United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Two quick questions that came up today :

1) The shadow effect on Pursued by Shadow states to remove one exhausted ally to its owners hand. If there is only one ally and it has exhausted to defend the attack, does that attack then become treated as undefended ?

2) On stage 3b of Down the Anduin you have to add 2 cards to the staging area per player. If there is only e.g 1 card left in the deck at that point, I assume you don't shuffle and only draw the one card ?

Thanks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friederike
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

this is how I would play it:

1) Yes, the attack does indeed become undefended. If I remember correctly it was even written somewhere that an attack becomes undefended if the defender is removed by a card effect. ... Just found it. It is stated in the rules
Quote:
If a defending character leaves play or is removed from combat before damage is assigned, the attack is considered undefended.

2) I would reshuffle. Is there any reason why you don't? Anything in the rules?

Edit: found something: quoting rules again
Quote:
If the encounter deck is ever out of cards during the quest phase, the encounter discard pile is shuffled and reset back into the encounter deck.

Hmmh, looks like the question of reshuffling is only addressed for the quest phase. If you interpret the statement the way, that you only reshuffle in the quest phase, that would mean you really just have to put 1 card to the staging area. The same would then be true for shadow cards (no shadow card assigned, if you run out of cards during Combat phase).

I've never played it that way though and I'm not really sure it is the intended meaning. Interesting point... I would also like to know what other people think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rike wrote:
Hi,

this is how I would play it:

1) Yes, the attack does indeed become undefended. If I remember correctly it was even written somewhere that an attack becomes undefended if the defender is removed by a card effect. ... Just found it. It is stated in the rules
Quote:
If a defending character leaves play or is removed from combat before damage is assigned, the attack is considered undefended.

2) I would reshuffle. Is there any reason why you don't? Anything in the rules?

The Encounter deck is the only deck that gets reshuffled.
If you finish your player deck, you don't reshuffle, meaning you stop drawing (unless card effects make you re-shuffle).
Even though I have still get to see a 50+ card player deck go under half.

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friederike
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikim wrote:

If you finish your player deck, you don't reshuffle, meaning you stop drawing (unless card effects make you re-shuffle).

Sure. I know that the player deck does not get reshuffled. But we are talking about the Encounter deck here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Come visit me at GamerChris.com for all sorts of chewy, gamery goodness!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rike wrote:
Hmmh, looks like the question of reshuffling is only addressed for the quest phase. If you interpret the statement the way, that you only reshuffle in the quest phase, that would mean you really just have to put 1 card to the staging area. The same would then be true for shadow cards (no shadow card assigned, if you run out of cards during Combat phase).

I've never played it that way though and I'm not really sure it is the intended meaning. Interesting point... I would also like to know what other people think.
I would definitely assume that you would reshuffle any time the Encounter deck is empty, and that's how I play it now. But there's no telling how an actual ruling from FFG might go...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikim wrote:
You sir need to try out the Beravor/Unexpected Courage combo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rike wrote:
Ikim wrote:

Sure. I know that the player deck does not get reshuffled. But we are talking about the Encounter deck here!

I know what we are talking about, I was just saying, in case the OP missed that part.

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are quite explicit that you only reshuffle the encounter deck if it gets exhausted during the quest phase. If it gets exhausted at any other time, then you cannot draw when asked to, and do not reshuffle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friederike
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kilroy_locke wrote:
You sir need to try out the Beravor/Unexpected Courage combo!

True, I like that one too. But it is dangerous if Eyes of the Forest or, even worse, Cut Off is in the Encounter deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
The rules are quite explicit that you only reshuffle the encounter deck if it gets exhausted during the quest phase. If it gets exhausted at any other time, then you cannot draw when asked to, and do not reshuffle.
Wow, look at that... you're right. In actually reading the rulebook, page 18 is very clear:
The Rules, page 18 wrote:
If the encounter deck runs out of cards, any enemies that have not been dealt shadow cards are not dealt shadow cards this round. An empty encounter deck only resets during the quest phase (see page 14).

I can't remember if this has come up a lot in my plays, but I've probably been doing it wrong myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friederike
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kilroy_locke wrote:

I can't remember if this has come up a lot in my plays, but I've probably been doing it wrong myself.

Thanks for pointing to that rule page! I have been playing this wrongly as well. I remember at least one case in which we (wrongly) reshuffled during Massing at Osgiliath . Interesting - it's not a very common situation, but it could actually make an important difference when it arises.

Thanks kilray_locke and AnnuverScotinExile (and Flamehearted for the question, of course) !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Carter
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
kilroy_locke wrote:
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
Wow, look at that... you're right. In actually reading the rulebook, page 18 is very clear:
The Rules, page 18 wrote:
If the encounter deck runs out of cards, any enemies that have not been dealt shadow cards are not dealt shadow cards this round. An empty encounter deck only resets during the quest phase (see page 14).

I think you have been doing this correctly. When I read the question my understanding was the deck would not be shuffled and remaining shadow cards would not be filled in. Since my knowledge of the rules is based on your teaching me the game I think you had this rule in mind at one time. This situation has not come up in any of the games I have played with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkon Skappel
Norway
Kristiansand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) has been well enough answered already.

As for 2) it depends on WHEN you advance the quest. If it is done during the quest resolution step of the quest phase, you DO reshuffle and draw more cards, since you are still in the quest phase, even though you have resolved questing.

However, if you managed to advance the quest in another phase (most relevant example I can think of is due to Legolas or Blade of Gondolin), then you would not, since as several has pointed out, you only reshuffle the encounter deck during the quest phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cory swafford
United States
Waterbury
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how about the hill giants? are they shuffled back into the encounter deck when it is reshuffled? The rules state that any cards worth victory points should be kept aside to tally at the end of the game. Because they are not in the discard pile they should not be reshuffled in. right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
mercurycs wrote:
how about the hill giants? are they shuffled back into the encounter deck when it is reshuffled? The rules state that any cards worth victory points should be kept aside to tally at the end of the game. Because they are not in the discard pile they should not be reshuffled in. right?
Right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.