Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Night descended so changed the weather Pelting Hail began to fall and using it as cover I once more set forth from The Sprawl with my trusty (at least I hope so) companion. It is said that a Bard uses his skills at Storytelling to avoid trouble however trying to think of a tale that a Vampire, who was blocking our path, had not heard was beyond even my skills. Taking the element of surprise and avoiding his transfixing glare we set upon him from both sides. The Vampire was not without skill and I was soon regretting my” lost” status of Cavalier which would have seen this horror sent back to its resting place. Finally good (well us) prevailed and we paused to catch our breath. It was at this moment a large chunk of ice fell from the sky and knocked me unconscious. Fortunately my Swashbuckler companion dragged me back to The Sprawl to heal rather than steal off with the recently liberated treasure information from our defeat of the Vampire.

(I left the Sprawl Hidden and upon encountering the Vampire thought it time to try out Combat. Managed to pass the Influence test (question follows) and after two rounds of combat I had killed him and taken three wounds (another question follows). Picked up a rather useful Crossbow ITEM so 7 steps towards Saga complete. Unfortunately no Actions left and so got pegged by the Night card in play and had to return (all of one card) back to Sprawl)

(Rules Questions: Assume that a failed Influence Test vs. Vampire leaves you with fight a round of combat and then try and escape as soon as possible ? Secondly and I’ll check the FAQ but as I use up Actions in this case one to hide one to move was left with two. In combat took three wounds. Do I have 1 AP left, 0 AP left ? I guess the basic question is can I take Wounds against used Action Points or do they get taken off unused? As you can see form above assumed I was out of luck)

As I lay recovering (lying low as you can imagine) in The Sprawl I received good news the Pelting Hail had eased and was now a Pouring Rain travel would be so much fun. Fortunately I was not going far as I had, thanks to the Vampire, a lead on a weapon the likes of which no Dragon (hopefully) could survive. Unfortunately some ignorant local was also looking for it and despite my legitimate claim of “dibs” he insisted upon a Duel. Needless to say the fool was hopelessly outclassed but somehow still managed a lucky stab in my arm before running off (it’s my story and I’ll recount it as I remember it)

(The Rain was a pain but I managed to get my ITEM despite failing the Duel!)

The rain began to ease and we thought at last we might see some sun however as the ground warmed up a Veil of Fog came down and covered everything making movement almost impossible. As we stumbled through the forest we overheard raised voices, listening it seemed these locals blamed the rulers back in The Sprawl for the Gloom that was spreading and many were preaching open Rebellion . I’m happy to pass the blame as quickly as and to the next man but little did they know that their loud debate was only drawing attention to themselves, something they found out to their cost as Orc Assassins leapt from cover and butchered them to a man. I would have stopped them but a Dragon was waiting for me.

(This Fog was going to be even more of a pain, I was in the right area of the “board” for the Saga but still needed to find an ABODE. The Rebellion was a "nice surprise" as in an unexpected draw from the Forest deck, the Gloom was now rapidly spreading, well, perhaps half the land had fallen into dark. The Orc Assassins had no strangers to “off” so an Ally was discarded, for narrative purposes I have made a slight change )

It seems the rumours of Orcs were everywhere as we heard tale of an Orc Barracks in the Windy Valley, whether the Valley was Windy prior to their arrival I do not know. Pushing through the fog we hit a brick wall, literally, a Vast Wall surrounding a Keep. Finally we had found the home of my brothers of the Order of the Rose, even if they did not know me to be one of them yet. Charged with answering their password prior to entry I guessed on the third attempt and we were granted entry (I cannot divulge, my lips are sealed although if you have some gems your willing to part with…)

(Huzzah an ABODE at last and it took all my effort to get it into my grubby hands! So that was it all the Keywords obtained. Let’s race off and steal that Hoard and by race I mean move one space a turn )

It turns out that the seeds of rebellion were sown much further than we thought as news reached the Order that The Sprawl was in a state of Civil War hopefully that might result in a few less debts to worry about. The Wyrm's lair turned out to be but a day’s ride from the Order’s keep and so we arrived there well rested.

(Drew Mountain Stair so no time to dawdle wealth awaits)

Here we stood ready to take on the Wyrm, our encounter with the Tradesman (PLAINS) had told me of where the beasts lair was but I would need more than a harp and a song to fulfil this task and so had become a member of the Order of the Rose (ORDER) to be able to persuade these Paladins to ride forth (ABODE) and aid me. This persuasion was aided by my easily impressed Hermit friend (STRANGER) who turned out was a former Brother and vouched for me (I told you he was easily impressed). Though I had been led near and far helping Merchants (QUEST) and fighting Vampires I had been rewarded for my patience as I was now armed with magic (SPELL) that would let us sneak into the beast’s lair and I had my crossbow (ITEM) to finish its reign of terror. Of course I wouldn’t be true to myself if after killing the Wyrm my companion and I stole the loot and rode off into the sunset leaving my fellow Order brothers behind (SHADOW). After all this is my Ballad.

(Woo Hoo 9G a turn!)

It seems that not only internally was The Sprawl a problem but now forces had Besieged the City as well. It turns out that all these cases of Orcs appearing throughout the land were but a prelude to an invasion by the Black Orc Legion.

Typical just as I had amassed wealth enough to enjoy life for a while, and a companion who was yet to be tired of my company the world was descending into Darkness and Orcs were spreading rapidly throughout the land. It needed a Hero to stand up in this time of woe, to ride forth and liberate the land from evil. Unfortunately it appeared there was only myself. With time running out I needed to undergo some intensive training.

(cue Rocky IV like scene in a log cabin in a Winter Wilderness)

(The Sprawl was looking grim as a prospect for buying items without getting caught up and losing HP so instead I decided to put some loot into Training. Time was also running out in game and Real TimeTM so it was time for a push on those Orcs who were conveniently nearby – A took Battle Wizard for some much needed Fight also as my Dice skillz were less than spectacular I dabbled in a little Martial skills and took Prize-fighter to re-roll 1’s)

The World was turning to Chaos and so I did perhaps the bravest thing I have ever done and grabbed my companion around the waist and planted a kiss squarely upon her before she could react. When she did react I found myself lying on the ground with a ringing in my ears and it seems some time had passed.

On to battle then. Standing in the path of an Orc army was not something I’d ever had in mind for my life and I’d like to say we fought bravely and well and that good triumphed (good being us in case it hasn’t been readily apparent from my Tale). Despite my best efforts I was captured and the last I saw of my companion she was heading for freedom on a treasure laden horse.

Life’s not all bad though you get used to the Gloom and the Orcs have kept me around, albeit tied to post with a length of chain. Seems they saw my Harp when ransacking my backpack and rather than sending me to the pot I have earned a reprieve provided I can keep them entertained…
And so ends my Bards Tale...

(I didn’t just roll badly it was perfect badness despite my strikes going first from Crossbow and my new Skills I managed few hits and lots of 2,3,4’s couldn’t even drum up a few 1’s to at least re-roll. Ultimately the Orcs were down to 2 HP when I went down in a heap)

CONCLUSION:
1.Hiding was helpful and I could see it being useful if your ability to Influence Strangers was not as high as the Drow/Bard combo.
2.I started off a little too afraid of combat and when I did enter into it I beat the Vampire only to become concussed.
3.GOLD more shiny stuff definitely, if it’s not cards you interact with, it’s items, skills etc. that you need cannot emphasise this enough.
4. Oh and the Diagonal move on each turn was aces
Roll on the next game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jokeroz wrote:
Assume that a failed Influence Test vs. Vampire leaves you with fight a round of combat and then try and escape as soon as possible ?

Correct, you will need to escape as soon as possible if you fail the Influence test against the Vampire because your hits will not affect him.

jokeroz wrote:
I’ll check the FAQ but as I use up Actions in this case one to hide one to move was left with two. In combat took three wounds. Do I have 1 AP left, 0 AP left ? I guess the basic question is can I take Wounds against used Action Points or do they get taken off unused? As you can see form above assumed I was out of luck.

As per the FAQ: “Lost Hit Points always come off ‘unused’ Hit Points first (i.e. Hit Points that haven’t been used for Actions that turn so far).” So your assumption was correct, in the above example you would have 0 Actions left.

jokeroz wrote:
some ignorant local was also looking for it and despite my legitimate claim of “dibs” he insisted upon a Duel. Needless to say the fool was hopelessly outclassed but somehow still managed a lucky stab in my arm before running off (it’s my story and I’ll recount it as I remember it)
/
little did they know that their loud debate was only drawing attention to themselves, something they found out to their cost as Orc Assassins leapt from cover and butchered them to a man. I would have stopped them but a Dragon was waiting for me.
/
It seems the rumours of Orcs were everywhere as we heard tale of an Orc Barracks in the Windy Valley, whether the Valley was Windy prior to their arrival I do not know.
/
the land. It needed a Hero to stand up in this time of woe, to ride forth and liberate the land from evil. Unfortunately it appeared there was only myself. With time running out I needed to undergo some intensive training. (cue Rocky IV like scene in a log cabin in a Winter Wilderness).

laugh It could be that they just dropped round the Friday beers in the office at work but this is very funny stuff right here. I’d go as far as to type “LOL” if I were inclined to type that sort of thing...

jokeroz wrote:
Here we stood ready to take on the Wyrm, our encounter with the Tradesman (PLAINS) had told me of where the beasts lair was but I would need more than a harp and a song to fulfil this task and so had become a member of the Order of the Rose (ORDER) to be able to persuade these Paladins to ride forth (ABODE) and aid me. This persuasion was aided by my easily impressed Hermit friend (STRANGER) who turned out was a former Brother and vouched for me (I told you he was easily impressed). Though I had been led near and far helping Merchants (QUEST) and fighting Vampires I had been rewarded for my patience as I was now armed with magic (SPELL) that would let us sneak into the beast’s lair and I had my crossbow (ITEM) to finish its reign of terror. Of course I wouldn’t be true to myself if after killing the Wyrm my companion and I stole the loot and rode off into the sunset leaving my fellow Order brothers behind (SHADOW). After all this is my Ballad.

Really like this bit and the way you fleshed it out – this is exactly what the Sagas are all about: telling the tale of your Hero and connecting all the dots in the events of your rise to fame/infamy.

jokeroz wrote:
I didn’t just roll badly it was perfect badness despite my strikes going first from Crossbow and my new Skills I managed few hits and lots of 2,3,4’s couldn’t even drum up a few 1’s to at least re-roll. Ultimately the Orcs were down to 2 HP when I went down in a heap.

Well, I have to say I’m sorry you failed – I’m sure you’ll redeem yourself in the next game – but if the nasty Orcsies were down to 2HP I think that’s about as close a call as you can get??

jokeroz wrote:
CONCLUSION:
1.Hiding was helpful and I could see it being useful if your ability to Influence Strangers was not as high as the Drow/Bard combo.
2.I started off a little too afraid of combat and when I did enter into it I beat the Vampire only to become concussed.
3.GOLD more shiny stuff definitely, if it’s not cards you interact with, it’s items, skills etc. that you need cannot emphasise this enough.
4. Oh and the Diagonal move on each turn was aces
Roll on the next game

Great points here. There are a lot of different card interactions and plates spinning and learning to prioritise them based on your Hero’s strengths is key to success. Sounds like you had a good time with this one, which makes me very happy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed it, the whole Saga determining my direction was great in developing my character along a certain path - leading me to avoid specific land types in search of missing objectives.

It probably took longer than normal as I was recording each turn for this report but that was also enjoyable as I was formulating story in my head as I played.

I hope the humour (alleged) in this session report is received ok. Unfortunately trying to turn it into a high fantasy story is probably beyond my skills as I've always been prone to going for the cheap laugh!

Hoping to roll out for another game today.

Pay day the other day so treated myself to a nice wooden box I found in a bargain store. The kids get the art supplies and I get a nice storage container for the cards with slide out draw for counters and dice.

Speaking of dice I bought some new ones as well...roll on the Orcs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jokeroz wrote:
I really enjoyed it, the whole Saga determining my direction was great in developing my character along a certain path - leading me to avoid specific land types in search of missing objectives.

It probably took longer than normal as I was recording each turn for this report but that was also enjoyable as I was formulating story in my head as I played.

Definitely (obviously) takes longer when you’re making detailed notes. Also helps iron out the rules when you’re new to the game. You can only imagine how long some of the early play-tests took. Luckily things speed up massively once you know what’s going on and have a good awareness of what Actions and abilities are available to your Hero.

jokeroz wrote:
I hope the humour (alleged) in this session report is received ok. Unfortunately trying to turn it into a high fantasy story is probably beyond my skills as I've always been prone to going for the cheap laugh!

I think a sense of humour is helpful. I love high fantasy and epic tales but occasionally the card combos tell their own tale regardless, and you find yourself in an adventure which is slightly more Pratchett than Tolkien...

jokeroz wrote:
Hoping to roll out for another game today.

Pay day the other day so treated myself to a nice wooden box I found in a bargain store. The kids get the art supplies and I get a nice storage container for the cards with slide out draw for counters and dice.

Speaking of dice I bought some new ones as well...roll on the Orcs

Good luck against those nasty orcsies! And since you’re helping to spearhead the FQ testing brigade so far, if you get to post another review/session at some point then that would be just awesome sauce too... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stay tuned
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.