Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Had anyone thought about or tried keeping a running tally of VPs for each player as the game goes on? I was thinking about trying this so as to increase risk/reward tactics and the overall tension of the game. I thought it might lead to more interesting tactics like intentionally losing to high-VP monsters or sacrificing heroes to make up point differences late in the game. And there's a certain anti-climatic feeling we've had when everyone has to go through their deck and tally up VPs after all of the action. I think it would be more exciting to know that a game is coming down to the wire, and to know exactly who wins right at the moment the Thunderstone is recovered.

Of course, the downside would be in situations where everyone knows that one player is so far ahead that it doesn't matter what happens in the final rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Grand Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The implementation of Thunderstone on Yucata.de does this, and I've found that I like knowing the score as the game progresses. It allows me to make more informed choices and maybe do certain plays I wouldn't do otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
improvius wrote:
Had anyone thought about or tried keeping a running tally of VPs for each player as the game goes on? I was thinking about trying this so as to increase risk/reward tactics and the overall tension of the game. I thought it might lead to more interesting tactics like intentionally losing to high-VP monsters or sacrificing heroes to make up point differences late in the game. And there's a certain anti-climatic feeling we've had when everyone has to go through their deck and tally up VPs after all of the action. I think it would be more exciting to know that a game is coming down to the wire, and to know exactly who wins right at the moment the Thunderstone is recovered.

Of course, the downside would be in situations where everyone knows that one player is so far ahead that it doesn't matter what happens in the final rounds.
Not a bad idea to know this, although the game is already fiddly enough that people may forget to update scores, causing more problems than solutions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
ackmondual wrote:
Not a bad idea to know this, although the game is already fiddly enough that people may forget to update scores, causing more problems than solutions.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out an easy way to keep track. Maybe re-purposing some Munchkin Kill-o-meters? Or maybe just poker chips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artemus Maximus
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sometimes when i play with people that would like to do this, we use green glass beads for the VP. gain printed amt when you kill a monster, lose printed amt when destroyed or monster advances out of the dungeon.
Grabbing some beads from the pool doesn't seem to make things too hard...just have to make sure everyone's on board - else its for your own good really. But when everyone does, it seems to up the competetiveness of the game while playing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.