Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have created a web app to help with some of the calculations in B&O. It came about as an alternative to the C# assistant that I could run on my ipad. As I didn't feel like jumping through a lot of Apple loops and I'm no good at spreadsheets, I programmed it in javascript. The advantage is that, though it was designed for and tested on the ipad 2, it should work in any javascript enabled browser. (It's all client side javascript code so once the page is loaded, you need no longer be online. Also, DON'T RELOAD the page mid-game or all info is lost)

Here it is: http://users.telenet.be/mark.gerrits/bando/

It works somewhat differently from the assistant in that it doesn't do any of the global bookkeeping. So you have to adjust the tech level manually and it doesn't keep track of company playing order and so forth. I found these things easy enough to keep track of on the board itself. It also doesn't check if your input is legal/possible, so you could theoretically go over the limit of companies per town or distribute more level X trains than there are available cards. Again, this is all easily checked by the players.

What it does do is calculate all possible net revenues and dividend payments.

So how does it work? The bar of tokens on top lets you select the player portfolio screen (wheel token) or any of the company screens. The tech icon does nothing, it's just there to indicate that the dropdown next to it is for keeping track of the tech level.

In the player portfolio screen, you can change player names and manage their stock portfolios. You can also keep track of how many shares are in the orphan box. All this info is used to calculate the dividend payments.

In the company screens you can keep track of which towns the company has built in, how many capital investment cards of each level the company owns, how many coal tokens it owns and whether it has the lumber token from the Baltimore & Ohio: Maine Lumber Expansion. And there you go, now just select the dropdown at the bottom of the screen and you will get a list of all possible net revenues given the current situation (hint for ipad users: make sure to check whether the list scrolls down or you might miss the higher revenues). Select one of them and it will tell you the dividend payments.

I hope this will be of help to someone out there, it certainly made our playing experience smoother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You've made me a happy man with this.

And I can run this without having be online (as long as I opened the webpage earlier)? Wow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asur wrote:
You've made me a happy man with this.

And I can run this without having be online (as long as I opened the webpage earlier)? Wow!

Yup!

Also, I forgot to say this in the main message: If you find any bugs, please let me know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cowart
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant! I've been meaning to do this as a fun side project, but never get around to it. Are you willing to throw the source up on github?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ggeorgemcfly wrote:
Brilliant! I've been meaning to do this as a fun side project, but never get around to it. Are you willing to throw the source up on github?

Sure, I'll look into it. But you can easily see the source code already. All javascript code is basically in http://users.telenet.be/mark.gerrits/bando/code.js (and it also uses the standard jQuery library). There's no server side programming going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great app!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Izzo
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Mark.
thumbsup

Can you add a final score page?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried it this weekend and it was awesome. Thanks again.
And yeah, a final score page would be great, all we needed would be an input for personal cash and final value of each company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the positive feedback!

I'm planning a big update to the app which would include support for all three 2011 expansions (showing some love to the Winsome peeps) and a calculation of the value of people's portfolio's (which is almost the same as a final scoring page!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Aradan
France
ASSAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job Mark,

This is the perfect companion for B&O.
It removes all the fiddly, boring and time-consuming tasks of computing possible Companies earnings.

Danke sehr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small heads-up: if all goes well, version 2.0 will go online next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Version 2.0 has arrived! It now supports all three 2011 Essen expansions. Also new: If you fill in the stock values at the bottom of the first page, it will tell you how much the players' stock portfolios are worth (this should take care of most of the end game calculus)

The old version can still be found at http://users.telenet.be/mark.gerrits/bando/old for people who like its slightly less cluttered interface.

If you find any bugs or have any questions/suggestions, feel free to let me know. I hope you enjoy the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.