3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Geek rating / avg. rating rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What exactly is the geek ratings? Who are determined as the geek? Thanks for the specification, its been many time im asking myself this question. It's time to know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, every game is given a large amount of "5" votes. I don't know the number, but let's say it's a thousand votes.

Then say 100 people give the game an average rating of 8. That's pretty good. But when you count in the thousand votes of 5, that makes the 'geek average' about 5.27, which is quite a bit lower than the actual rating of 8. This 5.27 is then used to rank the game, not the 8.

Baically, the geek rating is weighted towards the center of the spectrum, and the idea is to counterbalance the effect of a game being very highly rated by relatively few people, as well as to give more of an emphasis to more popular games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross G.
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Wisdom begins in wonder.
badge
Stale pastry is hollow succor to a man who is bereft of ostrich.
mbmbmbmbmb
It also disregards ratings that look like shills - for example users that log in once, rate a game a 1 or 10, and never return.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.