Hide
5 Posts

Rise and Decline of the Third Reich» Forums » Rules

Subject: Naval Counter & Counter-Counter Interception rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Red Robin
msg tools
29.54 All naval units at a given base must attempt Interception against the same target.

29.56 The foregoing does not prevent attacker from leaving some of his naval units uncommitted. Such uncommitted units may themselves attempt to Intercept defender‘s intercepting fleets before defender‘s fleets reach their Interception hex.

A defender has four fleets based at one port. Two of these fleets are used to attempt interception against the attacker moving one of his fleets. The attacker in turn attempts to counter intercept the two intercepting defender fleets. Can the defender use the two uncommitted fleets, which are based at the same port as the other two fleets attempting interception, to attempt to counter-counter intercept?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. 29.56 is not an exception to 29.54; rather, it indicates that an interceptor with 2 fleets at one port and 2 fleets at another could intercept with fleets from Port A while reserving the Port B fleets for counter-counter interception if required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
An attacker (i.e. the phasing player) can have some fleets perform a mission (e.g. shore bombardment) while other fleets in that same port are held back. In that instance, those fleets held back could be used to intercept the defender's interception of the original mission. However, note that 29.56 says nothing regarding what the defender can do, only the attacker. I also read "The foregoing does not prevent..." as being more in reference to 29.55, which you've skipped, which specifies that the attacker must designate all of his movement / missions first, before the defender decides if / what / where to intercept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Robin
msg tools
Thanks for the quick responses! If I'm understanding you both then would it be correct to say that fleets based in the same port can perform no more than one naval interception per player-turn and only against enemy fleets in one hex. In effect, does this restriction also apply to the attacker's fleets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, my understanding is that 29.54 limits the fleets in a single port to a single interception target. However, there is no requirement that all of the fleets in a port intercept. Some could be held back for other purposes , as long as that purpose is not to launch a separate interception in the same player turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.