Power Grid» Forums » General

Subject: How to beat early leader? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dmitry Volevodz
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have only played like 5 games so take my words with grain of salt.
Usually in our games someone who gets fast 1 more city than the others wins the game.
It happens very early, on first 2 turns, some leader appears and nobody can touch him, and he just proceeds to win the game.
What are we doing wrong? Is there a way to beat leader? Except for blocking him, which is usually not going to happen?
I find this very unhealthy as in other games you usually have a chance to win usually up to last turn and here everything is decided on first couple of turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me take a guess: In your games, what is the most cities a player has built on one turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another possibility: Turn order mistakes. The player who is in the lead in cities gets the worst bids in the auction, the most expensive fuel, and last shot at building new cities. It is hard to hold on to the lead in cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found it fairly rare for an early player one (1st in player order is not necessarily synonymous with "leader" for various reasons) to win. It does happen occasionally, but quite often the 1st player will deliberately make themselves move down the player order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Have you read Power Grid FAQ? It does indeed sound like your group may be playing some rule wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshal Anderson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Another possibility: Turn order mistakes. The player who is in the lead in cities gets the worst bids in the auction, the most expensive fuel, and last shot at building new cities. It is hard to hold on to the lead in cities.

That's my guess too - being in 'first' position means you go last in pretty much every stage of the game. Managing your position in that order can be part of the strategy.

Grumbs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Dmitry, you should know that PG is rather notorious for the "obvious leader" to NOT win the game, because of catch-up mechanisms inherent in the rules. I'd also suspect that you guys have a rule wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Volevodz
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
Let me take a guess: In your games, what is the most cities a player has built on one turn?

3 or 4 I think. I will read the faq now.
We know the turn order, we do as said in rules, the first one starts bidding on plants, the last one starts buying resources etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Volevodz
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Actually we did something wrong, we were not allowing pass-through other player cities on step 1 without building there. Maybe it is the reason, but I doubt that? We barely had anyone locked out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
That is probably not the reason. I'd say stick with it. You probably have not discovered good strategies yet.

Tip for your next game: a simple strategy for winning by being "last". In the first auction, buy the number 4 plant. Pay 8 for it if you must, that is what it is worth at least. Buy 4 coal for this plant for 5 electro. You are now last (unless someone buys the 3, but that seldom happens). Next round, examine the future market and decide which plant you want to buy. As you are last in auction order, you can safely wait until it enters the market. If no good plant is coming up, buy something that allows you to spread out a little, but not something that brings you first in turn order. And make sure you get it at cost. Great plants to aim for are the 20 and 25.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Voley wrote:
Barticus88 wrote:

3 or 4 I think. I will read the faq now.
We know the turn order, we do as said in rules, the first one starts bidding on plants, the last one starts buying resources etc.

Building 3 or 4 during what point in the game? You aren't putting consumed resources directly back into the market, are you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Omnigamer and Devourer of Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Voley wrote:
I have only played like 5 games so take my words with grain of salt.
Usually in our games someone who gets fast 1 more city than the others wins the game.
It happens very early, on first 2 turns, some leader appears and nobody can touch him, and he just proceeds to win the game.
What are we doing wrong? Is there a way to beat leader? Except for blocking him, which is usually not going to happen?
I find this very unhealthy as in other games you usually have a chance to win usually up to last turn and here everything is decided on first couple of turns.

The key that I've found is to not to try to catch him. Let him get beat on for a turn or two with paying more for resources or plants. That way you can get a sweet plant for cheap and then leap frog them later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.