Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: No Retreat :The Russian Front or Sekigahara..... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a stressful week I need to release pressure and reward myself.

In two hours from now I will leave my office and walk into my FLAGS accross the street. I go for either Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan OR No Retreat! The Russian Front, buy it and walk out.
The above process will take only 5 minutes IF I COULD MAKE UP MY MIND.....

Which one game would you buy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know that Japanese game, but reading your name above your avatar, I would strongly recommend "No Retreat" meeple
Oh, and it's a great game too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ron but the choice is not as obvious as it might seem; I think I am already spoiled as far as WW II and Eastfront games are concerned so might be disappointed if I go for the obvious choice...or maybe not...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Henning
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played either of them yet. But Sekigahara is on my want to buy list. I have only heard good things about it and I think it will be easy to get it to the table as it is relatively short.It is also a little different in the mechanics and look then other war games. And it is a game about a period that doesn't have a ton of games about it. No Retreat I have also heard good things about from my club members but it is a much longer game, about a period that has lots of games about it and therefor at least with my group harder to get to the table. So for me it would definately be Sekigahara for it's uniqueness but I don't think you can go wrong with either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Obscure themes are cool and I think playing time is benefecial here. If I have time I play monster games so 1-0 for Sekigahara :-)

(Just noticed I did not post it in the wargame forum so many of you might not be familiar with these games. I posted it there as well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tough call if you have to make a decision. I enjoy CDGs and block games. Heck, I like all genres and MOST theatres.

I've played both a little. Sekigahara has such a cool feel to it for me. The way the cards are used really is cool. The game itself is very pretty. Could be a chess match.

No Retreat is very pretty as well. I played a game a few weeks ago. definitely chess like as well do to the low counter density. Great interactivity using cards, etc.

Both.

ninja

Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bromie
United Kingdom
WARRINGTON
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was my birthday this week so I've just ordered both of them.

I played the Victory Point Games edition of No Retreat a few months ago and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the deluxe treatment and extra scenarios.

Sekigahara just looks gorgeous and a step on from some Columbia block games (which I really like).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, I got Sekigahara for now, let's how long it will take before I get No Retreat....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.