Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
68 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Ascension: Deckbuilding Game» Forums » News

Subject: New expansion announced! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Olmstead
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow $40 for ~100 new cards! SIGN ME UP! < / sarcasm >
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Moore
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter
badge
Does (Top Promoter) subliminal (Top Promoter) advertising (Top Promoter) really (Top Promoter) work?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
First Name Last Name
msg tools
Looks cool. Event cards reminds me of the dungeon cards from Munchkin 6.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
feydjm wrote:
I'm in!
Me too!.... but for the iOS app when it gets implemented.

kleric42 wrote:
Wow $40 for ~100 new cards! SIGN ME UP! < / sarcasm >
Where are you getting 100 from? The box back says 200. Minus 4 sets of start hands and a Cultist card, that leaves less than 160 other cards. I suppose you may be referring to the # of unique cards that may be left (even though no1 knows much about this set), but now we're getting ahead of ourselves.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in. It's interesting how all their expansions are playable on their own.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
coming with a board is unnecessary, was hoping that would be with original base game only. hope they redesigned the board atleast, or made it more travel friendly.

it likely is ~100->120 new cards, once you account for 40 starting cards and all the mystics/heavy infantries. maybe the basics get new art??

combining all the cards into one monster center deck sounds fun, but will need to be stored in a box on its side rather than in a stack!

looking forward to details on how the events and trophies work. and event trophies?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will get it for sure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
First Name Last Name
msg tools
Except the board was never necessary. The game is perfectly playable (and some would say preferably playable) without the board.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
flamejuggler wrote:
it likely is ~100->120 new cards, once you account for 40 starting cards and all the mystics/heavy infantries. maybe the basics get new art??

combining all the cards into one monster center deck sounds fun, but will need to be stored in a box on its side rather than in a stack!


Yeah, I knew I forgot something, and alas, Mystics and HI comprise of stacks of at least... 30 each?

As for the cards, you could just separate them into multiple stacks so they fit back into the box, and recombine them when setting up.

UndeadScottsman wrote:
Except the board was never necessary. The game is perfectly playable (and some would say preferably playable) without the board.
The classic "different strokes for different folks" saying applies here. If I were to buy a copy of the game and I have the board on me, I will use it. However, if I will gladly ditch it if it allows me to reduce the box size by one half, and also allows expansions and promos to fit in there as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to the OP

kleric42 wrote:
Wow $40 for ~100 new cards! SIGN ME UP! < / sarcasm >


I will in all likelihood buy this as Ascension is one of my favorite game systems, however I am sympathetic with this poster's position.

As others have noted 40 cards lost to more duplicates of apprentice/militia cards and then the additional heavy inf./mysitcs (again as another posted noted) more honor tokens that many of us don't need and yet another game board when the 1st one is not necessary.

The $40 MSRP is a bit high considering that many veteran players don't need many of the materials in the box.

I for one would like to see some product differentiation to meet different market segments.

1. A "Booster", like a small box/package of cards for those that already have the other necessary bits

2. "Starter" edition with the apprentice/militia/mysitcs/heavies/board/tokens etc.

I really do like this game system, and Gary Games has been pretty good so far with supporting the players so I hope they have future plans to avoid requiring Ascension's fans to continue paying for yet more copies of basic cards and tokens that they don't need. If they want to roll out "starter" style editions with new sets/expansions that is great and perfectly fine for getting new players into the game, but some consideration (via a booster-like option) for those already invested in the game would be appreciated.


edits: typing issues
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's becoming sort of an habit for companies to release these DBG expansions as standalones. Nightfall is also doing that. It's starting to get a bit expensive.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
It's becoming sort of an habit for companies to release these DBG expansions as standalones. Nightfall is also doing that. It's starting to get a bit expensive.

AEG decided to release the second expansion without the basic cards, per the requests of a lot of people they heard from.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
November??? That's after Essen soblue

However, it's great to see a new mechanism coming up, not just variations of the same old cards!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Events seem nice. Wonder how they work. Trophy seems more straight forward but I may be making assumptions (it looks like monsters that stick around on your play area until you decide to let them go for a bonus).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Blah Blah Blah just don't buy it.

Either you accept that intellectual property costs money or we all or paying ridiculous prices for wood and plastic shaped by machines manned by underpaid workers.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter van Helvoort
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Runcible Spoon wrote:
Thanks to the OP

kleric42 wrote:
Wow $40 for ~100 new cards! SIGN ME UP! < / sarcasm >


I will in all likelihood buy this as Ascension is one of my favorite game systems, however I am sympathetic with this poster's position.

As others have noted 40 cards lost to more duplicates of apprentice/militia cards and then the additional heavy inf./mysitcs (again as another posted noted) more honor tokens that many of us don't need and yet another game board when the 1st one is not necessary.

The $40 MSRP is a bit high considering that many veteran players don't need many of the materials in the box.

I for one would like to see some product differentiation to meet different market segments.

1. A "Booster", like a small box/package of cards for those that already have the other necessary bits

2. "Starter" edition with the apprentice/militia/mysitcs/heavies/board/tokens etc.

I really do like this game system, and Gary Games has been pretty good so far with supporting the players so I hope they have future plans to avoid requiring Ascension's fans to continue paying for yet more copies of basic cards and tokens that they don't need. If they want to roll out "starter" style editions with new sets/expansions that is great and perfectly fine for getting new players into the game, but some consideration (via a booster-like option) for those already invested in the game would be appreciated.


edits: typing issues


I second this. I have just spent a bunch on the last expansion, and I really don't need any more honor tokens, starter decks, mystics or heavy infantry. Sales price could drop considerably if all these extra's aren't in the box. In fact, you could even sell it without a box (shrink wrap the cards, or maybe put the cards in the type of thin cheap cardboard box that regular playing cards come in); I will likely stuff all of it in the original box anyway.

Right now I am considering holding off on buying it (I'm not done with return of the Fallen yet...). The logic is, if I pay for a whole new game, I might as well get a whole new game... While if this were just a deck of cards at a reasonable price....
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hedron Engineer wrote:
Runcible Spoon wrote:
I for one would like to see some product differentiation to meet different market segments.

1. A "Booster", like a small box/package of cards for those that already have the other necessary bits

2. "Starter" edition with the apprentice/militia/mysitcs/heavies/board/tokens etc.


I second this.
Thirded. Justin, you guys have done a great job building your fanbase and delivering a thoroughly enjoyable game, and not only do we applaud you for that accomplishment, but also for the dialogue that you maintain with us through this site and others.

That being said, please, please give this suggestion serious consideration. We don't need more Militia, Heavy Infantry or Honor Tokens. Those people just getting into the game do, and that's great, but at this point the percentage of the Ascension fanbase who will start with Storm of Souls is (I believe; granted, I haven't done the market research) going to be relatively small. Allow us to keep playing your game -- and enjoying the new mechanics and variations that you introduce to it! -- without bogging us down with components (and their associated costs) that we don't need.

Thank you.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Leath
United States
OH
flag msg tools
badge
fyeahgamesandgrub.tumblr.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW:

The "Trophy" mechanic is a SWEET new edition to the game; I wasn't as sold on the "Event" mechanic, but it looks like they've tinkered with it a bit since the last playtest iteration. Nice to see the cards with Sabee's art if nothing else.

Also, sorry to Flamejuggler. Hadn't seen that you posted something about this expansion before posting something myself.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Whisperhand wrote:
FWIW:

The "Trophy" mechanic is a SWEET new edition to the game; I wasn't as sold on the "Event" mechanic, but it looks like they've tinkered with it a bit since the last playtest iteration. Nice to see the cards with Sabee's art if nothing else.

Also, sorry to Flamejuggler. Hadn't seen that you posted something about this expansion before posting something myself.

nothing to be sorry about (?), I learned of the expansion announcement through this thread, and just clarified the little I can assume about the 200 card contents.

Definitely curious what an "event trophy" is, as that makes less sense to me than the Hoarding Whelp "monster trophy" preview, which seems like it would work just like DarkAngel describes.

November is pretty soon! hurray. wonder when they will begin playtesting set 4...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Leath
United States
OH
flag msg tools
badge
fyeahgamesandgrub.tumblr.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll talk about as much as I can with regards to the NDA I signed.

Talk away...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
trophies sound great, assuming it lets you stockpile monster rewards for when they are actually useful. How often have you had 3 power to kill a Sammael's Trickster and had no use for the 1 rune reward, so killed the cultist instead? different story if that 1 rune could be used on future turns, and would allow you to more reliably ramp up to buy expensive cards eventually. seems a great addition.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Leath
United States
OH
flag msg tools
badge
fyeahgamesandgrub.tumblr.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Which means, unless there's a way to remove them from another player's side of the board, that trophies can just be accumulated until the end of the game to be unleashed on the very last turn.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex Brown wrote:
Blah Blah Blah just don't buy it.

Either you accept that intellectual property costs money or we all or paying ridiculous prices for wood and plastic shaped by machines manned by underpaid workers.

That's what I say to others too.... "You're paying alot of $$ for what's essentially wood, plastic, cardboard, and ink"

Alas, it's a "half-win" situation. For example, alot of people liked how TtR Swiss was much cheaper and didn't come with trains nor train cards, but DoW noticed many other customers didn't like having to buy one game at full price just to be able to play another.

IMO, they could've let the base game be the only set with enough foundation cards for 4p, as unlike TS and Dom, I don't think you can buy Storm Of Souls and the base game, and have 2 concurrent games of Asc. going at once.

Oh, and while I am excited about this exp, I just don't see much reason to talk about it when we know nothing beyond a few preview cards and basic idea of what the new mechanics entail.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco P
Belgium
flag msg tools
Now I wish it on my iPad as I have nobody to play it phisically with
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Basil
United States
Clayton
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish they would just release a pure expansion instead of making people repurchase and repurchase and repurchase and repurchase base cards.

This will be a hard purchase as much as I love the game.

GaryGames can you make a version available through your website that just includes the extra cards?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.