Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Nexus Ops a few times, and liked it quite a bit. However I keep hearing that playing it as a 2vs2 team game takes it from good to great.

After searching the variants forum here I didn't find anything about it. I'd love to hear from people who've tried it, what rules changes there are and such.

e.g. Are allies allowed to pool in a hex? Are there shared units? What about cards? Stuff like that.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game but a friend used to. I think the team game is in the rulebook. It's permanent allies on opposite sides of the board. Lots of fun but makes the game a fair bit longer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a few games that were sorta team games.
The only rule changes to the 4 player games were:
1: You don't ever fight your allies. If you both share a hex you don't engage in combat.
2: Each team needs to rack up double the number of points that would be required in a non-team game.

Erm... actually that's pretty much it. Changing the rules on sector control is just asking for peeps to abuse the Monolith and 3 point mines.

I suppose you could add in rules for sharing resources with your allies, I'd probably stick to giving your allies Rubium though. you could trade missions, but that wouldn't work quite as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The team game is in the rulebook; you pretty much play as separate factions but VP are shared. You can also pass a card to your ally on your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin C
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
marhawkman wrote:
I've played a few games that were sorta team games.
The only rule changes to the 4 player games were:
1: You don't ever fight your allies. If you both share a hex you don't engage in combat.
2: Each team needs to rack up double the number of points that would be required in a non-team game.

Not quite correct. You play to a combined 20 points (rather than 12 points) and you can give one card a turn to your partner.

Universal Head's Player Aid wrote:

Set up the game for a 4-player game and split into two 2-player teams, with partners sitting across from each other.
The first team to reach a combined total of 20 VP wins.
At the end of a player’s turn, his partner may pass any one card to him face down.
If a player moves into a hex with any number of his partner’s units, there is no battle, but the hex is still considered contested (eg. neither player draws rubium from a mine there). Units may move through a hex containing partner’s units as long as there are no opponent’s units there.
All discussion must be public, and a card shown to a partner must be shown to all players (not including the card passed at the end of a turn).
If a player is eliminated, his partner may continue to play for victory, still counting their combined VP total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fateswanderer wrote:
The team game is in the rulebook

Doh! I thought I had gone through the rulebook and hadn't found it. Oh well...

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
ah! I forgot there was an official version!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
Australia
Colonel Light Gardens
SA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mention the team variant briefly towards the end of my recenly posted video review. The team variant adds an extra tactical element to the game.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/10147/nexus-ops/the-famil...

I also create a poll about it here:

4-player. Do you prefer to play in teams or as individuals? Please vote!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After trying out the team variant tonight, I vastly prefer that to the free for all game. So much more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main draw of the team game, for me (and I'll never play 4-player without it again) is it eliminates the left/right binding issue.

If the player across from you is looking to win, in free-for-all, there's almost nothing you can do about it. In a 3 player game, this isn't an issue as you border both your opponents.

Two things that often get overlooked in a team game:

1. You pass a card to your partner at the end of his/her turn. So you have to think ahead somewhat.

2. Sharing a hex is acceptable, but it still counts as a disputed territory, so no mining.

and a bonus thing, obtained (I believe) from our forums:

B. Start-of-Turn Energize cards can never be played for your teammate, the way that Battle Cards can. Trust me, a couple of them are way too confusing anyway to use in that fashion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.