Popular Tags: [View All]
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

I really fancy this game (because of the modern and British elements) but when I looked at the sealed box at my local store it is expensive (£50 or $80) and is fairly light.

I got into gaming though the Euro route so the vast majority of my games have substantial components. This is even true of my wargames,

Conflict of Heroes (AtB, SoS and PoH)
Command and Colours (Ancients and Napoleonics)
Combat Commander: Europe
Memoir 44

Of these, CC:E has the weakest components, paper maps (but lots of them) thin cardboard counters which don't punch out that well and need lots of effort to clean up, thin card trackboards - but I bought that cheaply second hand so it wasn't such an issue.

I know that components aren't everything and the game design and play is equally or more important - but that is a bit of an unknown quantity to me at the moment.

At the moment the concern of not getting much to show for my £50 is an impediment.

Can anyone advise?

Also how does the component quantity\quality compare with Heroes of the Gap?

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stevens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nigel

The component quality is very good and the full content can be seen in the picture below.

The map is mounted on good quality board and accounts for almost all of the weight in the box.

I had a problem with a small number of counters delaminating when punching but this was easily fixed with a tiny sliver of pritt stick. This is not a universal issue.

WaW is a great series and I would heartily recommend that you dive in.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
IGUK and games lore are both online stores that will get the game to you quickly for around forty pounds. Not that l want to put you off getting the game from your flgs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Foulk
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood and Bridges is probably the higest quality of all the World at War modules but be warned; the game plays so well you might feel like you need to collect them all (and if you did you wouldn't be dissapointed IMO).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Did I read (and I can't find the link) that to play some of the scenarios you need counters from Eisenbach Gap?

Or was that just a strange dream?

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BnB is stand alone. You don't need anything from other modules. You may have read that because it has no American forces, if you wanted them, you needed Eisenbach Gap. Of course, new modules and additions in Line of Fire magazine have added more Americans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

I've played the game and it's a low complexity wargame with the emphasis on fun. Not sure what else is around that is at this level of tactical ops for modern warfare. I'd buy it if I didn't have other stuff I wanted more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nigel, just to add more information, BnB is indeed a hex map and counters board wargame. So, not very Euro in execution. It has no plastic pieces, does not use game playing cards, has fairly complex rules in comparison to say Memoir '44 (the only one on your list of which I am familiar). But, it has a higher degree of realism and detail. However, as previous poster said, playability is emphasized over minutia.

The box contains the rules and scenario cards and player aid cards. The counters are high quality, but will need to be punched and trimmed. Counters offer a greater level of variety and detail, and there are 352 in the box, which also contains the only British forces, IIRC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lohse
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nheather wrote:
Did I read (and I can't find the link) that to play some of the scenarios you need counters from Eisenbach Gap?

Or was that just a strange dream?

Cheers,

Nigel

I think it needs EG for 1 of the 12 scenarios.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/52636/waw-scenario-gui...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Counters offer a greater level of variety and detail, and there are 352 in the box, which also contains the only British forces, IIRC.

Definitely stand alone so includes the Ruskies aswell.

Quote:
I think it needs EG for 1 of the 12 scenarios.

Sounds like it might be two, but not confirmed.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Smith
Japan
Nishisonogigun
Nagasaki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieMark wrote:
BnB is stand alone. You don't need anything from other modules. You may have read that because it has no American forces, if you wanted them, you needed Eisenbach Gap. Of course, new modules and additions in Line of Fire magazine have added more Americans.

I think there are some American and West German forces included in the counters though. However, you're right - the vast majority of the forces and scenarios focus on the Brits and Soviets. The map is large, mounted, and looks beautiful. The box is crammed with counters, reference charts and a full-color rulebook. My components have survived without any dings, bends or scratches since I bought it over a year ago despite regular play.

As for the gameplay itself, I bought the game here in Japan for a very high price but I can honestly say that it's been worth every penny for the pure amount of gaming joy it has provided me. I went on to buy Eisenbach Gap and Death of the First Panzer, which are also excellent. If you like wargames and are even remotely interested in the topic, it's fair to say you'll feel the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you are exactly right.ninja

Heck, I could have looked at the counter sheet in the photo gallery. Been a while, BnB was my first game in the series, and I have added more games to the mix. That's my excuse, I'm sticking with it. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.