Rick Kowal
United States
Roselle
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all! New poster/long time lurker.

I'm going to play my first game of LNoE with friends tomorrow night since getting Growing Hunger and Survival of the Fittest. Mind you, we only played one night with vanilla, but it was enough to get us hooked(especially since more than half of the players are non-board gamers).

I am slightly nervous, as 2 expansions worth of rules might be too much for my non-board gaming friends to absorb. Is there any scenarios I should be avoiding(besides the basic one, as we realized how lame it was the last time we played)?

At any rate, hope to post the results of our session tomorrow night in the appropriate forum(with photos of my newly painted zombie horde)! zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Get to the Truck was really fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'd go with Get to the Truck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
actually I played it like 5 or 6 times and always had a lot of fun with the basic adventure off kiling all the zombies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kowal
United States
Roselle
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah we had fun with the basic scenario until the zombie players learned that running away was a viable strategy.

Thanks for the suggestions all. I think we will try that one out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Spencer
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'll absolutely agree with Escape in the Truck. It's easy to pick up, and usually it's pretty tense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I agree with Escape in the Truck as the best introductory scenario (and still fun for experienced players also). I'll just add that "Save the Townsfolk" is also well balanced and pretty straight forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hurricanespence wrote:
Yeah, I'll absolutely agree with Escape in the Truck. It's easy to pick up, and usually it's pretty tense.

Yeah our first attempt at it we had the gas and keys on about the 2nd turn, we thought oh this is too easy. And then of course we didn't get away until 1 turn before sundown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
177ark
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rikowal wrote:

I am slightly nervous, as 2 expansions worth of rules might be too much for my non-board gaming friends to absorb. Is there any scenarios I should be avoiding(besides the basic one, as we realized how lame it was the last time we played)?

Don't be nervous, it's NOT really 2 WHOLE expansions worth of rules...
The expansions introduce the new "dot system" of optional rules to add to any scenario. So depending on what "dot rules" you want to play with you'll only be adding that many new "rules."
Although, Survival of the Fittest can be kind of tricky with three new decks and conditions for drawing cards.

The "dot system" is where the true flavor of the game is. If you thought Die, Zombie, Die was vanilla, adding "Grave Dead" and/or "Grave Weapons" (balanced with Hero dot rules of course) would make it more interesting.

I agree Escape in the Truck would make for a good second game, maybe throw in the "Grave Dead" dot rules from Growing Hunger (balanced) to ease everyone into the expansions. If you're that worried, save Survival of the Fittest for when your "non-board gaming friends" have a little more experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jables
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The worst thing about Escape in the Truck is that the heroes can sometimes get the items needed straight away and it sucks big time for the zombies. In the base game, the card "Just what I needed.." allows you to take any scenario item out of the deck and put it in your hand. This is a terribly over powering card for the heroes.

But still a fun scenario.

Burn them out and Defend the Manor are my favourites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
Hurricanespence wrote:

Yeah our first attempt at it we had the gas and keys on about the 2nd turn, we thought oh this is too easy. And then of course we didn't get away until 1 turn before sundown.

Why did it take so long to get to the truck if you got the keys and gas on turn 2? How was all the in between time filled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fighting zombies to get back to the truck, then the zombies had swarmed the truck so we had to leave and search for actual weapons and first aid and stuff, then fight back to the truck. It was one of our earlier games so we weren't very good at it yet, so I'm sure that's part of it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kowal
United States
Roselle
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It actually went really well.

We played Escape in the Truck and All Hallows Eve, and it went really smooth for the most part. Both games were really close and it got really intense toward the last couple of turns.

Once again, thanks for the advice all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.