Race for the Galaxy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Gambling World question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rachel
msg tools
What is the table for?

dice -> ?

I assume that's the "name 1-7 and flip a card, keep it if the cost or defense matches" (I'm assuming what you called).

The table has weird numbers from 1-12, as far as I can tell, there is no defense 12, but there are 3, 12's next to the defense line....which just leaves me 100% confused...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rbtrumpet wrote:
What is the table for?

dice -> ?

I assume that's the "name 1-7 and flip a card, keep it if the cost or defense matches" (I'm assuming what you called).

The table has weird numbers from 1-12, as far as I can tell, there is no defense 12, but there are 3, 12's next to the defense line....which just leaves me 100% confused...

Correct.

The dice icon is just a generic symbol for gambling. There isn't actually any die rolling involved.

The table shows the card distribution by cost/defense. This wasn't really necessary perse.... I suppose the design of this wanted this to be available so a player using it would know what the odds of finding a card were.

The way to read it is...
--Top row is a header, and shows the cost/defense of the card
--2nd row from the top shows how many devs have that cost. Line up the columns to find out how many devs are at that cost.
--Rinse and repeat for the last 2 rows, but substitute non-military worlds and military worlds in the dev's place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
So, for example, in the base game (version on the left), there are 30 cards with cost or defense 2 (12 +11 +7), so calling "2" is the best way to get an card, unless there are a lot of 2s (including the start worlds) in play. Out of 114 cards, 30 of them are 2s (about a 1/4 chance).

However, if you don't have a 6-dev and are looking for one, you can reduce the odds of getting a card from ~1/4 to ~1/7 by calling "6" instead of "2", for a ~10% shot at drawing a 6-dev (12 out of 114 cards in the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This is one of those things that is kind of confusing at first, but then you realize how useful it is and how amazing the designer is for including things like this so you can make informed decisions. I just got Time Agent (another one of Tom's games), and the player aids are amazing - they are filled with this kind of information. It's almost overwhelming at first, but you have to appreciate a designer (and publisher) that thinks of the little things to make gameplay smoother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel
msg tools
gotcha, thanks!

Yeah, I can see how it's helpful to know, if you know what you're looking at
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.