Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Mead
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I am halfway through A Dance With Dragons, and I have noticed that there has been an increased emphasis on the in-novel game of Cyvasse. It may be perhaps due to the fact that much of the story takes place on the sea, so the game is used as a way to pass time (though mention of the game happens often on land too). Without giving up too much story, the game is definitely used as a tool to further agendas.

It has gotten me to wonder what the game would look like. I personally imagine a hybrid of chess and Runewars, though I have never played Runewars. If you look through the Song of Ice and Fire websites, you will eventually come across some fan made ideas of the game. I have to wonder if perhaps George R. R. Martin and Fantasy Flight Games (since they own the license) have an upcoming game announcement?

That's just wishful thinking on my part, but what do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. C. Nelson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe it'd be something like Feudal. Also, probably wishful thinking, since FFG already has a couple of Song of Ice and Fire themed franchises for which they can spin off many low effort/high profit expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Loefgren
Denmark
Valby
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my free boardgame War Galley
badge
Check out my free boardgame War Galley
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure someone *somewhere* is compiling all the lines where Cyvasse is mentioned in the series (but remember two full books still remain in the series, so a lot might change still)

I like Martin's descriptions of the game, and imagine it to be like a cross between chess and Stratego
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
loeffe wrote:
I'm sure someone *somewhere* is compiling all the lines where Cyvasse is mentioned in the series (but remember two full books still remain in the series, so a lot might change still)[/thing]

Unfortunately, that person is likely a person who understands Martin`s world, and not game design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What is Cyvasse
Cyvasse is a board game played in the series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin. Martin claims that there are no rules, and that it is a mix of Chess, Stratego, and Blitzkrieg. Looking around the web there are many variations but none are close to complete, and I think they might be overlooking something. Martin himself is very well traveled, and when he says chess, I think he's using the more widely known version (to avoid confusion). I think he's actually thinking Xiangqi or Chinese chess.

http://skitzinc.wikispaces.com/Cyvasse

There's also this:

A round board.

Quote:
Has anyone designed a set of figures and rules for Cyvasse?
For me, it seems like some kind of a more complicated chess. What we know for sure:
There are 10 different kind of pieces.
The board is the same as in chess.
At the start of the game, the players align their pieces in a custom starting order.
There is a screen between the players at the start, so they can't see the other's starting order.
There is some kind of rock-paper-scissor between the pieces (trebuchet kills the dragon, for example)
Some pieces have special abilities (the dragon flies)
The known pieces are: king, dragon, mountain, elephant, crossbow, trebuchet, light horse, heavy horse. The remaining pieces are probably the spearman and the infantry.

More:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/27828-cyvasse/
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/53749-adwd-spoile...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stuart and anne till
England
STAFFORD
staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Old thread so not sure if anyone else is still on here, but check out http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/58545-complete-cy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now this is something where someone should just take the plunge, make a REALLY GOOD ABSTRACT, and call up George for an official license.

Cyvasse FTW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrswooey wrote:
Old thread so not sure if anyone else is still on here, but check out http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/58545-complete-cy...

Quote:
Sorry, you don't have permission for that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawk Strike
msg tools
mb
Late to the discussion but here's a link to a free pdf set of rules for Cyvasse that has a range of options for difficulty and type of board. There are tutorial videos at the site, too.

https://sites.google.com/site/nonamepublishing/Home/products...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Ses
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's listed here on BGG: Cyvasse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see a good game licensed and marketed as Cyvasse.

One game I played recently that reminded me of the descriptions in the book is Dragon Caster. It's a two-player spacial abstract where players send dragons with different powers toward each other. It has a dice mechanic I'm not fond of (rolling for actions) but otherwise the game isn't bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
loeffe wrote:
I'm sure someone *somewhere* is compiling all the lines where Cyvasse is mentioned in the series (but remember two full books still remain in the series, so a lot might change still)

I hear in Book 7 there's going to be an entire chapter that contains the complete rulebook. It comes just after the first Hot Pie chapter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.