Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions

Subject: EpicCon Philly? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's soon, but still no schedule. Does anyone have any inside info?
http://www.epiccon.com/philadelphia-2011/
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Avatar
lfisher wrote:
It's soon, but still no schedule. Does anyone have any inside info?
http://www.epiccon.com/philadelphia-2011/


I'd like to know more about whether there will be board game retailers there (if so, who?), what type of board game library will be available, and how many event fees will be charged. If there are plans for tournaments, what types of tournaments? It's 2 weeks away. Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick A
United States
Exton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in the open gaming, but lack of details on the web site for the philly event are quite concerning...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike C.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I just might make the trip down from NYC to check this out. But the info is very generic.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick A
United States
Exton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I sent an email to Cryptozoic and received the following response:

Quote:
Hello Nick,

As mentioned on the bottom of www.epiccon.com, the Board Game Library is a part of every Epic Con.

For just $5, you can rent a game from our library for 4 hours. All proceeds go to Child’s Play, a charity based in the game industry that has collected over 7 million dollars in donations of toys, games, books and cash for sick kids in children’s hospitals across North America. Being sick in a hospital sucks, especially for kids.

I hope this information is helpful, and if you have any additional questions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact us.


-The Cryptozoic Team


Kinda a copy-paste response, so I sent the following reply to try to get some more info:

Quote:
Hi thanks for the response,

I was hoping to get a better feel for what the con will be like. What hours will the library be open during the con? Do you have a full list of games available? Do you have an estimate of the number of attendees you expect at the con an in the library?

Thanks!

Nick


I'll let you know what this yields.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Avatar
drazkor wrote:
I sent an email to Cryptozoic and received the following response:

Quote:
Hello Nick,

As mentioned on the bottom of www.epiccon.com, the Board Game Library is a part of every Epic Con.

For just $5, you can rent a game from our library for 4 hours. All proceeds go to Child’s Play, a charity based in the game industry that has collected over 7 million dollars in donations of toys, games, books and cash for sick kids in children’s hospitals across North America. Being sick in a hospital sucks, especially for kids.

I hope this information is helpful, and if you have any additional questions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact us.


-The Cryptozoic Team



Kinda a copy-paste response, so I sent the following reply to try to get some more info:

Quote:
Hi thanks for the response,

I was hoping to get a better feel for what the con will be like. What hours will the library be open during the con? Do you have a full list of games available? Do you have an estimate of the number of attendees you expect at the con an in the library?

Thanks!

Nick


I'll let you know what this yields.




Hey Nick-

While they haven't been forthcoming about the event schedule for Philly, here is what they had about the game library for Las Vegas this year (below). Also it doesn't appear there are board game events, just WoW, Magic, and Star Wars CCG. My guess is the game library should be similar.

-----Vegas site-----------------
Want to keep it casual at Epic Con, sampling games at your leisure and playing on your own schedule? Get involved with the Board Game Library. For just $5, you can rent a game from our library for 4 hours. All proceeds go to Child’s Play, a charity based in the game industry that has collected over 7 million dollars in donations of toys, games, books and cash for sick kids in children’s hospitals across North America. Being sick in a hospital sucks, especially for kids. You can help make it less sucky with your donation as you sample a bunch of new board games.

Just some of the games we’ll have available:

Settlers of Catan

Battlestar Galactica

Ascension

Race for the Galaxy

Puerto Rico

Dominion

Dungeon Lords

Pandemic

Carcassonne

Munchkin

7 Wonders

Dixit

Thunderstone

Power Grid

Bohnanza

Talisman

Steam

Ticket to Ride

Titan

Resident Evil

World of Warcraft: The Board Game

And if you like the game, you can buy it on Sunday for 30% off of MSRP and bring it home! If you want to guarantee your copy, you can pay at any time during the weekend and pick up the game on Sunday afternoon.

If you don’t have a party big enough to play the game as a group, we have scheduled times when you can meet up with others and get your game on.

Las Vegas Schedule

Friday

4 PM: Ticket to Ride

6 PM: Settlers of Catan

8 PM: Ascension

Saturday

1 PM: 7 Wonders

3 PM: Dominion

5 PM: Race for the Galaxy

7 PM: Carcassonne

8 PM: Resident Evil

Sunday

11 AM: Pandemic

1 PM: Agricola

3 PM: Dixit

Board Game Hours

Friday: Noon – 10 PM

Saturday: 10 AM – 10 PM

Sunday: 10 AM – 6 PM (Sales of games available all day at 30% off MSRP)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah I guess the main questions are
What kind of space is there for open gaming and what time is it available and does it cost anything?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick A
United States
Exton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like cost is $5 a game. Split a few ways, that isn't terrible (unless you are playing a lot of really short games).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick A
United States
Exton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I got back some more info that didn't really elaborate on what we already know.

I think I'm going to go anyway on Friday. My sister is interested, so we'll be in the open gaming area. Since the con doesn't cost anything to get in, we will not be out much if it doesn't turn out to be that exciting. I'm hoping it I'll be fun though!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F.
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hm?
badge
Hi!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid I'm going to walk into the convention center tomorrow and noone will have any idea what I'm talking about when I ask where the boardgaming is.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick A
United States
Exton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jimtwo wrote:
I'm afraid I'm going to walk into the convention center tomorrow and noone will have any idea what I'm talking about when I ask where the boardgaming is.


They will not.

I stopped by today. There were tones of magic and wow card players, but not much else. There was one table with maybe a dozen board games on it, but all in shrink wrap. Were these games supposed to be for open gaming? The people behind the table were not even sure where they had come from or what they were there for. Clearly this is not a board game convention.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Avatar
drazkor wrote:
jimtwo wrote:
I'm afraid I'm going to walk into the convention center tomorrow and noone will have any idea what I'm talking about when I ask where the boardgaming is.


They will not.

I stopped by today. There were tones of magic and wow card players, but not much else. There was one table with maybe a dozen board games on it, but all in shrink wrap. Were these games supposed to be for open gaming? The people behind the table were not even sure where they had come from or what they were there for. Clearly this is not a board game convention.


That's what I sort of figured. Sorry it wasn't any better!

TJs tomorrow.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.