Shawn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the Fantasy Flight website I stumbled upon the game Kingsburg and have watched some videos on gameplay/rules; so far it seems like a really fun game

The group I play with is not hardcore; more like beginner/light players

I have a nearby store pricing Kingsburg at approx 40 (after tax) but before I pick it up I was wondering if others who have played it could share any thoughts on it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
β€œIt's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's currently ranked #20 in Family Games.

I have played Kingsburg with my gaming buddies, with my kids and their friends, and with guys, who only play one or two games in a year. The general tenor was "Great game, let's play it again!".

IMHO you can't go wrong with this one. Its a very good game in every aspect and with every group. 40 bucks well spent, I would guess meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Kingsburg after playing and enjoying Stone Age. I went into it thinking it would have a worker-placement feel with a different twist (the dice). I was disappointed. Here's why:

1. Dice can really hate you. There are games where even though you're using dice, you can make decisions to make lemonade out of lemons (see Troyes). In Kingsburg, there really isn't any way to do that. If you keep rolling poorly, you'll lose, plain and simple.

2. I felt disconnected from my city building. In some games, like Puerto Rico, I feel very involved with the engine that I'm building. For some reason, I didn't feel that with Kingsburg and my player board. I'm not exactly sure how/why it felt like this, but it did.

I would say there are much better games out there than Kingsburg. But many people like it. So if you think you will be one of those people, go for it. It's popular for a reason, I suppose. If you're looking for other suggestions, let me know what specifically you're looking for and I'll try to give you some other ideas.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross G.
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Wisdom begins in wonder.
badge
Stale pastry is hollow succor to a man who is bereft of ostrich.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good game but I think it really needs the expansion, which fixes the game's two problems: a lack of variety on repeated plays and the over-importance of a single roll for the king's troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the game a lot but you need to like dice as well since there is a lot of dice rolling. But even with these dice rolling you will have to make up your mind of where you are planting them. It's a real cool game, I bought it after my first play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't bought the expansion yet (I plan on doing so), but the base game is already great for casual/light gamers. Definitely recommendable.

There is also an iPhone app, which works great on my iPhone 3GS, but is buggy on the iPad 2.

thedacker wrote:
you can make decisions to make lemon out of lemonade

This always makes me think of this:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pastuzyn
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a Kingsburg fan and have taught it to new and non-gamers alike. A game of five players can get a bit long especially if you have AP prone people, but the board gets tight and tense with five. If you play with casual gamers, then four might be the sweet spot.

Some people complain about bad dice rolls working against you, but even bad dice rolls can be used to pick up resources on the first row. Remember, it's a game with dice, so you'll get into a good streak some time.

If you're only going to play the game a few times a year then the base game will suffice. If more than that, then the expansion is great. It has a larger player mat (two extra rows), variable rows for the mats, event cards, character cards and military tokens.

The Kingsburg site here on the Geek has many threads about rolling the die for the king's reinforcement. Seems to be quite a contentious issue, but it doesn't bother me, just part of the luck of the game. Hope you enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Shepherd
Canada
Tecumseh
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had great success teaching Kingsburg to gamers and non-gamers alike. I would also recomend picking up the expansion or at the very least mocking up your own reinforcement tokkens (one of the modules of the expansion) as this opens the game up to a wider variety of strategies.
After playing this game without the expansion then with the expansion I can now never go back. The expansion has a number of modules that you can plug into the game. I've used all of them in different games, but there are a couple I see as must have. 1- the reinforcement tokkens. 2- the larger playing matts (adds 2 extra rows of buildings).

Good game without expansion, great game with expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg is not a light game, so I would be careful who I introduced it to. A highly motivated non-gamer would be fine with it. But a "reluctant" non-gamer or casual gamer is likely to find it somewhat overwhelming. Plus the theme is not likely to win over any reluctant gamers.

It would be a reasonable "second step" game, for people looking for more depth than Ticket to Ride, or for something non-cardy after Dominion. From the way you described your group, it sounds like Kingsburg would probably work. You would definitely want to learn the game thoroughly yourself before teaching it. The seasons in particular could be frustrating if you are trying to learn as you go.

Dice can be a lot of fun, but as mentioned they can be streaky. Like others in this thread, I appreciate dice games where 6 is not necessarily better than 1, and unfortunately Kingsburg is (mostly) a "higher is better" game. Having said that, I appreciated that there were still decent buys in the bottom row, and that you can get a reasonable supply of die modifiers to mitigate bad rolls.

You can try playing online for free, to see if it lives up to your expectations. Of course, playing online isn't as much fun as actually rolling dice. But you can get the flavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Kingsburg as a gateway game and have converted many gamers through it.

It offers deep strategy but in a simple package.

I highly highly recommend it.

As with all games a player has to be willing. The worst you could say about it with new users is that it takes quite a while to play 90mins with 4. It's repetitive nature means that folk soon pick it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The worst things I can say about Kingsburg are that (a) sometimes it takes too long, and (b) games start to feel the same pretty quickly if you don't have the expansion. Neither is a game-breaker though and it's something that I would still be happy to play or teach almost anytime.

My opinion: good buy and worth the asking price for most people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was one of our favorites for a very long time and I agree that it's a fantastic gateway. However, the reason we ended up trading it away was that once you "figure out" your personal best method to win, then the game just basically becomes a big race of whomever can get there first (when playing with experienced players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Perez
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Kingsburg and would recommend it based on the following stipulations:

1) This is a luck heavy game. You have dice rolls every round to determine what you can and can't build. You have dice rolls at the end of every year to see what troops the king will give. You have random monsters at the end of every year. If you can roll with the punches on this then it can be fun but it is one of those games where a strategy I'm working on is suddenly thwarted by the fact that I won't be able to get those 3 stone I want.

2) The expansion adds so much to this game I almost don't know how I can recommend this game without telling you to buy the expansion. The expansion adds a lot of things to the game and they're all individual components that you can pick and choose which to add to your game. I especially like the bigger building sheets and the character cards. Oh and someone above mentioned the tiles for replacing soldiers at the end of the year. This one thing adds a lot of strategy to the game in my opinion by removing a luck component.

3) If your interested in the dice as worker placement game you might want to also check out Alien Frontiers and Troyes before you totally jump on board the Kinsburg ship. The other two are harder to get a hold of, but these three share the dice as worker mechanic.

Just my opinions. I love Kingsburg and am glad I have it in my collection. It's not in my top ten games I own, but it's probably in the top 30.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the expansion would not have been necessary if the designer put more thought into making the original buildings more interactive with each other and more engine-like with more end-game point generaters in the last column. Think Glen More, San Jaun, or PR.
Also, we play with the points from the buildings secret until the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jed Litwiller
United States
McPherson
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien Frontiers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Buckel
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been out of print but due to be reprinted and in stock again in October along with the expansion. You shouldn't have to wait long for a new copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dishbird wrote:

Yeah, it seems that game is considered a replacement for Kingsburg and Troyes is the next step in the evolution with deeper gameplay.

I love Kingsburg and have the third printing of Alien Frontiers on order. I have a feeling Alien Frontiers will be replacing Kingsburg game nights, but until I actually get a copy of the game I can't say for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Chavis
United States
Palmyra
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shawn, do yourself a favor, grab your $40 bucks and run, not walk to your FLGS and buy that copy of Kingsburg. I know they say they are planning to reprint it but.....well you know Murphy's Law. Kingsburg is one of my favorite games to play with my family, who are all casual gamers at best. If you can, try to grab the expansion Kingsburg: To Forge a Realm. As some of the other folks here mentioned it fixes some of the "problems" which I don't really see as problems but more importantly it adds some really cool options that make the game even more interesting, like destiny cards and advisers that give you your own special benefits. It also allows for some customization of your player board so that each players board can be completely different. Pick the game up. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
try before you buy on your PC:

http://mitglied.lycos.de/thunderfall/

I think there is also an iOS app, but I dont have experience with that one. The pc one is great, but without the physical board, it can be kind of hard to understand some of the turn mechanics. So real life game will be definatly better. Rolling dice on a PC just doesn't cut it, but it does give some idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Hampton
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
thedacker wrote:

2. I felt disconnected from my city building. In some games, like Puerto Rico, I feel very involved with the engine that I'm building. For some reason, I didn't feel that with Kingsburg and my player board. I'm not exactly sure how/why it felt like this, but it did.

Same experience. I don't even like Puerto Rico and yet there is a strong connection between player and engine within that game. Kingsburg felt a bit like solitaire in this regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sayburr wrote:
Yeah, it seems that game is considered a replacement for Kingsburg

I enjoyed Kingsburg quite a bit, and somewhat strongly disliked Alien Frontiers. AF is very cutthroat, and becomes an AP-prone exercise in manipulating your dice after you roll them, with various special abilities.

They are both well-designed games, but have very different feels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zubbus O'Really
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cardflopper wrote:
The group I play with is not hardcore; more like beginner/light players

Kingsburg is specifically perfect for this description. Although playing without the expansion will likely be frustrating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Zubbus wrote:
Although playing without the expansion will likely be frustrating.

We played mostly the base game. The only part of the expansion we used was the force tokens instead of the die roll. Personally, I think that's the best combination, at least until you get tired of it. The game owner briefly showed us various other expansion elements, and none of them looked worth the extra complexity when you're just learning the game.

I think I would have been fine with the combat rolls as well, but I'm more open to randomness than many gamers. Of course if we are talking about lighter, less serious game players, the extra randomness might even be welcome.

Executive summary: Based on a single play, the expansion doesn't seem absolutely necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Outstanding game, scales well from 2-4 (5 can be a bit tight, sweet spot for most is probably 3-4, 2 is reserved for more competitive play).

Play the base game first couple plays to get the mechanics down, then the expansion can mix and match based on experience/preference.

Dice can be managed a great deal, even a low roll. A 2,3,4 can be much better than a 5,5,4. The balancing mechanics work very well to keep people in the game, but still reward stronger play from season to season.

The lighter players in our group (people that prefer little conflict or games like TTR, Puerto Rico, Agricola, almost always list this as their favorite or right there near the top). Many times I've seen 4 of the ladies in our group all playing this together as their first option, a definite plus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Medina
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Property of LunaClara
badge
Board games rule my life, and my wife's. That is a good thing, believe it or not ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Shawn!

Kingsburg is one of my favorite games. In fact one of the games I have been most successful introducing to relatively new gamers. Some thoughts:

1. This game is not hard, but it might be a bit too much if you are just beginning. The dynamics of the game, despite the die rolls, make the decisions take a bit. If you think that you and your friends will be able to handle this and still enjoy the game, then go for it!

2. Although the game is a fine game without the expansion, I would urge you to consider acquiring the expansion in the short term. Not only does it add some interesting options, I think it does some very nice things to address some of the few complaints about the game.

3. This is a game where discovery is a lot of the fun on the game. I would urge you to avoid reading the extensive commentary on winning strategies. There is no certified winners, but you will lose some of that enjoyment of finding out yourself which paths improve your chances. Because of this, I am basically saying that this is a great game if you plan to play it several times to find out what works for you.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.