Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
mbmbmbmbmb
Since a future event happens right away, does that mean that this will often cause two events to happen in one turn? Will both the future and current event happen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes that sounds correct.But keep in mind that when the future event slides over to the current event spot next turn there would not be an event unless another future event comes up in the future event spot.So you could have 2 events on one turn and then no event the next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiří Kutina

Czech republic
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, you have 2 events this round, but when you drawn card labeled "Future event", you place it in the "discard Pile" and drawn new one (This new one comes to "Future event"), so next turn you have normaly 1 event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sasa1 wrote:
Yes, you have 2 events this round, but when you drawn card labeled "Future event", you place it in the "discard Pile" and drawn new one (This new one comes to "Future event"), so next turn you have normaly 1 event.

Hmm, maybe it is me, but I am confused about this answer over the one above it. If I am reading this one correctly you draw a Future card, act on it, which will cause 2 events this round, the current card and the future card, then discard the Future card, drawing a new replacement.

Gee, you could draw another Future card. Seems to me if you leave the future card on the table after using it, you slide it to the current position like a normal card where it becomes moot and you draw a new Future card. So, you may not have anything to act on during a turn except when the new card might be another new Future card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Melkus
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The way I'm reading the rules is that you discard the "future event" only if it comes during the initial setup. If it comes up during any other turn it is triggered immediately, but it is not discarded it stays there and moves to current event next turn (the event isn't triggered again, of course) and a new card is drawn for the future event. This means that you have only one event per turn. If a "future event" card is drawn there are two events that turn, but none on the next (unless another "future event" is drawn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pratt
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Just admit it already, Small World is not a fantasy wargame...it's a Mancala variant!
mbmbmbmbmb
danamark wrote:

Hmm, maybe it is me, but I am confused about this answer over the one above it. If I am reading this one correctly you draw a Future card, act on it, which will cause 2 events this round, the current card and the future card, then discard the Future card, drawing a new replacement.

You don't discard the Future Event after resolving it or draw an immediate replacement. It stays there on the Future Event spot. At the start of the next turn, it then slides over to the Current Event spot. You then have no event on this current turn. At the start of the NEXT turn, the Future event slides off into the discard pile, as normal.

This is important because if you read the future events, they are all natural disasters that partially remove track from your links. This gives you two turns to repair the damage, or else lose the link.

(I think maybe they should have come up with a better name for Future events, such as "Ongoing effect" or something...because I think that is where this confusion lies. The timing slot and card type should not have the same name!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's correct. You only discard Future Events if they come up on the initial draw at the start of the game. Otherwise, they go on to the Current Event stack the next turn (where they do nothing).

I know why they called them "Future Events" and why they have the same name as the timing slot - it's because they "go off" when they enter that slot. But I agree it's a little counter-intuitive, since they don't actually occur in "the future"; they occur right now when you first see them. Probably "Immediate Event!" or even "Disaster!" would be a clearer name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pratt
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Just admit it already, Small World is not a fantasy wargame...it's a Mancala variant!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ceej wrote:

I know why they called them "Future Events" and why they have the same name as the timing slot - it's because they "go off" when they enter that slot. But I agree it's a little counter-intuitive, since they don't actually occur in "the future"; they occur right now when you first see them. Probably "Immediate Event!" or even "Disaster!" would be a clearer name.

That's what I was trying to say...thank you for putting it more succinctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.