Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Juhl
Denmark
Ørbæk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
When I heard of KB and all the initial hype about it I was pretty exited. Maybe KB could be this years 7 Wonders? (Fantastic game by the way)

Then the rules came up...... meh. And left me completely cold. I cant come up with one possitive thing to say about it. It sound so amazingly dull. No exiting mechanics, gameplay, theme. No nothing.
Oh, the community made a word about this sort of game: JASE.

If this game was made by an unknown designer I dont guess anyone would be all worked up about it as the case is with this.
Just because he made Dominion does´nt actually mean everything he touches will turn into gold. As I guess you will discover sooner rather than later.

Prediction: This will by far be the biggest disapointment of the year.

So be my guest, rave about it as much as you like. I´m out of here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
mjuhl wrote:
When I heard of KB and all the initial hype about it I was pretty exited. Maybe KB could be this years 7 Wonders? (Fantastic game by the way)

Then the rules came up...... meh. And left me completely cold. I cant come up with one possitive thing to say about it. It sound so amazingly dull. No exiting mechanics, gameplay, theme. No nothing.

I dunno, you mention 7 Wonders which pretty much only has the mechanic of "play a card and pass the rest." That doesn't sound all that exciting either!

I actually got more excited about this one after reading the rules. The mechanisms here don't look incredibly innovative, but I can definitely see how it might have a "let's play just one more time" addictive quality to it, just as 7 Wonders does with its simplicity while not being all that innovative (there were many "play a card and pass the rest" games before 7 Wonders came around).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Boyle
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Proud Balmain Board Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the rules, it reminded me of just how much I enjoy Through the Desert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Ferrari
Italy
Bagnolo Cremasco
Cremona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy this game after first reading of the rules appears so simple. Gamers expect complex games, with complex rules, complex strategies, etc. They give high rates to these ones but tend not to consider so much and under evaluate these little pearls (like Through The Desert, Portobello Market, Grand Cru, etc.).

Someone says that with 2 players there there could be too few interaction. They could simply try to add additional tokens (60..80 for each player) or use a restricted board space (for example don't consider the external border).

I suppose this games is also prone to some interesting variants: as already mentioned here, you could try to keep in hand 2-3 cards instead of only one card... Even if I suppose this single card usage seems so intriguing..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read the rules, my first reaction was, "he's going for Spiel des Jahres again." And that's fine by me. It looks like a good family oriented strategy game, like Settlers of Catan. For me personally the jury is still out on this one, but I clearly see a potensial for KB to become a success in our home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakley
United Kingdom
Selby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trolls gonna troll. snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lucero
United States
Centennial
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me or does critiquing a game you've never played based soley on how it "sounds" seem like seem like a rather pretentious thing to do?

I once made this mistake some 15+ years ago when I became exposed to Eurogames via Settlers of Catan. I was so prejudice against that game. I thought it was the lamest looking game I ever saw. Until finally I was invited to sit down and play the game. Suffice to say, I couldn't have been more wrong. Now I know Settlers has it's fair share of haters (read: board game snobs), but it's legacy speaks for itself.

Many great games can appear to be uninteresting and boring to play. I still haven't played Agricola (one of the highest acclaimed games). By it's description it looks like an overly convoluted heaping pile of boring nonsense. I realize that I need to play this game to understand the hype. Prejudging it would be a mistake me thinks.

Interestingly enough, Dominion too seems completely bland and uninteresting just by reading the rules. Were it not for the rave reviews, I would never have tried what is now one of my top ten games.

Now I'm not defending this game. To me it looks completely dull and uninteresting. I don't think anything Donald X. designs is gold, but I do think Dominion makes for a strong enough resume to at least give the benefit of the doubt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ash1138 wrote:
Is it just me or does critiquing a game you've never played based soley on how it "sounds" seem like seem like a rather pretentious thing to do?

Go is like, so boring man. You just place some stones on a grid? What a weak theme too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg H.
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
...is a set of steak knives. Third place is you're fired.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ash1138 wrote:

Oh... I dunno. In my mind, everyone is entitled to critiquing or praising a game without playing it, as long as they're self-aware regarding the disclaimer of a lack of "empirical evidence."

For me, reading the rules is the best approximation of whether or not I'll like a game. But even then, the actual playing experience is sometimes surprising.

I'll admit the rules to Kingdom Builder don't "wow" me with anything innovative, but I have a sneaky suspicion that there might be a good game behind this. I can appreciate a game that offers 3 pages of rules but tough and tense choices. Like a previous poster, the first game that came to mind after reading the rules was Through the Desert. Add in the variable win conditions, and I'm a bit intrigued.

Then again, I haven't played it either, so attach the same caveats to my comments! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion the OP's post is akin to a hit and run driver and just as beneficial. He lays down as many negative comments as he can muster and seems more upset by the anticipation of others than by the game. Then he signs off as if he intends to never visit the thread and read the comments. A very helpful part of the community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob D
United States
Largo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gf1024 wrote:
mjuhl wrote:
Just because he made Dominion does´nt actually mean everything he touches will turn into gold.
That is true. Some will turn into Silver or Platinum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
sysyphus wrote:
After reading the rules, it reminded me of just how much I enjoy Through the Desert

I thought the exact same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gf1024 wrote:
mjuhl wrote:
Just because he made Dominion does´nt actually mean everything he touches will turn into gold.
That is true. Some will turn into Silver or Platinum.

Now, everyone knows sometimes you have to pass on gold and get some Nobles going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:
sysyphus wrote:

I thought the exact same thing.

I haven't read the rules, but mentioning Through the Desert is one sure way to get me on board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the hype, eh? Despite all the time I spend here, I can't remember hearing anything about this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
All the hype, eh? Despite all the time I spend here, I can't remember hearing anything about this game.

It was at the top of the list of games people have clicked on for a week while people were clicking on it to post threads about not getting the hype!

The publisher bought ads!

So much hype!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hype, marketing, excitement are not interchangeable words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as the games that get "hyped up," I tend to enjoy most of them greatly. Thus, I find the BGG sheeple have good taste and I gladly join them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lucero
United States
Centennial
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BaBang wrote:
As far as the games that get "hyped up," I tend to enjoy most of them greatly. Thus, I find the BGG sheeple have good taste and I gladly join them

This is an interesting perspective. It made me think. I realized that the people I listen to and trust the most about board games are the BGG community. For the most part, the members here know games. Ironically, the few times I find myself in disagreement with fellow BGG geeks (yes I know that was redundant) is the times when a popular game is lambasted by the haters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to Queens new pricing policy *gulp* this will certainly be try before I play someone elses copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
jond wrote:
... this will certainly be try before I play someone elses copy.

Yes, best to know what you're in for before playing someone else's copy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At first glance, this game seems already more interesting than TransAmerica or Ticket to Ride, because of the location tokens giving you extra actions, and also the different Kingdom Builder cards + Locations giving the game more variety. I suspect that I will not like this game more than Attika, but that's a much heavier game and not something I can easily play with family.

If I were still running my shop, I would be promoting this one - after verifying that any combos don't get too broken and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.