Subject: A negative thing about the expansion encounter decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomas Riha
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are so very quest specific that it's quite hard to make new quests based on them.

in the core set they split it into smaller decks where some where more generic and some where more quest specific.

The expansions would be much more useful if they had split the encounter deck into two sets for each expansion one more generic and one with the specifics. Maybe even expand upon the already existing generics, but guess that would make testing harder as you would need to regression test all the old quests.

Anyways I was hoping they would encourage more player made quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hidahl
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose the pre-compiled encounter sets do provide an easy reference for entire groups of cards to just throw into a scenario simultaneously, however I think that if one were so inclined he could hand select individual cards from any number of encounter sets, i.e. do a bit of deeper deck-building for their ideal scenario experience he wants to create. Include only the encounter cards you want for the scenario, and exclude any scenario specific cards.

That is if you don't mind throwing easy reference out the window and having a more complicated list of which specific individual cards you're asking the player to shuffle into the encounter deck.

This would open up more possibilities in custom scenario creation, including the potential to make use of extra encounter cards from multiple cores, e.g. "I think I want them to face up to SIX Necromancer's Reaches, MUAHAHAHAAAAH!!!"

Ahem...sorry. I went off just a little bit there. Excuse me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things that really excited me about LotR:LCG was the story telling mechanism inherent to the location card system.

I think it would be awesome if there were generic location cards and decks like "Castle Ruins". The event deck tied into these cards would have the type of things you would expect to find exploring the ruins of an ancient castle... (crumbling walls, secret passages, trapdoors, bats, etc...)

You could mix that deck with "Orc Tribe" and create castle ruins that are infested with orcs. Let's say the tribe is led by an evil Necromancer, shuffle that deck in too. Add a few objective cards that are treasures the party is seeking and presto, instant adventure.

Maybe it's going to be a longer quest. Start with the "Iron Hills" deck that the Heros must travel through first (mixed with some Dwarf ally cards and some troll badguy cards), after getting through three locations, the heros arrive at the castle ruins, set aside the Iron Hills deck, and than start playing through the Castle Ruins deck.

i think we're on the same wavelength here Texmurphy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
TexMurphy wrote:
They are so very quest specific that it's quite hard to make new quests based on them.

in the core set they split it into smaller decks where some where more generic and some where more quest specific.

The expansions would be much more useful if they had split the encounter deck into two sets for each expansion one more generic and one with the specifics. Maybe even expand upon the already existing generics, but guess that would make testing harder as you would need to regression test all the old quests.

Anyways I was hoping they would encourage more player made quests.

Agree totally, it's been tricky working around them and has put me off a little from designing more quests tbh. They could have just broken each new expansion encounter deck down into 3 groups and this would have made things much easier. But it seems like user generated scenarios are not on FFG's priority list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reply to my thread/petition in the ffg forum here:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...
maybe they hear us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alphonso De la Red
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with all this. But of course, it's easier for FFG to make people buy their quests, rather than to make some of our own.

Of course, it's much more fiddly, but you can always create new encounter decks with cards from different decks. No ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, many new expansions to come fot this title. It could go in many different directions. For now, LotR is a deckbuilder's game. Maybe over time it will develope into a quest builders game as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
Yup, many new expansions to come fot this title. It could go in many different directions. For now, LotR is a deckbuilder's game. Maybe over time it will develope into a quest builders game as well.
funny, usually people say, it's not yet really a deckbuilding game until enough expansions are released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hidahl
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
letsdance wrote:
Cracky wrote:
funny, usually people say, it's not yet really a deckbuilding game until enough expansions are released.

Technically, it's still not a deck-building game. "Deck-building game" is a term which refers to games such as Dominion and it's successors, in which building a deck is what you do during gameplay and not before it, as you do with games such as Lord of the Rings: The Card Game and Magic, etc.

Sorry. I think that'd be clear to anyone who's played an actual DBG, but if you haven't, then I understand the mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All right, i'll bite. What do we refer to deck building ccgs/lcgs such as Magic or LotR? Is deck construction the correct term?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic is a CCG. Collectable Card Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thread sucessfully derailed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Berends
Australia
Waurn Ponds (Geelong)
Vic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
letsdance wrote:
reply to my thread/petition in the ffg forum here:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...
maybe they hear us.

Great idea.
Does not look like you are getting much support in that thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Fed
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
All right, i'll bite. What do we refer to deck building ccgs/lcgs such as Magic or LotR? Is deck construction the correct term?

Technically you are not biting, but asking a question.

Also technically the names of the games are Magic: The Gathering and The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game.

It's clear we can't operate on a level of understanding without pointing out such technicalities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hidahl
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay. I'm so sorry, everyone. blushyukgulpcry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.