Subject: A few questions about SURVEY role rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Łukasz Kozak
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there!

I have a few questions about how SURVEY role works.

Rules says:
Look at one fewer Planet cards than the number of [radar symbol] played.
Examine the front and back of those card(s), and choose 1 to add
(face down) to your Empire. Place the Planet cards that were not
chosen in a face up planet discard pile.

Leader Bonus: Look at 1 additional Planet card.

1. What happens when I follow a role and play only 1 [radar symbol]? Do I look at zero Planet cards so I get nothing?

2. What happens if the stack of SURVEY cards is empty and I choose SURVEY role and decide not to boost this role with any cards with [radar symbol]? I also have no planets and no permanent tech cards with [radar symbol]. Number of [radar symbol] is zero. What then?
0([radar symbol] cards played)-1 +1 (Leader bonus) = 0.
Again: I look at zero cards? Do I get nothing then?

Or maybe I should count like this:
0([radar symbol] cards played)-1 = -1 but -1 means simply that I look at none of cards, however leader bonus allow me to look at one additional card, so I can look at first Planet cards and I get it. This is right?

3. Am I allowed do look at both sides of Planet cards added to my Empire? I look at them when I decide which to get but few turns later can I? What about start planets tiles? Fertile planets can produce water or food and sometimes it could be important.

Thats all, I would be grateful for help.

Thx,
Luke
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Few questions about SURVEY role
ataman wrote:
1. What happens when I follow a role and play only 1 [radar symbol]? Do I look at zero Planet cards so I get nothing?

Exactly right. Therefore if you only have 1 symbol, don't bother following a Survey role!

Quote:
2. What happens if the stack of SURVEY cards is empty and I choose SURVEY role and decide not to boost this role with any cards with [radar symbol]? I also have no planets and no permanent tech cards with [radar symbol]. Number of [radar symbol] is zero. What then?
0([radar symbol] cards played)-1 +1 (Leader bonus) = 0.
Again: I look at zero cards? Do I get nothing then?

Or maybe I should count like this:
0([radar symbol] cards played)-1 = -1 but -1 means simply that I look at none of cards, however leader bonus allow me to look at one additional card, so I can look at first Planet cards and I get it. This is right?

I will preface this by saying that generally speaking it's not an issue. In over 100 games I'm not sure I've seen the Survey pile run out more than once or twice, and those times the role was not chosen again after that. So this is not a situation to be overly concerned about.

That said, your second interpretation is correct. You lead the role, look at (0-1=0) cards, and the leader bonus lets you look at 1 additional card on top of that (bottom line, 1 planet).

Quote:
3. Am I allowed do look at both sides of Planet cards added to my Empire? I look at them when I decide which to get but few turns later can I? What about start planets tiles? Fertile planets can produce water or food and sometimes it could be important.

Yes, you may look at the backs of cards in your Empire whenever you like. That includes planets you have Surveyed as well as your Start planet.

It is exceedingly rare that it matters whether your Fertile start planet produces Food or Water, but in a very narrow circumstance I could see why you might want to know that. You are allowed to check.

Quote:
Thats all, I would be grateful for help.

Thx,
Luke

No problem! Thanks for your interest in Eminent Domain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Kozak
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for a reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, damn, I've been paying it wrong. I've been playing that if you follow Survey with 1 symbol, you look at 0 cards but can still take the top one if you want (knowing nothing but the back of the card when you take it). I'll have to see how this changes the flow of the game, as it's going to be tougher to get planets out now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
We've been playing it right, because the rulebook says something like "draw X cards and take the best from among them". I do agree that choose 1 of 0 seems like an edge case that could be covered explicitly in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
We've been playing it right, because the rulebook says something like "draw X cards and take the best from among them". I do agree that choose 1 of 0 seems like an edge case that could be covered explicitly in the rulebook.

The intent was "choose 1 of those cards drawn" - so of course if you draw 0, you can't choose any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tex tex
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if you don't like any of the ones drawn?

Is the rule "chose 0 to 1 of the n cards drawn" (to cover the 0 planet survey) meaning could all planets be discarded?

Or is the rule "chose 1*(n>0) of the n planets drawn"?

I guess it doesn't hurt to survey a planet you plan to never flip, it's just 0 VP in front of you rather than 0 VP in the deck. If it's a juicy planet, keeping it in front of me would keep it away from opponents on planetary reshuffles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scattered wrote:
What if you don't like any of the ones drawn?

Is the rule "chose 0 to 1 of the n cards drawn" (to cover the 0 planet survey) meaning could all planets be discarded?

Or is the rule "chose 1*(n>0) of the n planets drawn"?

I guess it doesn't hurt to survey a planet you plan to never flip, it's just 0 VP in front of you rather than 0 VP in the deck. If it's a juicy planet, keeping it in front of me would keep it away from opponents on planetary reshuffles.

Yes, you must keep 1, but you are never required to put effort into flipping it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.