United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

Poll: The 161st TGIF Poll
How often do you read reviews for games that you already own and have played?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
All the Time
6.8% 23
Frequently
27.1% 91
Sometimes
43.2% 145
Rarely
20.5% 69
Never
2.4% 8
Voters 336
Do you subscribe to the games you own on BGG?
Yes, all of them
3.3% 11
Most of them
9.8% 33
Some of them
21.1% 71
A few of them
33.6% 113
No, none of them
32.1% 108
Voters 336
Which type of content are you most interested in when it is posted about one of your owned games?
Reviews
10.5% 35
Session Reports
6.9% 23
Images
3.6% 12
Strategy Articles
17.8% 59
Variants
8.7% 29
Videos
3.0% 10
Files
18.1% 60
Geeklist Items
3.9% 13
Ratings/Comments
5.1% 17
Other
18.1% 60
Nothing
4.2% 14
Voters 332
This poll is now closed.   336 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:00 am

#4. What game have you spent the most time reading about on BGG recently?

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacco Versteeg
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't tend to read much about games I already own. If I do, it tends to be strategy: trying to up my game a little bit so I don't lose constantly.

Lately, I've been reading up on Tichu, as I've been playing it more and more and was actually looking for the player aids that explain the combinations and the special cards. Something caught my eye in the forums (I think it was a tournament thread) and then I spent the next hour or so reading various questions, strategy articles etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Questions 1 & 2 are both some

Question 3 is other, this being Rules queries, both because it can point out possible errors that we've made and also it can allow me to help others out.

Question 4 is Elder Sign, mainly because there's a lot of discussion at the moment and it seems to account for a large number of my subscription updates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
The last question is almost impossible to answer as a one choice thingy. Of the games I subscribe to, I look for different things for different games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I can't think of any game I've spent a lot of time reading about lately.

I do read about games I already own, but mainly for the 'rules' threads.

I never read session reports and rarely read reviews.

When looking at a 'new' game I do read comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Read most about Descent of recent times as our playgroup is really enjoying it.

Sometimes read reviews of game I own and have played. Never subscribe to them though.

Files are what I look for mostly - either player aids, FAQs or variants (solo usually).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 Once I own a game I will rarely read reviews about it.. unless it is an particular favourite, or the review is highly rated, or by a respected geekbuddy.

#2 I only subscribe to a small number of games I own.. just my favourites (all time or current)

#3 I chose strategy articles, but really I am most interested in Rules Queries.

#4 recently I would say Yggdrasil.. I read reviews etc before getting it, then I've since read the rules, as well as some strategy articles and a designers blog post about it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - I rarely read reviews for games I own. However, if the title catches my interest I might have to check it out.

2 - I subscribe to most of my owned games. The only ones I don't subscribe to are the games that I haven't played yet.

3 - I can't believe I forgot this option, but I'm actually most interested in rules questions when they are posted about games I own and have played. I like to help out those who are just learning the game so I watch closely for questions.

4 - I have received the most notifications for Small World, to the point that I'm considering unsubscribing from the game. However I don't really read most of that content. Maybe it's just Dominion, because I've been looking for some ideas for good kingdom card setups for new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1Rarely
d10-2A few of them
d10-3Other -- Most interested in the general/rules forum for the questions and clarifications
d10-4Probably Airlines Europe. Was checking it out before I bought it. Got the rules and read them. I was able to play it 2 player Monday and really liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read reviews usually after I play a game for the first time. Also, I will read reviews of some of the more rare or unpopular games I play and own...I want to see if others see what I see on those. I read tons of different stuff about the games I'm researching.

As for games I have read about the most lately, it would have to be Fifth Avenue. I was blown away by the game so I read just about all the articles on it. It got more good reviews than bad, but still gets a bad rep. ::shrug::

The majority of my time spent on the Geek is reading and researching about games. Never know what jewel you will find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
The last question is almost impossible to answer as a one choice thingy. Of the games I subscribe to, I look for different things for different games.

This is true for me, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, I read a lot of reviews of games I already own and have played. Mostly just for fun and to see how others have found the game and how it compares to my own view of the game.

2. I generally subscribe to all games I own, and some that I'm about to buy, or games that I know generate good Session Reports or Reviews (Cosmic Encounter and Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game comes to mind) However, sometimes I unsubscribe because the forums are flooded with variants and ideas that I'm never going to try or am even remotely interested in. (Dominion and Hive comes to mind here: At one point it seemed like every other post in Dominion was a new card that the poster had created.)

3. Like I said, I always enjoy reading a good review or session report, but I answered other here because a lot of the time I'm looking for rules questions. Lately, The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game have been a prime example of this as the amount of cards available and their interaction is far from easy to extract from just reading the rules and the FAQs (which sometimes contradict each other blatantly and seems to change between who is writing at the moment)

4. The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, for the aforementioned reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The...
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 I read the reviews once in a while just to see what others are saying about it, but unless it's some really obscure game that had few or no other reviews there's usually not a lot of "new" information in them.

d10-2 I'm subscribed to a bunch of the games I own, but overall it's less than a quarter of the total. Mostly it's the lesser known games that don't get a lot of attention, so it's nice to know right away when someone does post to one of them. For the most part I avoid subscribing to really current and popular games because that tends to flood my subscriptions with a lot of junk.

d10-3 Posts to the rules section of the forums are what I look for most often, both to see if there's anything I might have missed and to help answer stuff for others. Images, strategy articles, Geeklist items, and session reports are sometimes interesting but with more popular games tend to see a lot of repetition. I rarely ever look at videos other than the occasional Dice Tower or Drakkenstrike review because many tend to be excessively long and thin on useful information. I don't like sitting for 15 minutes watching what could have been condensed down to a couple paragraphs of text and a picture or two.
Variants and files can be very hit or miss. Sometimes there's something interesting, but more often than not they seem to be people trying to fix things that aren't broken. It's funny (in a headshake/facepalm sort of way) when someone uploads a reference sheet or player aid that's longer and more complex than the actual rulebook to the game, or when it exactly duplicates the player aid that came with the game (maybe just arranged a little different).

d10-4 Because of all the different subscription notices I tend to jump around between a bunch of games, but the one I've looked at the most in the past few weeks is definitely Panic Station, which just had its rules posted a couple weeks ago and was opened up for preorders this past weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
I have overtext. Yes I do.
badge
I have overtext. How 'bout you !
mbmbmbmbmb

1 I only read reviews of games I'm interested in getting. The only time I'll read a review of a game I already know how to play is if it's written by a Cat or a Dictator.

2 I subscribe to a few games that I own, but most of the games I subscribe to are games I'm curious about. Once I buy them, I'll eventually cancel the subscription most of the time.

3 I'm typically most interested in Rules questions.

4 Lately, it's been Battlestar Galactica (because of PBF questions) and Elder Sign (because I just got it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
Questions 1 & 2 are both some

Question 3 is other, this being Rules queries, both because it can point out possible errors that we've made and also it can allow me to help others out.

Question 4 is Elder Sign, mainly because there's a lot of discussion at the moment and it seems to account for a large number of my subscription updates.

Ditto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 I will sometimes read reviews early in game ownership - particularly if I've only played it once or twice. It might be because I really enjoy it and want to read some of its praises, or maybe I just don't get it and want someone to show me what I'm missing (or prove me right).

d10-2 Not at all. I tried it for a bit, but I found I was getting too many random things popping up in my subscriptions for them, like geek items that don't have anything to do with the game itself.

d10-3 I almost said strategy guides, because they are so rare (I just posted my second one last night). But in truth what I read the most are the Rules forums for games. I'm often trying to clarify a rule that came up during our initial plays, or look for something ahead of time that I don't want to screw up when teaching the game.

d10-4 I would say Oregon because I did a lot of research on it before posting a strategy guide recently. Wanted to be sure I covered everything I thought was important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DancerInDC wrote:
d10-4 I would say Oregon because I did a lot of research on it before posting a strategy guide recently. Wanted to be sure I covered everything I thought was important.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/697309/a-brief-strategy-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
...Files are what I look for mostly - either player aids, FAQs or variants (solo usually).

Well, yeah that too.

I don't really think of opening some player aids and printing them as 'reading' on the geek. So, I didn't think about mentioning it above.

But, that's probably to main reason I go to a game I already own. (other then logging my plays of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:

Definitely this. 1000 times this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
For question #3 it's to check on rule interpretations.

For #4 the games I've spent the most time reading about in the past two weeks has to be either Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan or Maria since I was trying to decide which of those to buy. Turns out I bought them both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's looking like we can just assume "Other" for #3 above is "Rules" - and it's going to win by a landslide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. sometimes
2. some of them. The ones I really like and games we've just gotten. I generally subscribe to games that interest me especially if they haven't come out yet, it's an easy way to keep track of news about those games.
3. Rules mostly, for newer games reviews as well. And sometimes just the general section.
4. That's a close one between Tournay and Dungeon Petz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
#4. What game have you spent the most time reading about on BGG recently?

That would certainly be Mage Knight Board Game, largely due to the excellent preview threads posted by
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 was a tough call, I put variants, but others could have been chosen for Rules, since I like to make sure I am playing right with most of my games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb

When I acquire a new game, I...

1) Punch, sort, and bag the components.
2) Read the rules.
3) Read BGG's rules threads to see which rules had tripped up previous players.
4) Look over BGG's file submissions to see how I could enhance the game with rules summaries, player aids, scoring tracks, or other useful creations.
5) Read BGG's variants threads to see how other players have tweaked the game's rules to enhance their own play experiences.
6) Read the rules again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.