lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Cross cultural language excitements

Heard on the radio about the history of Little Richard's song "Tooty Frutti".
It features, to Australia ears, the memorable lyrics, "Tutti Frutti, I wanna rooty".
This was a change from the original lyrics of "Tutti Frutti, good booty" which were apparently seen as too sexually explicit by the US producer.
The song arrived in Australia. Here "root" is a almost(completely?) non-swear word like bonk, shag, "get it on", "have it off". It lacks the violent possibilities of "fuck" or even the milder "screw". So the song returned to almost its original meaning - though perhaps far more explicit. And gained a devoted following of sexually proclaimative Aussie males.
Whether the Australian censors would have allowed it any airplay if they had heard "Tuuti Frutti, all rooty" I don't know - that might have been going too far in 1955.
Now I've just seen that a boardgame cafe has opened in Sydney. Its called Booty Bay. From YouTube I understand the current usage of "booty" in the US will have you'll all expecting something more curvaceous than Space Hulk.
But there it is.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/465192/booty-bay-board-game-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
An American friend of mine could never get over being asked for a rubber when someone had made a mistake on their character sheet in roleplaying.

On the other hand, we could never get over him taking things out of his fanny pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Fanny pack LOL

edit: Thought at least we have the language excuse. Poor Robert didn't when he took the following to heart, "They talk’t of his having a Cardinall’s Hat/They’d send him as soon an Old Nun’s Twat", and featured twats in a later poem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
"'scuse mate, can i bum a fag?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, a fag for a fag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolphinandrew wrote:

On the other hand, we could never get over him taking things out of his fanny pack.

I don't think I could get over someone wearing a fanny pack either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinook wrote:
From YouTube I understand the current usage of "booty" in the US will have you'll all expecting something more curvaceous than Space Hulk.

Booty is also very commonly accepted as a term for pirate treasure or the like. You will hear it used even in kids shows. It can also mean butt in a non-sexual way. My kids know it and use it as both treasure and butt. (And laugh.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My Bavaria-born German professor had not been living in the U.S. long enough to encounter someone named Misty when we covered that little gem of language in class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
My Bavaria-born German professor had not been living in the U.S. long enough to encounter someone named Misty when we covered that little gem of language in class.

Apparently I missed out on some slang... expand the story please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:
skelebone wrote:

So ein Mist means "Oh Shit!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
verandi wrote:
I don't think I could get over someone wearing a fanny pack either.

After a recent campaign, this is now known here as a "chaos pouch".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens KH
Germany
Karben
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure their marketing department thought they had made up a perfectly good nonsense word but maybe Nissan should have spent a couple of minutes to really make sure before they started marketing their new model Pajero in Spain...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Pajero means motherfucker or wanker in Spanish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:

I knew a girl named Misty Dicks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Meerkat wrote:
skelebone wrote:

Mist means shit / manure. It's a well traveled story that Rolls Royce's Silver Shadow is so named because the original of their Silver Mist would the Silver Shit in Germany.

An added bonus of language and false-friend confusion, the word "gift" has wildly different meanings in English and German. In German, "Gift" means poison, which lends itself to the twisting of the old saying "Beware Germans bearing Gifts"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.