Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made a solitaire scenario and am looking for some ideas on simplifying, balancing, and creative side too. I have some generic names for cards and some no longer reflect what the card does.

These cards have gone through a few iterations. At first the scenario was WAY too hard. I think I may have swung the pendulum too far the other way. Also, the Elves probably have an easier time with this one w/ the Storm Sorceresses.

My goals for this scenario were to give some utility to cards which were not very usable for solitaire play (Bowman, Skeleton Archer, Darnati Warrior, Manticore, etc) and allow for siege'ing neutral cities. This is accomplished by having an opposing army of units conducting Sieges. I also wanted to have a scenario somewhat centered around influence.

Civil War in Terrinoth [Objective, 8 influence]
If you successfully influence this card with a 'Spend Influence' action you win the game immediately.
At the end of each Event phase, the opposing army attacks the lowest strength city you control. If they are successful, they gain control of it.
If you control no cities, the army attacks your Home Realm instead.

Mustered Forces [Stage 1, Instant]
Take unit cards with total cost of 3 from your barracks and place them in the opposing army (you must spend as much of the 3 as possible).

Bribery [Stage 1, Instant]
You may destroy any number of gold cards in your hand. Then take X unit cards from your barracks, where X is the number of gold cards in your hand, and place them in the opposing army.

Opposition Leader [Stage 1, Enemy, 1 Influence, 9 Strength, Attrition die]
If defeated, claim this card as a Reward.

Diplomacy [Stage 2, Instant]
You may exhaust and then destroy any number of unexhausted cards you control that generate influence.
For each point of influence generated, the strength of attacks against you until the next Event phase begins are reduced by that amount.

Recruited Forces [Stage 2, Instant]
Take unit cards with total cost of X from your barracks, where X is the number of cities and strongolds you control, and place them in the the opposing army.

Influential Leader [Stage 2, Enemy, 2 Influence, 11 Strength]
If defeated, claim this card as a Reward.
The influence cost to retain a card during the 'Discard Hand' step is increased by 1.

Propaganda [Stage 2, Instant]
Take one neutral city from the unused pile and place it in the opposing army's play area. Then take 3 unit cards from your barracks and place them in the opposing army.

Campaign Army [Stage 2, Instant]
Take one card from the highest cost unit pile in your barracks and place it in the opposing army.

Details not on cards:

- Neutral cards are Sorcerer, Manticore, Demon
- The 'opposing army' is all unit cards in the army placed at the other side of your playing area forming a separate play area.
- When choosing units from your barracks, unless specified, start with the lowest cost units first.
- When choosing units from your barracks, if there are no longer units to take, they are taken from your hand instead unless you pay their cost in influence.
This also applies to the Campaign Army card, if there is not a Unit of a particular type in your barracks, but one in your hand, you use that one.
- If the full cost of a unit is not met, it is not added to the opposing army.
- The opposing army does not lay down units one as a time as in a regular Siege, they are 1 Unit with a combined strength of the total strength of all participating cards.
- All abilities of the units in the opposing army are ignored.
- Only faction units can be in the opposing army.
- Choosing a city for the opposing army to attack only takes into account the takeover strength cost, not the defense/influence/etc.
- When calculating the cost of units or cities, it is their printed cost. Abilities that modify the cost of these cards do not apply.
- In the event of a tie for the cost of units or strength of cities, you choose.
- To win back a city you lost to a siege, you must defeat it just as you would against a human player by declaring it as a target and commiting enough strength to exceed the total army value plus the city's defense value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only opportunity I have for now is to play this game solo, so I more solo scenarios are exciting, but I think it would be easier to play if we came up with more scenarios using the existing cards (except the scenario card of course). I don't know the game well enough to think any up yet, but that's the way i'd homebrew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SJack wrote:
The only opportunity I have for now is to play this game solo, so I more solo scenarios are exciting, but I think it would be easier to play if we came up with more scenarios using the existing cards (except the scenario card of course). I don't know the game well enough to think any up yet, but that's the way i'd homebrew.

True, that would be a more accessible way to do homebrew scenarios for sure. I may try something like that next.

I just was looking to utilize some of the non-solitaire friendly cards which required some elements that the existing scenarios do not have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Jenkinson
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received my copy of this game a couple of days ago - purchased mainly to play it solitaire. Now that I've played 3-4 Resurgence of the Dragonlords, I feel I know the system decently enough (at least with the Uthuk deck).

Your scenario here looks very interesting, since it mimics multiplayer play which I haven't experienced yet.

I reformatted your text into actual cards to print out and use, has both fronts and backs. I can upload the Word document to "Files" with your permission, or submit it to you.

Anyways, looking forward to trying it out - I'll let you know how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
transcend11 wrote:
I just received my copy of this game a couple of days ago - purchased mainly to play it solitaire. Now that I've played 3-4 Resurgence of the Dragonlords, I feel I know the system decently enough (at least with the Uthuk deck).

Your scenario here looks very interesting, since it mimics multiplayer play which I haven't experienced yet.

I reformatted your text into actual cards to print out and use, has both fronts and backs. I can upload the Word document to "Files" with your permission, or submit it to you.

Cool! Be curious to see how it plays for you.

Sounds good, sure submit them. There's still more work to be done though both creative and balancing. I've gone over the balancing part once after playing my initial cards a few times. I think it might be a little too easy now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Jenkinson
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
telengard wrote:
transcend11 wrote:

Sounds good, sure submit them. There's still more work to be done though both creative and balancing. I've gone over the balancing part once after playing my initial cards a few times. I think it might be a little too easy now.

First game was fun! I played with the Uthuk deck and it was enjoyable to be able to use the different abilities that are useless in solitaire play - really showed me the flexibility of the game.

I did win the game, although there were a couple of sticky rounds when the 'opponent' had over 8 of my cards, made especially worse when I had to add 3 to them and all I only had were my expensive units! However, with the Manticore's help to destroy enemy units, I was able to trim the opponent down and raise the 8 influence.

I'll see how subsequent games turn out before I make a statement on the challenge. I can't say I have any feedback yet on how we might balance this if it is too easy - it may be helpful to see your draft of the more difficult version if you still have it available?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
transcend11 wrote:
telengard wrote:
transcend11 wrote:

First game was fun! I played with the Uthuk deck and it was enjoyable to be able to use the different abilities that are useless in solitaire play - really showed me the flexibility of the game.

I did win the game, although there were a couple of sticky rounds when the 'opponent' had over 8 of my cards, made especially worse when I had to add 3 to them and all I only had were my expensive units! However, with the Manticore's help to destroy enemy units, I was able to trim the opponent down and raise the 8 influence.

I'll see how subsequent games turn out before I make a statement on the challenge. I can't say I have any feedback yet on how we might balance this if it is too easy - it may be helpful to see your draft of the more difficult version if you still have it available?

I don't seem to have the info on my initial version. I will do this going forward though with subsequent revisions. Hoping to get a play in tonight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m Vlad
Romania
flag msg tools
mb
I just downloaded your Scenario, maybe tomorrow I´m giving it a go, can´t wait. There are two questions, can it be played with more than 1player?Are you going to make another anytime soon ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvl4d wrote:
I just downloaded your Scenario, maybe tomorrow I´m giving it a go, can´t wait. There are two questions, can it be played with more than 1player?Are you going to make another anytime soon ?

Hmm, never thought of it being multiplayer. I do want to make more, hoping to at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.