Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Tried a solo game of China Shop that ended 15 minutes into the scenario when the Berzerker was attracted to the sound of COG teeth chattering and proceeded to land an 8-point KO on the solitary soldier.

I set things up again, this time with Marcus and Cole (who's power seems rather weak in comparison to the other COGs), and gave it another run through.

45 minutes later, the COGs had led the Berzerker (along with a merry band of 3 drones and 4 wretches) into the final zone and commenced with the crazy Hammer-of-Dawn hoe-down. With Marcus armed with the Hammer-o-Dawn, it was up to Cole to keep running interference and give the gadget time to recharge and he did his best shuck-and-jive to keep the Berzerker ping-ponged between the two of them until a lucky blast nuked the 5-health Berzerker into carbon molecules.

What I learned from that scenario is that it's occasionally a good move to lure the Berzerker towards you and then pull a roadie run in the reverse direction and keep a LOT of space between you and Godzilla. It's also wise to keep both COGs out of the same space (unless both are in cover at the time) as the Berzerker tends to do round-house attacks that club everyone within arms reach.

One odd question that I had by the end of the game was whether an attack by the Hammer of Dawn would lure the Berzerker towards you since it technically brings down an attack from orbit (vs. the sound of gunfire). I played it according to the rule that it made noise like any other attack (and thus attracted the B.) but I think that might be anti-thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You still pull the trigger Berzerker has really good ears being blind and all. She is attracted to your attack even with the hammer. Cole is my favorite COG an extra guard in every locust activation gets you out of many tight situations when things start to get dicey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Cole is great when playing with three or four, but not as useful with two, and his power is nearly voided if you're going solo with him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Solo I agree 100%. I wouldn't use him solo at least not if I wanted the greatest chance to win. My son and I have had great success using Cole and Baird in 2 player games. 2 player and solo are all I have tried so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobbi Burquel
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
or old Newbie, whatever
badge
Can't touch this!
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Hammer of Dawn, in the videogame the Berserker is attracted toward the COG who fired it (check this video, around 4:20: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO7mTPFB7e4). So I'm guessing that yes, firing the Hammer attracts the Berserker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
I think Cole is great when playing with three or four, but not as useful with two, and his power is nearly voided if you're going solo with him.

He still gets to turn any card into a guard, though. Plus, it's worth noting that both of the "2-player" order cards (Teamwork and Cover Fire) are guard orders, meaning that if you always discard them as a different COG, you're effectively playing with less guard orders in the deck (and thus may not want to pitch them, despite being incredibly weak otherwise), but with Cole, you can always discard them and not worry about running out of guards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
narkatral wrote:
For the Hammer of Dawn, in the videogame the Berserker is attracted toward the COG who fired it (check this video, around 4:20: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO7mTPFB7e4). So I'm guessing that yes, firing the Hammer attracts the Berserker.
She hears that little "beep-beep..." sound.

Can't wait to meet the LAMBANT berserker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.