Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pg. 3: If I grab 2 identical tiles (which I can only do by building next to both locations) do I have to keep a settlement next to both locations or just one of them?

Pg. 5: Merchants - Do I only score for the largest connected group or if I have several groups of connected locations/castles do I score for all of them

Pg. 6: Taverns - Does a 'string' have to be a straight line of three or can it have a bend?

I like the look of the rules... think this is going to be a fun game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakley
United Kingdom
Selby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you take 2 identical tiles you keep them as long as you have settlements next to both locations. If you move away from one of the locations, you lose one of the tiles. If you move away from both locations, you lose both tiles.

Merchants will score for every location/castle which is connected contiguously to at least one other location/castle by your settlements. Thus, you can have multiple unconnected "groups" which will all score for you, provided that there are at least 2 locations/castles in each group.

I wondered about the definition of "string" too, but from the example I assume it is only straight lines that count. I guess we'll need Donald to clear that one up for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Fuerst-Brunner
Germany
Neuching
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steerpike wrote:
Pg. 3: If I grab 2 identical tiles (which I can only do by building next to both locations) do I have to keep a settlement next to both locations or just one of them?

Rules wrote:
The player keeps a location tile as long as at least one
of their settlements is adjacent to the corresponding
location. If they move their last settlement away from
such a location by using an extra action, they must
discard this location tile and remove it from the game.

Seems pretty clear to me.

Steerpike wrote:
Pg. 5: Merchants - Do I only score for the largest connected group or if I have several groups of connected locations/castles do I score for all of them

I would go for all of them - largest is never mentioned.

Steerpike wrote:
Pg. 6: Taverns - Does a 'string' have to be a straight line of three or can it have a bend?

Looking at the examples, I'd go for straight lines of three. But I'm not sure on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Steerpike wrote:

The other guys got the first two correct - you have to keep a settlement by both buildings to keep both abilities, and Merchants just scores 4 per location connected to any other, it doesn't care about further connections.

The string for Tavern has to be a straight line of three, on one of the three axes. No bend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Dunkley
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:

The string for Tavern has to be a straight line of three, on one of the three axes. No bend.

Does the string have to be 3 settlements with nothing to their connecting sides or can a string be picked out of a big clump of settlements that happen to have a row of 3 in a straight line.

We are a little unclear on this.

Thank you

Simon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tavern allows you to place a fourth building at the end of a line of three. As long as there is a straight line of three, you can add to it. Other pieces don't matter. Find a line of three, add to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Dunkley
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Odinsday wrote:
The tavern allows you to place a fourth building at the end of a line of three. As long as there is a straight line of three, you can add to it. Other pieces don't matter. Find a line of three, add to it.

Thank you for clarification on that, we are really enjoying this game it's never the same twice.

Si.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran Vasi
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
As far as the Tavern tile, can you add your 4th tile to a hex across water? What if you have the Ship (move one to water) tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
mb
Tavern does not allow a player to place a settlement on water; only on the usual five land types (canyon, desert, flower, forest, or grass,). You may not combine the effects of abilities; use each individually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fcvasi wrote:
As far as the Tavern tile, can you add your 4th tile to a hex across water? What if you have the Ship (move one to water) tile?

When using Tavern, there must be an empty hex directly at the end of a line of at least three of your settlements. If a hex is water, mountain, or a location (like a Castle or an ability hex or whatever), or if that hex is already occupied by any player's settlement, then you can't build there.

So no, you can't use Tavern to build across a river, because it's not directly on the end of your line of settlements; it's across a river.

You cannot "combine" abilities, unless the entire point of an ability is to combine with other placements (like the Outpost nomad ability from the Nomads expansion). You cannot "combine" Tavern and Harbor to place your Tavern build on or across water. However, if you already have a line of three or more settlements, one or more of which is on water due to your Harbor ability, you may still use Tavern to build on a hex at one end of the line, provided that hex is suitable for building. But if that hex is water, it's not suitable for building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.