Toebus
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Best card in the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Having never played Magic, I got this game on Steam hoping that it'd be a good introduction to the game.

Now I know it's a complex game and I am a new player but I can't even get past the first duel in the campaign. I only bought the base game which has 2 decks available at first and you unlock more cards/decks through playing. But the computer seems to have many creature cards with power/toughness ratings much higher than mine so my creatures eventually get picked off.

Anyone else play this and have problems, or any tips?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have played Magic for a while, and I am through the first basic campaign having only lost maybe six games. I think the first matchup is actually one of the harder ones, so keep at it. You will begin to figure out the best way to play through a match with experience--keep at it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toebus
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Best card in the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
tomchaps wrote:
I have played Magic for a while, and I am through the first basic campaign having only lost maybe six games. I think the first matchup is actually one of the harder ones, so keep at it. You will begin to figure out the best way to play through a match with experience--keep at it!

Thanks! I was starting to get mad, thinking that I would have to purchase an unlocked deck in order to have a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Start off with the Wielding Steel deck.

Play your small creatures and your equipment (machete and kite sail etc.) onto the battlefield and then equip your equipment on your creatures to make them bigger and then block his bigger more expensive creatures with your cheap equipped creatures. Eventually you'll wear him down to a point where you have more creatures/equipment and he can't keep up with you and you'll win or he'll put out too large of creatures that you can't effectively remove them and you'll lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up Duels 2012 this week as well after having played the original Duels for the last year or so, and I'll admit that I was a bit surprised by the initial difficulty in Duels 2012. I decided to check out the tutorial level and was surprised, I thought it was rather poor.

I would suggest that maybe you download the demo for the original Duels of the Planeswalkers game on Steam and see if that's any easier for you, hopefully it will give you enough practice to do well in 2012.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toebus
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Best card in the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Putts wrote:
I just picked up Duels 2012 this week as well after having played the original Duels for the last year or so, and I'll admit that I was a bit surprised by the initial difficulty in Duels 2012. I decided to check out the tutorial level and was surprised, I thought it was rather poor.

I would suggest that maybe you download the demo for the original Duels of the Planeswalkers game on Steam and see if that's any easier for you, hopefully it will give you enough practice to do well in 2012.

Yeah even as a new player I thought the tutorial was very basic.

I've gotten the first opponent as low as 3 health and still lost. Once they lay down a card with 4 or 5 power it's hard to beat. Either I block to save my health and lose my creatures, or I attack and they block and I lose my creatures.

What should I look for in a starting hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Foote
United States
Carter Lake
Iowa
flag msg tools
Haven't played 2012, but an old HEAVY MTG player here... if I can help yea in any way just yell at me hah I wouldn't mind giving a few tips...

Off the top of my head here are a few.

1. If a card is instant, save it until the LAST POSSIBLE moment.

For example I have 5 health left and you attack with a 2/2 creature but you have an instant to increase its strength to 5. If you do it then give me a chance to block I will throw a creature at it to block it and not die right? If its only 2 I might take the hit and hope for a good draw... then before damage is done you go AH HAH! And slap that bad boy down.

2. Know your color: Green is about massive beef ups such as Giant Growth and Blanch Wood armor (Both great spells for green) Red: More direct damaging with fireball spells yet having the most creatures with haste for getting off the quick hits when the opponent isn't expecting it. Black: Sacrificing your own health most of the time to dish out more to your opponent. Blue: Control... control... MORE control. Countering spells and un-summoning creatures to pave the way for your weak yea numerous creatures to get through.

3. Tougher one of the tips and it will start to come more naturally is to choose your attack wisely. Know which ones your opponent will block and with what, decide if he could possibly have some cards in his hand to turn the tides of the battle to his favor... then finally decide if the battle is worth it for you or if you will loose more than him. Waiting and building more creatures isn't a bad thing, you shouldn't be attacking every turn... unless he has no creatures that is hah.

I hope a few of those helped, I haven't played in about a year now but my God did I ever play it a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toebus wrote:
tomchaps wrote:

Thanks! I was starting to get mad, thinking that I would have to purchase an unlocked deck in order to have a chance.

Have you put the difficulty on the lowest setting? I've only played on the highest setting, but the lower setting is there for new players.

I don't recall who the first matchup is, but I certainly started with the Wielding Steel deck and played that until I had unlocked all the cards in it. A good starting hand is generally one with 3 lands and at least one creature you can play turn 2 and one you can play turn 3. In reality you are rarely so lucky to get such a starting hand, but that's about the perfect one.

The Wielding Steel deck also has the bonus that it has Pacifisms for your opponent's creatures, to get rid of anything he has that might be too unpleasant for you.

Anyway, it's hard to give too much strategic advice without knowing more information, but the nice thing about Duels is that you only have to win one game to advance (where as normally it would be best out of 3) so even if you are not the best Magic player yet (how could you be) you can get through it, and as you play through it you will get much better.

My husband was starting Magic only a bit before the first Duels came out and while he struggled with it a bit at first, he became a MUCH better Magic player because of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Foote
United States
Carter Lake
Iowa
flag msg tools
delirimouse wrote:
toebus wrote:
tomchaps wrote:

Have you put the difficulty on the lowest setting? I've only played on the highest setting, but the lower setting is there for new players.

I don't recall who the first matchup is, but I certainly started with the Wielding Steel deck and played that until I had unlocked all the cards in it. A good starting hand is generally one with 3 lands and at least one creature you can play turn 2 and one you can play turn 3. In reality you are rarely so lucky to get such a starting hand, but that's about the perfect one.

The Wielding Steel deck also has the bonus that it has Pacifisms for your opponent's creatures, to get rid of anything he has that might be too unpleasant for you.

Anyway, it's hard to give too much strategic advice without knowing more information, but the nice thing about Duels is that you only have to win one game to advance (where as normally it would be best out of 3) so even if you are not the best Magic player yet (how could you be) you can get through it, and as you play through it you will get much better.

My husband was starting Magic only a bit before the first Duels came out and while he struggled with it a bit at first, he became a MUCH better Magic player because of it.

Oh yes the first duels I loved the challenge mode... I feel like I got better from that too. Some of them were VERY challenging but you learn a lot more about synergy between cards. Might wanna give that a look too if they still have it in 2012.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dangazzm wrote:

Oh yes the first duels I loved the challenge mode... I feel like I got better from that too. Some of them were VERY challenging but you learn a lot more about synergy between cards. Might wanna give that a look too if they still have it in 2012.

In 2012 the Challenges are mixed in with the ordinary campaign (but still optional). I found the pacing of the original duels to be too slow, but they tightened everything up a bit for the 2012 one and I really like it. I haven't gotten to play through the expansion yet, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toebus
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Best card in the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
delirimouse wrote:

Yes it's on the lowest setting. The starting match is a red deck. I think it will just take some getting used to the game and its strategies. There is a lot to absorb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toebus
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Best card in the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dangazzm wrote:

3. Tougher one of the tips and it will start to come more naturally is to choose your attack wisely. Know which ones your opponent will block and with what, decide if he could possibly have some cards in his hand to turn the tides of the battle to his favor... then finally decide if the battle is worth it for you or if you will loose more than him. Waiting and building more creatures isn't a bad thing, you shouldn't be attacking every turn... unless he has no creatures that is hah.

This is probably what I was doing wrong the most. I would attack often and then have no one to block with. I suppose I could take out the opponents more powerful creature by blocking with a few weaker ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Foote
United States
Carter Lake
Iowa
flag msg tools
toebus wrote:
Dangazzm wrote:

This is probably what I was doing wrong the most. I would attack often and then have no one to block with. I suppose I could take out the opponents more powerful creature by blocking with a few weaker ones.

Exactly that's key right there. Even if you have one of the two advantages (Beef or mass as I call them, which is biggest monster and most) you need to play like chess... sure sacrifice a few but make sure you don't sacrifice your advantage in the process! A player having both beefy and mass is gonna wreck you quick. So since someone else said that deck has pacify in it. That's what its used for right there, that and pissing me off with my green decks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toebus wrote:

don't purchase the unlocked deck ... i think most of the fun comes from unlocking new cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toebus
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Best card in the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
I DID IT! And had two more wins right after that too! I think I just wasn't playing the card combos right and being too eager to attack.

Thanks for all the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Full
United States
Vienna
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unveilmyeyes wrote:
don't purchase the unlocked deck ... i think most of the fun comes from unlocking new cards

This x100.

I have friends who buy the game and then pay to unlock all the decks immediately... and they don't really learn how to strategically use all the cards. By unlocking them slowly you get to trickle them into the deck and really see how to effectively use each card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miyu wrote:
unveilmyeyes wrote:

This x100.

I have friends who buy the game and then pay to unlock all the decks immediately... and they don't really learn how to strategically use all the cards. By unlocking them slowly you get to trickle them into the deck and really see how to effectively use each card.

It is always a bit sad when you unlock a card and immediately remove it from the deck, though. I suppose it wouldn't teach new players good things if the correct answer was to include every card you unlocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Full
United States
Vienna
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delirimouse wrote:

It is always a bit sad when you unlock a card and immediately remove it from the deck, though. I suppose it wouldn't teach new players good things if the correct answer was to include every card you unlocked.

But that just means you know the game well enough to recognize that the card wouldn't be useful. Someone learning the game for the first time would probably think, "Sweet! New card!"

Until they learn it stinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miyu wrote:
delirimouse wrote:

But that just means you know the game well enough to recognize that the card wouldn't be useful. Someone learning the game for the first time would probably think, "Sweet! New card!"

Until they learn it stinks.

Oh yes, it is very well designed to help new players learn by doing, rather than lecturing, which is much more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.