Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Kline

Norristown
Pennsylvania
msg tools
designer
mbmb
We're all geeks here, so someone's gotta be a coder...

Looking for advice, opinions, etc, right now, I'm hoping to find a good coder that could help me with this. I'm designing a skirmish miniatures game, and eventual introductory board game using the same rules. It's also kind of like a RPG, where players can build their gang and each member of the gang gains XP after a fight, and you use XP to increase your attributes and learn new skills.

Instead of just doing everything on paper the old fashioned way (which will always be an option, regardless), I'd like to create an online gang builder application as part of the game's website. I can handle the web design myself, just not the hardcore coding that it would require.

Basic idea is... you create an account on the website, pick your username & password. You click "create a gang". You give your gang a name, and then start adding members, starting with the leader. You list the model's current XP and this determines how many points you can spend on attributes (like Strength, Stamina, etc). Spend your points on your attributes, and if you raise one high enough to earn a special skill, it automatically adds the skill on too. As your XP increases, you can also gain extra health, and it automatically updates that when the time comes. Then, you select whatever weapons the model has.

You do that for each member of the gang, it adds up everyone's XP and the total is the whole gang's XP, and this is used to determine how tough your gang is, so if you play against a gang with a similar level, it will be a fair fight.

Anyway, once the gang is finished, you save it and can access it from anywhere with a smartphone or tablet, or just print it out like a list, or in little card-sized blocks for each model, so you could cut them out and put them in baseball card pages similar to games like Warmachine. Any special rules associated with your skills or weapons will also be listed on the roster or card.

When you save your gang, it gets an ID #. When you play against someone else that uses the site, you get their gang's ID #. You come back to the site and make a battle report that basically says "My gang fought this gang and won". The site keeps track of each gang's wins & losses (and there will be sitewide leaderboards, etc), and also what happened after the game. Each model earns XP, so you can edit your gang and updated each model's XP, list how many kills a model got, or if your model got killed or injured. Then it puts together an all new updated list for you, and you can go out and play again.

So... that's the basic idea, there's a lot more detail to it but hopefully you can see where I'm going. Just wondering what something like this would take to get going, and if there's anyone out there that would like to help me with this project. I'm asking here instead of a coder website because I'm hoping to find a gamer that would want to do this, instead of some random cheap coder from India (no offense if that's where you're from ). The whole thing is really meant to just be an easy way for players to keep track of their gangs and the different models in it, similar to programs like Army Builder, only this is web based and just for my game. And then also mix in the social media aspect of it where other people in the world can see your gang and how it's doing.

If this is something you might be interested in, feel free to reply or send me a GeekMail

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
PM'ed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not have the games played through the site as well? That way players don't have to copy down or enter information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kline

Norristown
Pennsylvania
msg tools
designer
mbmb
I don't want to get too involved in that regard because there's a lot of "old school" players that probably wouldn't be into it. So this is just an optional gang builder & maintenance kind of web application that you can use on a PC, tablet or smartphone. Really just something free for players who want that kind of thing, but we still have to cater to the folks that would rather write everything down, or use some other program to keep track of their gangs. Like, Warhammer 40K players can write their army list on a napkin if they want, or they can use programs like Army Builder. Same idea here, but you're only keeping track of 5-10 models, not 87.

The way it works is you play a game, and then update your gang online with who lived or died or gained XP. Then you can print out an updated gang roster, or if you have a device you can just use that to view your gang as you play.

Each gang gets an ID #, so you can also say who you fought against, and it will keep track of your wins and losses, and there will be leaderboards and stuff like that too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.