quest Zone that reads:

If this unit defends alone, destroy all attacking units at the end of the battle.

The unit upon which it was placed was a 4-HP, 1 Toughness (iirc) unit, so I figured I had an awesome defense there.

My wife had managed to get her economy rolling earlier than usual, but it really didn't matter. I put a 5-HP Hero in my Battlefield with the following description:

This unit gains 1 Hammer for each damage token on it.

I also attached a Suuport card that adds 1 Hammer per damage on this unit (War Paint, I think). I also placed the Boar Rider in my Battlefield (+2 Hammers if any unit you control is damaged). This 2-man force was packin' 6 Damage at a time! I attacked my wife's Quest zone and within 2 turns it was burning. However, my wife made a big mistake: she played a Tactic (Rise from the Depths or something like that) that dealt me 3 indirect damage. When I played it on my Hero (who gains 2 Hammers per wound) she slapped her head and realized that she had basically handed me the game. She attacked my battlefield and I let her through for 5 damage.

On my following turn (just to add insult to injury) I played a Tactic on my Hero (who was currently boasting 8 Hammers iirc) that doubled his attack power. This, combined with the Boar's 3 Hammers, hit her Kingdom for 19 damage.

"I hate when you play Orks," was all my wife could say.

Second game: Dark Elves (me) vs High Elves (my wife)

In my last session report, I remarked that my Dark Elf deck was a bit too full of Tactics and Supports and not enough units. This time, the balance was much better. I had added in some beefier defenders while getting rid of the Tactics and Supports that weren't as useful. However, I did my best to keep the "take that" Attachments and Tactics like Word of Pain (attached unit cannot attack) or Wrath of Khaine (all combatants are destroyed) because I really like to bring the hurt with those cards.

When my wife and I play Dark Elves vs High Elves, the tendency is that we spend a few turns building up our Kingdom and Quest zones and then we begin clashing on the Battlefield. This game was no different. We both did a fairly good job of getting several good cards out on the table, establishing a firm defense on our flanks. Two cards that were especially useful were a Cold One Knight (Toughness 1, HP 3), and a black horse/pegasus with Toughness 3 (unless the opponent pays 3 resources to cancel the Toughness). Although my wife was able to bring out two of her Elven Ships, these two units were able to soak ALL of it! YES! Finally I had found a decent way to deal with those dang ships.

Anyway, like I said we built up our economy and then we started filling our battlefield. I was a bit behind in my resource production, whereas my wife was getting 10+ a turn. I kept adding Developments to my Battlefield to keep my Cold One Chariot (HP = number of developments in that zone) alive, but most of my other units in the Battlefield got pinged to death by her archers. I did manage to add a Hydra Blade to my Cold One Chariot (+2 Hammers, pay 2 resources if this unit is killed to save it and remove all damage), which turned it into a formidable force. I had burned her Quest Zone and she hadn't burned any of mine (Kingdom and Quest were getting low, though).

Then, she got a Hero out and brought the hurt. My Kingdom fell first, because all my defenders had died. My Quest Zone was able to soak up a ton of damage but eventually it became too much and my two defenders died. This occurred in two consecutive turns due to my wife's liberal use of "Charge of the Silver Spears" (+3 Hammers, -1 HP). On the second-to-last turn I was able to get Fellkin (Golden Cthulhu helmet guy who deals reduces HP by 1 per development) on the table and that was nice because I took out her Hero, but by then it was a bit too late. She crushed my Quest zone (I didn't have enough Resources or cards to put up a fight) even though I was one turn away from burning her second zone. ARGGH!

Final thoughts:

I'll always love Orks. I love 'em because you play Orks fast and loose and you just terrorize anything in your path. They can lose big if you fail to get your units on the table. With that in mind, I have a very unit-heavy Ork deck that focuses on comboing the unit abilities against one another instead of relying on Supports and Tactics to make special things happen. I wonder if a unit-heavy deck would work as well with the other races...

My wife Rachael's High Elf deck continues to improve as she weeds out cards that aren't as useful. She is very good at building a strong foundation and getting cards that combo with one another, but the main flaw of her deck is that if you force her to focus on her Battlefield by launching early attacks, it disrupts her strategy and usually brings everything crumbling down. On the other hand, if you let her build her economy (which is what I did in our Dark Elf vs High Elf battle), then she's difficult to deal with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ganotisi
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so jealous that your wife plays a game of WH:I with you. My wife will not touch anything with orc, elves, wizards, magic, aliens... However, she did give Carcassonne and 1960: The Making of the President a shot once.

Locally, I got one of my coworkers into it WH:I and we make a day out of it testing the different decks we've made. I, for one, am a DE player. I love the discard mechanic they got going on. He loves orcs and they come out really fast and cheap. I all boils down to me disrupting his economy and him disrupting my discard engine. Fun times for the both of us and it never gets old.

*we both have all the expansions up to the most recent, Warhammer: Invasion - Fiery Dawn and have been playing for about 6 months now.

Good to read about these sessions, I look forward to making one myself.

Semper!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Argo
United States
Durant
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixing in some Lizardmen with High Elves might help. One of the best anti-Orc cards, in my opinion, is Skinks of Sotek. Sniping those 1-drops armed with Choppas is key, especially if said method of sniping gives you a little blocker in the exchange.

Usually, my ability to win with High Elves revolves around my capacity to draw and play Gifts of Aenarion at just the right time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.