Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I support my flgs even though its pretty average but has great stock. When they don't they offer to order it for you. I have never done this. It doesn't make sense. I am happy to spend the 10% markup to get it now and be supportive but why would I order it through them and not off Amazon or funagain or wherever. Am I wrong here?

Side note

Next year when no one can get Fleet ( you will see) cause its so hot ask them to order it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
riddlen wrote:
I support my flgs even though its pretty average but has great stock. When they don't they offer to order it for you. I have never done this. It doesn't make sense. I am happy to spend the 10% markup to get it now and be supportive but why would I order it through them and not off Amazon or funagain or wherever. Am I wrong here?

Side note

Next year when no one can get Fleet ( you will see cause its so hot ask them to order it

...and not to mention put it on your doorstep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I am like the lone dissenter in this discussion.

I have 2 outstanding FLGS within 5 minutes of my house. I don't order from them for the following reasons:

1 - I feel like I buy enough there on a regular enough basis that my ordering something they don't have in stock / don't regularly carry isn't putting them out of business. I'm easily a $1,500 - 2,000/yr. customer so I don't feel ashamed of ordering from someplace else.

2 - The FLGS gets ALL of my impulse buys. So things I may never have purchased, I will pick up because I'm playing a game at the store and see it on the shelves. A great example of this C3i & Operations magazines. I buy those when I see one I like at the store. A more pricey example is expansions for games that drive me to buy the core game from the FLGS.

So, in the end, they're still making out far ahead of the deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
A few years ago at a local store I tried this and it never ended well. I'd ask them about a title, they said they could order it for me. And then it either never showed up or they'd never call and I'd find it sitting on their store shelf later. They were always real interested in ordering stuff, they'd just never follow up on it later. Your mileage may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medlinke wrote:
I am like the lone dissenter in this discussion.

I have 2 outstanding FLGS within 5 minutes of my house. I don't order from them for the following reasons:

1 - I feel like I buy enough there on a regular enough basis that my ordering something they don't have in stock / don't regularly carry isn't putting them out of business. I'm easily a $1,500 - 2,000/yr. customer so I don't feel ashamed of ordering from someplace else.

2 - The FLGS gets ALL of my impulse buys. So things I may never have purchased, I will pick up because I'm playing a game at the store and see it on the shelves. A great example of this C3i & Operations magazines. I buy those when I see one I like at the store. A more pricey example is expansions for games that drive me to buy the core game from the FLGS.

So, in the end, they're still making out far ahead of the deal.

I think you agree with us...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I like supporting my FLGS when I can, but I'm also impatient. I'll usually buy a game from them, but if it's not in stock, I admit I'll probably just order it online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the local game store where I play on game nights, the only things I regularly buy are sodas and card sleeves. He doesn't get new product until 2-3 weeks after it's released, which is exactly how long it took to get an item I asked him to order for me, after it was released.

All of my orders ARE special orders through my friend who has an alliance account...

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
A few years ago at a local store I tried this and it never ended well. I'd ask them about a title, they said they could order it for me. And then it either never showed up or they'd never call and I'd find it sitting on their store shelf later. They were always real interested in ordering stuff, they'd just never follow up on it later. Your mileage may vary.

Same experience here.

The LGS had some things once in awhile that I'd buy but their shelf stock is quite limited (they stocked mostly WH40K and MtG stuff which I don't play) so I tried to support them by ordering through them but they weren't interested in making some money. Fine by me. I can give it to somebody else just as easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Edwards
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do. If there's a really good game that I want to buy and am fairly certain that my FLGS can order it, I will ask them to do so. Because of this, he has learned what I like, and will often have games that he thinks I'll be interested in ordered for me (sometimes games I've never even heard of).

At the same time, this is not a hard and fast rule - if he can't order it, or if I'm concerned that his order will not be fulfilled by the distributor on a particularly popular game, I might order it online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to mix between our FLGS and online stores. My FLGS gets the majority of my business and definitely gets all the impulse buys. From time to time though either they don't have something and can't get hold of it for me or there's an offer online and I'll order off the internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Hannemann
United Kingdom
Upper Heyford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
A few years ago at a local store I tried this and it never ended well. I'd ask them about a title, they said they could order it for me. And then it either never showed up or they'd never call and I'd find it sitting on their store shelf later. They were always real interested in ordering stuff, they'd just never follow up on it later. Your mileage may vary. :)

Same thing happened to me in THREE different stores.
I learned my lesson. Nowadays I normally go into those stores knowing what I want. If they don't have it I walk out and order online. At least then I know I'll get it within 2 days (and a little cheaper, too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
The MatrixCube wrote:
ScottE wrote:

Same thing happened to me in THREE different stores.
I learned my lesson. Nowadays I normally go into those stores knowing what I want. If they don't have it I walk out and order online. At least then I know I'll get it within 2 days (and a little cheaper, too).

I tried with one and not only did they not tell me, when I saw it on the shelf behind the counter I didn't have any money with me. When I went back a few days later they had sold it because it was the only one in the store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prakash Madhav
United States
Maineville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
A few years ago at a local store I tried this and it never ended well. I'd ask them about a title, they said they could order it for me. And then it either never showed up or they'd never call and I'd find it sitting on their store shelf later. They were always real interested in ordering stuff, they'd just never follow up on it later. Your mileage may vary. :)

Same thing happened to me. I've tried it 4 times from 4 different stores. All of them were eager to get it for me. Two of them never ended up getting it. One of them got it but never told me it was in. The last one got it and charged $5 above MSRP as a supposed "convenience charge."

Sadly, I have gotten way better and faster service from stores with an online presence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've happily ordered various games from a FLGS run by a friendly guy I know from local gaming circles (and who also helps facilitate game meetings - so sometimes we have done pick-ups of our orders at game club meetings).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
It is highly unusual for me not to have 5 or 6 outstanding special orders from my local game store at any given time.

I've gotten to the point that I'm rarely in a hurry to get a copy of a game. I have plenty of games to keep me occupied, so if it takes a while to come in, it doesn't bother me and keeps my favorite hangout in business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
Never. If there's something I want and it's in stock (or even better, it's OOP but in stock) I'll buy it but if it has to be ordered I can get it faster and cheaper by ordering online. Besides, the nearest F"L"GS with a decent selection of games is more than 30 minutes away by car.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mad Hatter
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My somewhat cynical take:

I always raise an eyebrow when I ask at a FLGS for an item that is sold out, and they respond "we can order it for you." As if they have some mystical magical alchemy that if it's not in stock there, it can only be obtained through some obscure channels which only they know about.

It's 2011 - there's the internet - if I wanted it ordered, I can do it myself. And save money to boot, usually. But even if I did order it, it's usually "we only get the ordered stuff in on Tuesdays" or something like that. Because FedEx and UPS only deliver once a week? Not in my neighborhood...

So the whole "we can order it for you" thing is outmoded with sites like CSI and Thoughthammer and B&B. Ages ago, yeah, it probably was a more efficient means of getting something that was unavailable at the moment...but nowadays?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ordinary Evidence
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got back from my FLGS where I placed an order for Elder Sign and Fortune and Glory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Patten
United States
Cypress
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No, no, I'm fine. How are you?
mbmbmbmbmb

I like my FLGS a lot, know many of the employees by name, and talk it up whenever possible, but special ordering through them have been so hit and miss between computer problems, distributor problems and communication problems that I'll only do it now for games that I worry I won't see in the store before they're gone, like the (delayed) Deluxe Limited Edition Ogre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:

Side note

Next year when no one can get Fleet ( you will see) cause its so hot ask them to order it

I ordered Alien Frontiers from my FLGS back in March or April of this year, it still has yet to show up. Luckily a few weeks after ordering from them I got smart and ordered directly from the company.

So, no I do not order from my FLGS.

Honestly though, why would I pay them extra to do what I can do myself? If my FLGS has it in stock then yes I can justify buying in store. If they are just going to go to their chosen internet sight for a discount, wouldn't I be smart to do the same?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It usually angers me when they offer. As inappropriate as it may be, I have this instinctive "I can order it MYSELF" reaction.

That being said, there is one FLGS near my school that gets shipments twice per week. They are the only people I've ever asked to order stuff for me as I'm not sure I could get it much faster myself, it does help support the FLGS, and its not a significant delay.

But in general... no, ordering stuff for me doesn't really work unless its hard-to-find stuff. Even then, maybe. The advantage of a gaming store is their in-stock selection. If they don't have that, I can't help but judge them on that and feel I don't really need them.

Hopefully they are at least knowledgeable enough to recommend something else for me in these situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:
Honestly though, why would I pay them extra to do what I can do myself?

Yeah, people never pay anyone to do something they could do themselves...

Quote:
If my FLGS has it in stock then yes I can justify buying in store. If they are just going to go to their chosen internet sight for a discount, wouldn't I be smart to do the same?

I can think of a variety of reasons you might order through a store:

* If you find ordering online inconvenient or annoying (or don't have a credit card or paypal account).

* If you live in an apartment or neighborhood where packages being delivered to your home are inconvenient or insecure.

* If you prefer supporting local small businesses in your area.

* If you like your FLGS and want to support them or thank them for supplying gaming space and demo copies to play. Especially if you tried the game you want to buy at their store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't really understand why a FLGS shopper wouldn't have them order something. If you would just order it yourself, why doesn't that stop you from non-special-order purchases, which you can also order yourself? To support the business? Then why not support them with a special order purchase, too?

Personally, I do all my shopping online. But if I did care about supporting my local FLGS I'm not sure why I would differentiate between a special order and a regular purchase. Either way, I'm going to have to drive out there and get it at a high price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
* If you prefer supporting local small businesses in your area.

* If you like your FLGS and want to support them or thank them for supplying gaming space and demo copies to play. Especially if you tried the game you want to buy at their store.

These two are my primary reasons for supporting my local FLGS. I will say that the store I frequent is fantastic - it's very rare that something I want isn't in stock, typically only if it's from a line that they don't carry regularly, so the number of times I've asked for a special order has been slim. Even then, they can get stuff just as fast as I can, and I don't have to pay shipping for it. Plus, the prices are excellent, and I'll probably get a better deal by ordering through the store than I will by ordering online and paying shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BagelManB wrote:
I don't really understand why a FLGS shopper wouldn't have them order something. If you would just order it yourself, why doesn't that stop you from non-special-order purchases, which you can also order yourself? To support the business? Then why not support them with a special order purchase, too?

Personally, I do all my shopping online. But if I did care about supporting my local FLGS I'm not sure why I would differentiate between a special order and a regular purchase. Either way, I'm going to have to drive out there and get it at a high price.

I don't regard FLGSs as a charity. They are not supported just because I like supporting them.

If I get some kind of benefit from using them, then I am happy to buy from them. Such benefits include things like having a great selection to browse, answering my questions about the games, being able to purchase games immediately, and having a game area to play and find players. If I use any one of these benefits, I feel obligated (in a good way) to buy the game from there.

If none of these benefits apply, there's no reason not to go elsewhere (such as online), especially when the elsewhere would save me money and add additional convenience (ship to my house, reward points, paypal payment options).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.