Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I keep looking at this game as most of the time it's my gf and I who play but we don't own any war games really, and if I mention shall we try a war game to her it's 'uh no thanks'. I'm not really into the whole war gaming scene but heard this isn't so much of a war game ? I do really like the card mechanic's but saying that I'm not a huge fan of Dominion were play it now and again, she prefers it more than me. So will it suit a gamer and non gamer which both don't do war games or should I look else where ?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I think this is exactly to what you should look!

It is not a wargame like moving armies, rolling dice, removing casualties, etc.
It is much more abstract.

Most of it is location controlling and expanding, using the cards of the locations - which gives you ressource symbols and connections to new locations.
Additionally you can buy non-location cards into your deck.

Seen from the perspective of a Dominion-Player, there are many similarities, which make it easier to learn the game: You have cards with a gold value, that give you gold. You can buy with this gold new cards. The whole Discard-Pile-Becomes-Your-Draw-Pile-Thing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ove Ahlman
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned. This really isn't your regular wargame, hence I think two players who aren't really in to wargames sure could like this game. It is more of an abstract deckbuilding game.

But! It all depends on what you like. You have a "Race for the galaxy fan" microbadge, and If I compare A few acres of snow with that, then the huge difference is the interaction. In a few acres of snow you really need to keep track of what cards your opponent are getting, and how to counter it with your own deck and the same thing on the map, looking out where you're/your opponent are expanding and look to how you can make the best of it. Then you often clash with armies or raids which can totaly screw up a game if you're unlucky loosing some key locations. Compare this to ARFTG where you don't really interact. You dont attack opponents cards and you don't ruing things for them. Sure you'll get ahead by keeping track of what they want to do etc. But The interaction level is mutch lower.

So I'd like to ask you how mutch interaction and conflict you like in a game? Because something which scares many players away from a war game is that they have to attack and really ruin things for their opponent, something AFAoS also does. If you don't want direct conflict then this is not a game for you. But If you don't mind that then it might and might not be something you like, you haven't really provided enough information. But the game is worth a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, my wife has been a good sport and tried Kaiser's Pirates, Panzer Blitz, Conflict of Heroes, Gettysburg, and Twilight Struggle (yeah, I know, it's awesome she'll even try these with me!). The ONLY "wargame" she will play and has even requested is A Few Acres of Snow. She really enjoys the deck building and reserve aspects of the game. It's also one that is so hot right now that if you get it, and she does not like it, you'll get most of your money back out of it in the form of a math trade, regular trade or sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the opinion of others here too. My wife is most definitely not a wargamer although she has played War of the Ring with me (wouldn't ask for it again)Twilight Struggle and Dominant Species (she likes them both).

She is however French so the theme of AFAOS fits (she plays the French) and she's good with the cards and picked up the game dynamic fairly quickly. She likes it.

Pretty much everyone I've played it with so far also likes it. I'd say it's a good buy and like the previous poster you can likely get your money back if you don' like it.

Be prepared though for a learning curve. My first game was a messy, stumbling around affair until we started figuring it out, but that's true of most games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Norell
msg tools
mb
May I add my recommendation also. I explained the game, which was set up on my table, to my girl-friend (who is not into games at all) and she was immediately intrigued by the overall concept and the simple mechanics.

Her first comment upon learning that my solitaire game had ended in a French victory was: 'You can't let the French win!' (We are both Brits living in New Zealand). Since then, she has been determined to have a game (which I am looking forward to because she is very competitive).

If that isn't a plug for the game, I don't know what is.

By the way, despite my English heritage, I am an Gallophile and am just as happy when the French win - particularly in a game which, if the numerous posts are to be credited, doesn't happen a lot. Why is that, I wonder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.