Ian Vincent
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The official line is that the map collections require either the original or European sets. The resourceful playing community has come up with alternative suggestions, which I'm reposting (thanks to all who contributed).

Owners of both Marklin and Nordic are sorted for India or Asia. You can use the train cards from Nordic and the plastic train cars from Marklin. The main downside is that you will be stuck with black, yellow and red train cars for team Asia [edit - unless you mix train purple/white cars from your two sets].

Owners of Marklin can buy a spare set of original or Europe cards from the online store (subject to stock and postage costs). The European cards are slightly more expensive and are more pleasant to play with because they're much larger than the original's. Check your Marklin box for a discount code before you order!

Owners of Nordic are well placed for the India collection. Check you still have your spare train cars (45 total in each colour) and all you'll be missing is the train cars for a fourth Indian player. You bought Nordic because you tend to play with two or three, right? Asia is more problematic and I'd suggest buying one of the five player maps first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DTee wrote:
Owners of both Marklin and Nordic are sorted for India or Asia. ... The main downside is that you will be stuck with black, yellow and red train cars for team Asia.

Why? If you own both, you'll have two sets of purple and white trains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 45 green Settlers roads in my Nordic Countries box, just in case I can ever get a fourth player.

(Also some stations for each player, to make sure 4-player Scandy doesn't get too nasty)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KAndrw wrote:
I have 45 green Settlers roads in my Nordic Countries box, just in case I can ever get a fourth player.

(Also some stations for each player, to make sure 4-player Scandy doesn't get too nasty)

I've only ever played Nordic Countries 2-player. Can you share what you mean about the stations and how it avoids nastiness in a 4-player game, and if you've since used this variation with the "Scandy" map how did it work out?

I was already planning on buying the Mayday Premium Wooden Train Tokens which has 50 each of 7colors: Blue, Green, Black, Yellow, Red, White & Purple.

With those extra colored trains will I be able to use my base Nordic set to fully play both maps of this expansion now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
I was already planning on buying the Mayday Premium Wooden Train Tokens which has 50 each of 7colors: Blue, Green, Black, Yellow, Red, White & Purple.

With those extra colored trains will I be able to use my base Nordic set to fully play both maps of this expansion now?

Yes, you can use the cards from Nordic and you'll have more than enough wooden trains. Use 45 trains per player for India or 40 for Switzerland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Bear
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a newbie to TTR; I didn't realize when I just posted in [article=http://boardgamegeek.com/article/9038258#9038258]this reply[/article] that Nordic or Marklin may not come with what's needed to play either the India/Swiss map or Asia non-team.

Actually, I just now read [thread=http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/695893/not-compatible-with-m...]this thread[/thread], and to sum up, it seems as if Marklin has 8 less train cards than USA or Europe? One reply in that thread said Marklin is short 1 each of the 8 diff train colors, and another suggested removing one locomotive. You'd also remove 4 extra wilds and the passenger cards, besides not using the Merchandise Tokens or Passenger features at all. Or you can buy a card set from DOW for $5 or so? Or buy an extra mini eurosize deck from someone who doesn't need it . . .

As far as # of trains, # of players, it'd be just my hubby & I, with rarely my high-functioning autistic daughter, playing, so that doesn't seem to be a problem for either double-sided set of maps (with the number of trains/colors in Marklin or Nordic); as posted in the first thread I reference above, the Asia non-team side would seem to hit a sweet enough spot for us that not ever using the other side doesn't decrease the value for us.

I'm basically typing this out to summarize what I've learned for myself; as well some other newbie may find it useful. The only thing I haven't really summarized that the other, 2nd-referenced thread adds to what this thread teaches, is for those who want more players than the trains from Marklin or Nordic might be able to accomodate; you however have addressed that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.