Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europae vincendarum
United States
Bama by way of San Diego
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the thought I was having this morning. Which makes a better president, a senator or a governor? Now I'm not talking about anyone in particular, no Republicans or Democrats, just which position do you think would better prepare someone for the job of president. And why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Let's have a poll:
Senator Palpatine
Governor Tarkin
      30 answers
Poll created by sikeospi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Historically a Governor has had better luck than a Senator. Obama was the first sitting Senator to win election to the Oval Office since Kennedy. In that time we've had 4 Governors (Carter, Reagan, Clinton, Bush) and 3 Vice Presidents (Johnson, Nixon, Bush).

Ford never won election so I didn't count him but he's also the only one besides Eisenhower since WW II to be President while never having served as a Governor or in the Senate. He was in the House of Representatives when Nixon picked him to be his VP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each has its own advantages in terms of experience. Being a Senator is a national position and grants insight into the federal legislative process. Being a governor, however, is more similar to being President. On balance, I think experience as a governor is probably more valuable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Presidents last hundred years, rated by aggravate ranking (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_president)

1 Franklin D. Roosevelt (G)
2 Woodrow Wilson (G)
3 Harry S. Truman (S)
4 Dwight D. Eisenhower
5 John F. Kennedy (S)
6 Lyndon B. Johnson (S)
7 Ronald Reagan (G)
8 Bill Clinton (G)
9 William Howard Taft
10 George H. W. Bush (HoR)
11 Gerald Ford (HoR)
12 Jimmy Carter (G+S)
13 Herbert Hoover
14 Calvin Coolidge (G)
15 Richard Nixon (S)
16 George W. Bush (G)
17 Warren G. Harding (S)

Governors: 1 2 7 8 12 14 16 = 60 / 7 = 8,57
Senators: 3 5 6 12 15 17 = 58 / 6 = 9,67
None of it: 4 9 10 11 13 = 47 / 5 = 9,4

Statistical significance = 0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You're right, I do find those rankings aggravating
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to nominate that for "typo which should not be fixed".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
10 George H. W. Bush (HoR)
11 Gerald Ford (HoR)
12 Jimmy Carter (G+S)

The HoRs and a state senator.

Sounds like the name of a late night movie...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
blush

OK, if that's your game:

I think Governor is better, it's apparently easier to spell than Senator
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
sikeospi wrote:
Governor Grand Moff Tarkin

FTFY.

- Dweebilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarkin was the Colin Powell of long long ago / far far away... a basically OK guy made to do terrible things to prop up teh systems. Good president material there. Satisfying pathos and all that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Tarkin was also the only one who was willing/able to put Vader in his place.

And he wasn't even a Jedi!!!!

I mean, how cool is that?!!

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
He was Vader's HR guy. "I need a battalion of stormtroopers for Saturday, on time and a half." "No... the emperor commands that only permanent troopers get overtime."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarkin was a total prick. He destroyed an entire planet on a whim. So he was much more frightening than Darth Vader who basically lost every fight he found himself in. I know, he beat Luke in the lightsaber duel on Cloud City, but Luke was a novice and Vader failed to turn him. It was a loss.

Tarkin still creeps me out. Vader is a loser. A compelling loser, but a loser all the same.

Of course neither has anything on Noah Cross.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
Tarkin was a total prick. He destroyed an entire planet on a whim. So he was much more frightening than Darth Vader who basically lost every fight he found himself in. I know, he beat Luke in the lightsaber duel on Cloud City, but Luke was a novice and Vader failed to turn him. It was a loss.

Tarkin still creeps me out. Vader is a loser. A compelling loser, but a loser all the same.

Of course neither has anything on Noah Cross.

He did successfully capture the Corvette at the Beginning of New Hope, though he failed to get the plans. Hmm, you might be right. Really, I guess his last victory was slaughtering the Jedi children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Vader was a very twisted Michael Jackson impersonator: He was a pretty white boy that tried to be black as hard as he could: He have very expensive surgeries that even let him sound like James Earl Jones!. Then he got involved with children, and used his laser prick on them, with disastrous results.

I'd not be surprised if, after a couple of drinks, Vader didn't start singing Smooth Criminal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Probably the best politicians would be non-politicians, so the answer is neither.

You know the old saying:"Power atracts the corruptible, absolute power atracts the absolutely corruptible."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I love how the mass media depiction has crammed public perception of politics into dumb, shallow narratives to a point that both Star Wars and actual politics can be seamlessly combined in a thread.

Remember to show support for the aniversary of the terrorist attack on the Death Star. NEVER FORGET.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.