Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincent de Wildt
Netherlands
Beverwijk
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So i was right about thinking the game wouldnt be that challenging when playing it with seven or eight players? Hope to see youre report when playing it with four or five.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I can't comment on the gameplay yet... I just picked up the game, and the components are indeed first rate. Gorgeous - colorful - twisted images... my only concern are the smaller cards and how they'll hold up. I am not TOO concerned, mind you, because FFG has produced other games with the smaller card set (TI3 springs to mind) and they've held up fine.

But seriously - the pieces are glorious to behold! The Old One's have great and mystical powers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Moss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also played the game the reviewer is talking about, and the only thing that I feel I can add is: if you feel like playing with 8 people - don't.

It was simply too long, and in all seriousness there is simply not enough 'fun' in the game to warrant the 3.5 to 4 hours that we spent playing it.

Played with 4 or 5 fast players who are comfortable with the rules I can believe that this would be a great way to spend 1.5 to 2 hours, but more than that just seems to make this game unbearable.

My 2 cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tornadog wrote:
nice review.somehow after reading the review, I think this is just a good game; nothing that is gonna wow people like SoC did. That game gave me goosebumps playing the first time. This one might be interesting right now because its in the news, but give a cpl of months and it will be relegated to the game closet. might even end up on a tradelist by the looks of it. well next week I will know for sure.

I had the exact opposite reaction. Admittedly, I haven't played AH yet--I've only read the rules and punched my bits--but SoC left me extremely cold and this struck me as an exciting change of pace. As with all things, mileage will vary, but SoC is getting a lot of hype due to its incredible production design--not the gameplay (imo). Days of Wonder comes with a built-in hype audience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Baumbach
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played a 4 player game.

At first, I thought this game might be fiddly, but now ... I like it. And so do the other three people. And I think the 10+ so people who watched and checked in on us want a crack at it.

You have enough monsters running around that the wrong Mythos card can totally turn the game around. We were winning, but in the end, after a few Mythos cards made the present monsters hop directly into our path, some of us went insane too often. Elder God popped up because I could not close all the gates myself while the others tried but kept running away. Since we were all poorly equipped, we got eaten.

But thank the Creator we were eaten first. XD

I thought for sure after the downhill slide to failure that the game would be frustrating. But it wasn't. People actually had FUN trying not to go insane and/or dying, even when the odds were clearly stacked against us. The theme and the flow was fun. And chanting ONE OF US in a creepy voice as each player falls seems to add flavor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gte910h wrote:
I played with 2 people last night. We lost.

The game moved much faster, there were more monsters about by far, and the game was much more challenging.

We fought the old one this time that just ends the game if he ever gets summoned into the world. This happened.

It was a fun experience all the way to the end.

-Michael

We've only played twice--once with 5 players and once with 2--but I'd say with relative certainty that the game could not be won with only two players against Azathoth (the Elder God you played against). With gates potentially opening every turn, it would be impossible not to go to the Final Battle eventually--unless you got supernaturally lucky and all of the Mythos cards you drew indicated Gates that were already open. So, if I were playing a 2-player game and drew Azathoth as the Elder God, I'd draw a different one. Does anyone disagree?

The rules, I think, stress that 4-5 players are recommended, and I'm beginning to think these are the only numbers that would be worthwhile. We've won the game with 2 players (against Nyarlthotep), but the fact that the Final Battle was unavoidable really hurt the fun factor. We tried closing Gates as best we could--and we did get lucky with quite a few Mythos draws, meaning new Gates didn't open every turn--but we should have just stocked up on a couple of physical weapons, a handful of clue tokens (3-4 would be enough to squeak by) and then left the Gates alone to accelerate the endgame. Of course, we didn't know that at the time.

It also sounds like more than 5 players is sort of a waste, too, so my plan from now on is to play with no less than three and no more than five. But, I'm going to try for four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you have fewer players, it is necessary to play smarter... a little metagame knowledge really helps here.

The key is this: know which locations have the hottest gates (i.e. the locations where gates MOST OFTEN spring up). Make sure you seal those as fast as you can. Likewise, know which locations have the least chance of a gate springing up - you can just close those and don't bother sealing them.

There are definitely some tactical decisions - based on point-in-the-game, clue token availability, etc. that will impact what gates you want to go after - but knowing these things will drastically improve your chance of survival in a fewer player game.

I have played a few 2 player games so far, and although we have lost each time, we got REALLY close to closing all the gates. A little bad luck was all that stood between us and the end - and I rather like it. Decisions impact this game, but there is just enough luck to keep things interesting... and that's precisely how I like my cooperative board games (and is precisely why I got rid of Runebound 1st. Decisions didn't matter too much and randomness ruled the roost).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's very helpful, Deadeye, thanks. I didn't realize the Gate locations weren't evenly distributed in the deck. Interesting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
That's very helpful, Deadeye, thanks. I didn't realize the Gate locations weren't evenly distributed in the deck. Interesting...

Sure thing! It does a make a BIG difference in the tactical considerations... while it might be harder to get to the gate in the woods (and tougher to close/seal) the woods is a VERY hot spot and is probably worth the effort.

I can't remember what the exact breakdown is, but IIRC, the woods, the witch house, Independence Square and 1 more have 10 cards each... whereas the Historical Society, the science building and a couple of others only have 2 mythos cards each.

What I like about the breakdown too, is that in most cases, it makes sense... the woods outside Arkham aren't inviting, the witch house, well, that just SOUNDS bad... so the theme encapsulates the frequency a bit too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael mcintyre
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Actually, if I were playing two players, I would love to get azathoth because while he negates the endgame, he is the easiest to close/seal the gates on. He affects the gameworld the least and has the longest doomtrack. I just played a two player against yig, and we had 5 gates sealed before he woke up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinister
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
we played two players and beat yig. We were doing well on the gates but couldn't get them all sealed at once. I'm guessing with big A we would have lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Padgett
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
DavidT wrote:
gte910h wrote:
I played with 2 people last night. We lost.

The game moved much faster, there were more monsters about by far, and the game was much more challenging.

We fought the old one this time that just ends the game if he ever gets summoned into the world. This happened.

It was a fun experience all the way to the end.

-Michael

We've only played twice--once with 5 players and once with 2--but I'd say with relative certainty that the game could not be won with only two players against Azathoth (the Elder God you played against). With gates potentially opening every turn, it would be impossible not to go to the Final Battle eventually--unless you got supernaturally lucky and all of the Mythos cards you drew indicated Gates that were already open. So, if I were playing a 2-player game and drew Azathoth as the Elder God, I'd draw a different one. Does anyone disagree?

I disagree with this! ;-)

I played a 2 player game last night against Azathoth and we wiped the floor with him! :-)

We were lucky as one of us had the professor (Who suffers 1 less sanity loss) and the Heal & Find Gate spells. These enabled him to zoom through the other worlds such that we actually managed to close all of the gates!

This performance was a distinct improvement upon our first game where Nyarlathotep awoke early, ate my character immediatly and then toyed with my girlfriend before devouring her as well! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Wong
msg tools
Gets easier with more players, but we fixed that!
gte910h wrote:
With other amounts of players, the game will be challenging in different ways. I'm interested in playing a 3-4 player version soon with a couple friends.

The game isn't strategically difficult, but you need a paranoid mindset to ensure the evil god's failure. I will report back after a couple more plays on the difficulty of the tactics.

We've managed to make the game strategically difficult and colorful.

Yes, you're right that 8-player games are cakewalks. 1-player games are nearly impossible; 2-3 is heroic; 4-6 is normal pacing; 7-8 is snoozefest. But instead of scribbling over the box to say "For 4-6 players Only", we've created houserules to throw the game into a CONSISTENT balance whether you play 1 or 8 players.

It's a boardgame, not a computer game. You can "patch" it any way you like.

Our houserules took a lot of thinking and mathematical calculations (statistics, probability, tempo, etc). You might enjoy it. But be warned. Those rules make an 8-player game as difficult as a 1-player game. But they do make a 1-player game actually feasible to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually found the game to be easier with one or two players. It keeps the focus tighter and Clue Tokens aren't as difficult to come by (that in turn makes it easier to seal gates). In fact, probably 80% of the time we win without waking the Ancient One in a 2 player game (usually by sealing gates).

There's an erratta for 5+ players in the Dunwich Horror expansion. When you open a Gate, place 2 monsters instead of 1. This adds just enough difficulty that it doesn't seem like a cake-walk...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deadeyedick wrote:
I can't remember what the exact breakdown is, but IIRC, the woods, the witch house, Independence Square and 1 more have 10 cards each... whereas the Historical Society, the science building and a couple of others only have 2 mythos cards each.

Someone made a chart about the occurance ratio posted on the FFG boards. In brief, there are 4 hot, 3 medium, and 4 low locations that are unstable. They brake down like this:

10 Gates: Woods (6), Unvisited Isle (5), Independence Square (4), Witch House (1)
6 Gates: Black Cave (10), Unnamable (9), Graveyard (2)
2 Gates: Historical Society (8), Sience Building (8), Hibb's Roadhouse (5), Silver Twilight Lodge (2)

The posting with a spreadsheet chart can be found at http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=....

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, both expansions increased the difficulty level by quite a bit. Kind of nice, but wouldn't recommend a new player to use any expansions quite yet.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.