Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps I'm an elitist (I blame BGG for making me that way), but I can be very jaded. There are a lot of popular games which I absolutely detest. It's to the point where when I hear someone express an interest in games outside the Hasbro canon, my reaction is not joy but dread. I don't even bother asking what games they like anymore, because I already know the answer.

"Oh, have you ever heard of Fluxx?"

"We play Munchkin every week. I've got most of them. I just picked up Jane Austen Munchkin the other day!"

"Anyone interested in a weekly Apples to Apples game night?"

gulp

I used to like all those games. I'll still play, and even suggest, Apples to Apples on occasions when I'm entertaining people who I don't think would be up for something more challenging. I'd be willing to play Fluxx once in a while. I won't touch Munchkin.

But... I can't help it. Every time I hear one of those answers, it breaks my heart. Like I said, I can't take it anymore. I don't even bother asking. I don't bring it up in the first place. Some people don't mention that they're gamers because they're afraid of the social stigma; I don't mention it because I'm afraid I'll meet "the wrong kind of gamer."

Yeah, I'm an elitist asshole. But I keep it to myself. That's why I'm venting here.

EDITED TO ADD: -50 DKP to the first person to say something like, "I would totally buy Jane Austen Munchkin!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The answer is simple: Play what you ant to play. Don't play what you don't want to play. If that means, sitting out, sit out. If that means making groups specifically to play the games you want to play, make those groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with JC; just build new game groups. I normally have trouble converting/encouraging Munchkin and Apples-to-Apples players to try the games that interest me. It's usually much easier to pull non-gamers in than those who've already found their niche. Just because someone is a gamer hardly means that they will be a productive addition to a new game group. I try to look for players who have some interest in the kinds of problems and puzzles that the games I like present (as well as being pleasant and interesting in the kind of light conversation that often accompanies games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude! There's a Jane Austin Munchkin?! Is it pre-order?! Where can I pre-order it? Why are not everyone pre-ordering Jane Austin Munchkin?

There needs to be a Genneral Hospital Munchkin, too! I can has General Hospital Munchkin?

(sorry, absolutely could not resist. I tried. I did, really! I do agree with your post though...I sometimes hold back mentioning I play boardgames, to avoid the inevitable "Like Monopoly?" frustration)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Kruger
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People make the transition to 'good' board games at different rates, and they only get there through exposure to 'good' games. When I first started serious board gaming five years ago, I was a sponge and could not get enough of all board games, meaty and light.

You are not obligated to evangelize 'good' board games to the unenlightened; however, if you choose to help them along, you are doing them a favor, especially if they think that an evening of Jenga qualifies as 'board game night.'

I also act the occasional snob, but I try to help my family and relatives by teaching them some of my favorite gateway games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:

Yeah, I'm an elitist asshole. But I keep it to myself. That's why I'm venting here.

Dude... no matter how elite you think you are, there's an ASL or a Go player out there who thinks you play kid's games. And if you lose the elitist part of the equation, what's left? So loosen the valve and let some of the gas out. None of us are so cool that we can sneer at other gamers with impunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mead
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
But I keep it to myself. That's why I'm venting here.

I love the irony here.

I would totaly buy a version of "Pride & Prejudice & Zombies" Munchkin. I bet they come out with that as an expansion for Zombie Munchkin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Hehehehe...

I think I know what you're doing here, and if I'm right I love it...

Other posters - step back a little, and look at the general attitude that, like it or not, BGG gives off with regard to what the vast majority of the population thinks of when you say "board game". The key here was the phrase "wrong kind of gamer"...

Nice to see it turned on its head
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaded Lounges
United States
Vashon
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Noli me tangere, Caesaris sum.
mbmbmbmbmb
dochogan wrote:
Dude! There's a Jane Austin Munchkin?! Is it pre-order?! Where can I pre-order it? Why are not everyone pre-ordering Jane Austin Munchkin?

Thumb for the "Why are not everyone . . ." reference. It seems I can't get enough of that joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, if you've really rated Rocketville a "9", then you don't have much to be elitist about anyway. I'm just saying.

** This post is intended in jest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Lincoln
NE: NEBRASKA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's easy to look down on others, but don't worry, there are always plenty more people looking down on you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chibigouazou wrote:
dochogan wrote:

Thumb for the "Why are not everyone . . ." reference. It seems I can't get enough of that joke.

Yeah, it's sort of like BGG's own, personal "All your base are belong to us."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
The answer is simple: Play what you ant to play. Don't play what you don't want to play. If that means, sitting out, sit out. If that means making groups specifically to play the games you want to play, make those groups.

Unlike JC, I believe people are more important than games. I would rather play a game I hated with people I love rather than a game I love with people I hate. True story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Elder
msg tools
badge
machosancho wrote:
I would totaly buy a version of "Pride & Prejudice & Zombies" Munchkin. I bet they come out with that as an expansion for Zombie Munchkin.

You give yourself away, good sir, you are no true fan of one of the best selling game series of all time: There is no "Zombie Munchkin". "Munchkin Zombies" on the other hand. (Unless of course you're privy to secret rites and you've just let slip news of the latest dram of milk to be lovingly teased from the teat of that cash cow.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Cooper
United States
Troy
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, check out my wicked cool Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy badge: I would TOTALLY buy Jane Austen Munchkin.

or Jane Austen AH, Pemberly Horror expansion
or Jane Austen Fluxx: Repressed English expansion
etc.

Bring. It. On.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
...but I can be very jaded.

I'd be jaded as well if I lived in Revere. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:

"Oh, have you ever heard of Fluxx?"

"We play Munchkin every week. I've got most of them. I just picked up Jane Austen Munchkin the other day!"

"Anyone interested in a weekly Apples to Apples game night?"

gulp

When I first got into gaming real big, just last year around May, I started to feel that way shortly thereafter myself. I came around full circle again. You can't fault people for what they think is fun. For most people outside BGG games are a light diversion to do amongst distractions such as beer, pizza, music, and conversation. And there's nothing wrong with that.

When my mind needs a good workout, I can sit comfortably in my home and write a computer program/script or study for a certification exam for work. When I want to have fun and enjoy the company of others, I play games. It doesn't matter if I'm playing Hansa Teutonica or Tiddly Winks, so long as the company is good and I'm having fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may not be eager to buy Jane Austen Munchkin, but I would demo the hell out of it.

I fail to see how publicly posting something for thousands of people to see constitutes "keeping it to yourself"

Wheaton's Law. Hold it sacred.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK WADDLE
United States
Austin
texAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are very valid in expressing this !!

And every since I became a charter member of the Quates ( Quarriors hate club) I am really starting to be a bit this way myself.

Don't get me wrong, I will indeed admit I have fanboy love myself for many " hot" games ( Troyes, Fresco ) -- but ever since I have watched a BROKEN game illicit reactions in people that make me think the dice are dipped in crack -- I totally see what you are saying.

And even that I don't agree with you in one way-- for someone who also loves to play Splotter games-- I really DO Love Party games-- not an usual BGG party-game snob here at all -- But JMO I despise Apples to Apples-- I think mechanic is very clever and cute but I am SO not into this subjective " the judge" picks the " best" answer BS. Again.. JMO. YMMV and such.. wonderful topic .. thanks for posting !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK WADDLE
United States
Austin
texAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to again provide support for the OP-- since everyone else has totally jumped down his throat.

Yes, if you hate games other people around you love or vice versa, then it's quite the light-a-candle option to just alter your players situation if possible.

But IMO ( and god knows evidently the OP has no right to his opinion ) he has a right to feel this way if he chooses. It's not like he was trying to convince people go along with it, he was just stating it,

And in all hilarity-- I too would give a limb to see a Jane Austen Munchkin OR a General Hospital Munchkin. heh.

Carry on said piling up on the OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eigen
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In my game group, all but myself and one other person like munchkin, we always manage to avoid playing it. Same with Fluxx.
This works because I have found games that everyone likes, and just suggest them instead.

Although if someone was a die hard fan, I think it would be a different matter... D:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jane Austen Munchkin will never happen. Jane Austen Fluxx I can see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I would like to play all of Fluxx, Munchkin and Monopoly.

Because I haven't played the first two at all or the last one by the rules.

I thought Fluxx seemed nice and fun at first. But then I looked around more at BGG. Munchkin I have no idea about, maybe it's too random and maybe you want to play a real game instead =P. Btw. I heard Duke Nuke'm forever had urine and feces already within the first couple of minutes. AWESOME!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
Asmor wrote:
I don't even bother asking what games they like anymore
Well, if you were a girl you wouldn't even get honest answers / meet no gamers:

- Do you like to play games?
- ??, well, yeah!
* punch in the stomach*

What? Are you saying that girls who say they play games get punched in the stomach? Or that people who tell girls they play games get punched in the stomach? I am totally confused by this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:

I don't think you're elitist. You like what you like, that's it. Echoing JC, play what you like, don't play what you don't like. Anything else makes no sense; boardgaming is supposed to be enjoyable, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.