BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Urgent: Need to buy games NOW! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Taylor
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
My OH has just splurged and treated herself to a tablet PC. This means I have a window of opportunity for some guilt-free spending - I must act quickly before the moment passes. Shallow materialism ahoy!

I'm looking for something[s] that work[s] well with 2 (i.e. can played at home with OH) AND/OR can be played in a larger group [3+] in under 90 minutes (i.e. can be taken to an evening games group).

At home, our 2 favourates are Arkham Horror and Thunderstone.

I could go for more of the same:
Mansions of Madness
Ghost Stories
Fortune and Glory
Race for the Galaxy

However, my at-home playlist is already theme heavy (as is most of my want-list, I'm a sucker for theme) - so I'm thinking, perhaps I should go for something more Euro. The thing is - most of the Euros I've played*, I played at the game group I go to, and wouldn't work well with 2 (I don't think). So getting them would be pointless or redundant.

I just don't know what to do. Suggestions?

* examples from the top of my head:
Power Grid
Vinci
World Without End
Ra: The Dice Game
Amun-Re
Saint Petersburg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to recommend a game I have not played myself, but have you looking into 7 Wonders? It seems like a great two player "euro" type card game that scales great for more people. At least, that is what I read about it.

If you want to lay out some cash for a great game that also scales well, I highly suggest Railways of the World. A game where you build train routes that is very strategic in nature but with very easy rules. The game comes with two maps so you can play two player on the smaller map and more people on the larger map. Check out all the great reviews. Plus, it has a great theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mehlhoff
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't do Power Grid if you plan to play it with 2. It mechanically works but the fun and tension is gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Race for the Galaxy could be a good fit, but it certainly is not "more of the same" if your starting point is Arkham Horror and Thunderstone. Base game scales well from 2-4.

I don't think I'd get 7 Wonders if 2-player was a major use case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Your so-called kung-fu... is really... quite pathetic"
mbmbmbmbmb
2-player: You must at least check out Glory to Rome. Fantastic game: deeply strategic, fun, scales well from 2 to 5 players, and very replayable.

Heavier, but works with 2-players:Agricola and Le Havre. Both designed by the same guy, but very different worker placement euro's. Very replayable and great with two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
s m t
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I like my town with a little drop of poison Nobody knows, they're lining up to go insane.
mbmbmbmbmb
From your list I would go with Race for the Galaxy. The base game works well with 2-4 players.
And theme is important to you.
Amun-Re must be a good pick for you as well but it only plays 3-4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Edwards
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Pandemic? It is the first one that came to mind that plays really well with any number from 2-4 players. I don't think you'll go wrong with Race for the Galaxy, either, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Miller
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ergates wrote:
I'm looking for something[s] that work[s] well with 2 (i.e. can played at home with OH) AND/OR can be played in a larger group [3+] in under 90 minutes (i.e. can be taken to an evening games group).

Airlines Europe is a great game that definitely fits your parameters. I wasn't sure how well it would work 2-player (I didn't expect it to work well) but I've found it to be a fantastic 2P game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought Cyclades and will recommend that.

I've played a few games now and I really like it. It's a great hybrid euro-trash game (lots of theme, but mechanically more like a euro). After learning the game, we played a few games back to back, easily under 90 minutes in a 3-player game. I haven't played the two-player game yet, but it looks pretty cool, since you get to double up your bidding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation is an awesome game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, what does "OH" stand for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:

I'm guessing "Other Half" ?

EDIT: As in significant other, wife, partner, husband, boyfried/girlfriend etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
I think Race for the Galaxy could be a good fit, but it certainly is not "more of the same" if your starting point is Arkham Horror and Thunderstone. Base game scales well from 2-4.

yeah, I do enjoy this game, but there is a fairly large learning curve associated with it.

I am going to recend my suggestion for 7 Wonders... that is what I get for suggesting a game I have not played... It is a 3-7 player game. Not sure why I thought it was a 2-7 player game. The 2 player is a "throw in" bunch of rules and the game was not designed with two players in mind.

Now, Race for the Galaxy does work well with two and is a little slow with four, but not that bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Saint Petersburg with 2p.

I actually prefer Ra: The Dice Game with 2 players, because it goes more quickly than with more. My wife and I play regularly. There is more blocking and competition with more.

My top suggestion would probably be San Juan, which works well with 2-4, has a dash of theme, and plays quickly but with depth.

Thebes is a nice game, if you are ok with some randomness (and needing to do the steps to mitigate it). I prefer it with 2, but it works well up to 4.

You already have Carcassonne.

A bit more complex than those, but still not "heavy" is Glen More.

Stone Age is another popular "slightly more complicated" game that works well with 2-4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Taylor
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Mega-response - thankyou.

cferejohn wrote:

Other Half: It's what you call your girlfriend when you've been together for 12 years and "girlfriend" somehow doesn't seem appropriate anymore

7 Wonders is on my want-list, but at least 2 other people in the game group have it.

RFTG seems to be getting lots of love. Plus some things I'd not condsidered - To the Research-Cave Batman.

Oooh, what about Fury of Dracula?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ergates wrote:
RFTG seems to be getting lots of love. Plus some things I'd not condsidered - To the Research-Cave Batman.

Definitely best to try RftG before you buy it. Some people have a lot of trouble with the icons. I actually liked those, but found the rest of the game to be a more-complicated-but-less-fun version of San Juan. San Juan is one you can bring casual gamers into, but Race will take a lot more motivation and patience. If you learn SJ first, Race is much easier to pick up.

Supposedly Glory to Rome is in the same family, so you might research all three at the same time.

You can play San Juan free online, and there is a great Race desktop computer app you can download and run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Airlines Europe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:

Sam is my other half and I'm his better half. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmiller1020 wrote:
Ergates wrote:

Airlines Europe is a great game that definitely fits your parameters. I wasn't sure how well it would work 2-player (I didn't expect it to work well) but I've found it to be a fantastic 2P game.
Do you feel there's enough strategy / choices in it?

I kinda wanted it but since it's so stock heavy I don't know how it would work with the family.

"You buy stocks" .. "?? no thanks"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Taylor
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Thanks all for the tips.

End the end I went for.....
Race for the Galaxy.

and San Juan

and Chaos in the Old World
and, er, maybe some others too... *cough*...

The internet + wine + credit card = bad news...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Miller
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
jmiller1020 wrote:
Ergates wrote:

Do you feel there's enough strategy / choices in it?

I kinda wanted it but since it's so stock heavy I don't know how it would work with the family.

"You buy stocks" .. "?? no thanks"

I think you would find that the decisions each round can be excruciatingly difficult at certain points throughout the game. You have one of four options each round and those decisions are tough. It has great strategy in my opinion. Still one of my favorite games right now and I've had it since mid June. Probably about 25 plays in 3 months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac
United States
Corona
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ergates wrote:
Thanks all for the tips.

End the end I went for.....
Race for the Galaxy.

and San Juan

and Chaos in the Old World
and, er, maybe some others too... *cough*...

The internet + wine + credit card = bad news...

Thank the wine later when you are playing all your fun new games!

Race for the Galaxy is brilliant once you finally learn all the icons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think Boardgamegeek deserves the Head-Fi expression: "(Welcome to Head-Fi) sorry about your wallet!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.