Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my 2 decks I use nowadays, playing 2 player-solo.

Let me say I have identified the "assets" of the game, and each card's purpose falls into one (or more) of each these these cathegories:
1) attack
2) defend
3) quest
4) resources
5) cards
6) threat
7) life

By calculating how many cards fall into this or that "asset", you know the purpose of the deck.

here are the 2 decks. After each card name, I have stated its purpose:

LD+TC

Hero (3)
Gimli (Core) x1 Attack
Gloin (Core) x1 Resouerces
Legolas (Core) x1 Attack + Quest

Ally (23)
Beorn (Core) x2 Attack
Faramir (Core) x3 Quest
Gandalf (Core) x3 Threat + Defend + Attack
Gondorian Spearman (Core) x3 Defend
Guard of the Citadel (Core) x3 Attack + Defend
Snowbourn Scout (Core) x3 Quest
Veteran Axehand (Core) x3 Attack
Winged Guardian (THfG) x3 Defend

Attachment (21)
Born Aloft (CatC) x3 on Gandalf and Snowbourn Scout (Threat + Defend + Attack)
Citadel Plate (Core) x3 Defend (on Gimli) Resouces (Gloin)
Dunedain Mark (THfG) x3 Attack
Dunedain Warning (CatC) x3 Defend
Horn of Gondor (Core) x3 Resources
Song of Kings (THFG) x3 Resources
Steward of Gondor (Core) x3 Resources

Event (23)
Blade Mastery (Core) x3 Attack/Defend
Ever Vigilant (Core) x3 Attack/Defent/Quest
Feint (Core) x3 Defend
Quick Strike (Core) x3 Attack
Sneak Attack (Core) x3 On Gandalf (Threat + Defend + Attack)
Swift Strike (Core) x3 Attack
Campfire Tales (THfG) x3 Cards
Valiant Sacrifice (Core) x2 Cards

SP+LR

Hero (3)
Eowyn (Core) x1 Quest
Glorfindel (Core) x1 Quest+Life
Eleanor (Core) x1 Threat/Quest

Ally (31)
Daughter of the Nimrodel (Core) x3 Life
Eomund (CatC) x3 Quest
Erebor Hammersmith (Core) x3 Defend
Gandalf (Core) x3 Threat + Defend + Attack
Gleowine (Core) x3 Cards
Henamarth Riversong (Core) x3 Quest
Lorien Guide (Core) x3 Quest
Miner of the Iron Hills (Core) x3 Defend/Attack
Northern Tracker (Core) x2 Quest
Wandering Took (Core) x2 Defend
Westfold Horse-Breaker (THfG) x3 Quest+Attack+Defend

Attachment (14)
Forest Snare (Core) x3 Defend
Protector of Lorien (Core) x2 Quest
Self Preservation (Core) x3 Life
Song of Wisdom (CatC) x3 Resources
Unexpected Courage (Core) x3 Quest+Attack+Defend

Event (16)
Dwarven Tomb (Core) x3 On Galadhrim's Greeting (Threat)
Hasty Stroke (Core) x2 Defense
Lore of Imladris (Core) x3 Life
Stand and Fight (Core) x3 On Gandalf (Threat + Defend + Attack)
The Galadhrim's Greeting (Core) x3 Threat

By just reading the purpose of each card, in each deck, you can see that they perfectly complement eachother, as the LD+TC is intended to gain resources, attack and defend; the SP+LO is intended to quest and cure life.

Here are some combos I play when ever I can (some are well known):

Gimli + Citadel Plate (let attacks go undefended then have him attack back). Can also work with Unexpected Courage, so he doesn't let undefended attacks go. When he has enough wounds, give him Dunedain Warning, so he will defend, and then attack.

Gloin + Citadel Plate + Self Preservation (or any other Life giving effects): to gain many many resources (to pay for Winged Guardian to stay where he is, for example)

Borne Aloft + Gandalf / Snowbourn Scout / Beorn

Legolas + Dunedain Mark (with his ability, he goes through any quest really easily)

Erebor Hammersmith + Borne Aloft to reagain a previously discarded Borne Aloft

Faramir + Ever Vigilant (to get +2 Willpower to each character commited to the quest).

Usual actions:
Eowin+Glorfindel+UE Gimly go questing (9+ Willpower)
Eleanor is ready to take care of any "When revealed effects"
Gloin receives undefended attacks (with Hasty stroke to prevent unwanted Shadow effects), which will gain him many resources
Gimli receives undefended attacks
Legolas and Gloin and/or UE Gimli attack (and usually kill what ever comes up

The point is to keep the staging are as as few enemies as possible, as the TC+LD voluntarily engages any enemy that can be dangerous later on or to the SP+LO.
In practice, by the time I reach the Attack/Dedend phase, the SP+LO characters are exausted, but they don't have to worry, 'cause the TC+LD deck is there to prevent attacks going off at them.

All this, plus a high control over threat thanx to Gandalf and G.Greetings (which are both played over and over again (thanx to Borne Aloft; sneak attack; dwarven tomb).

With these decks, I have succesfully went through the Carrock (without the help of Grimbeorn the old) and Escaper from Dol Guldor; and finished with a score of 6 a Trip along the Anduin and Hunt for Gollum.

A variant would be to excahnge Glorfindel for Denethor, so you can have control of what'll show up in the staging area.

cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post - will try out these decks.

Just remember that Eleanor can :

a) Only cancel "when revealed" effects on a Treachery Card (not on a monster or location).

b) That you have to draw the next card in the deck if you use her ability.

I think this is one of the most misplayed rules and I'm on a quest (ha) to correct it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamehearted wrote:
Great post - will try out these decks.

Just remember that Eleanor can :

a) Only cancel "when revealed" effects on a Treachery Card (not on a monster or location).

b) That you have to draw the next card in the deck if you use her ability.

I think this is one of the most misplayed rules and I'm on a quest (ha) to correct it.

Really!?!?!?!?

I seriously wasn't aware of it... really!
This changes a few things... mmh...

Thanx for poiting it out... What about test of will? is it allowed to take care of the cards Eleanor cannot take care of?

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly it's all true - the times I've seen her misplayed and then dropped once you explain she's not as powerful as you might think

I personally use Test of Will and Bilbo instead of Eleanor.

Also one another point, you can't use Stand and Fight on Gandalf as Nate recently clarified - he doesn't belong to a sphere. Still trying to work out if stand and fight is worth leaving in my deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamehearted wrote:
Sadly it's all true - the times I've seen her misplayed and then dropped once you explain she's not as powerful as you might think

I personally use Test of Will and Bilbo instead of Eleanor.

Also one another point, you can't use Stand and Fight on Gandalf as Nate recently clarified - he doesn't belong to a sphere. Still trying to work out if stand and fight is worth leaving in my deck.

Oh my GOSH!!! all these news are seriously going to me burst... it seems like I have been playing wrong for the past 5 months for ever...

Oh, well, what can we do about it: back to the drawing board deckbuiling, then.

Anyhow, while I think these changes are quite relevant, I don't think the overall strategy of these two decks will change THAT much.

Really: thanx for pointing them out.

Edit: here are the changes, after re-reading Eleanor's description (which was there, in front of me all the time blush )
- ditch Elenor, for Denethor (in the end, they have the same purpose)
- ditch Songs of wisdom (2 characters are already Lore...) but will add song of whatever, when it comes out for spirit resources;
-ditch stand and fight: no character is worth "reviving".

At this point, deck LO+SP has 26 SP cards and 26 LO cards, with a total cost of 55 SP resources and 57 LO Resources; the important cards (the ones that need to played) are 4 for Spirit and 5 for Lore... meaning, I will go for a 3rd Lore hero, instead of Spirit.

I was thinking of merely replacing Eleanor with Dunhere (so leaving the songs of wisdom), but I will have to try it out both ways, before I make up my mind.

cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.