Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to understand the association between BGG user and game designer/game artist.

(1) Is it correct that the link between a game design and a BGG user has to be done by an Admin?

So if there is a user "John Smith" and a game designer "John Smith" who has been entered into the system as a person, the two are not linked just because the names happen to be the same.

The point of course is that if the BGG user is linked to a "person" in the BGG database, and that "person" is a game designer, then the BGG user would get a "BGG Game Designer" badge.

(2) The BGG Game Artist badge still a Ubergeek badge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
herace wrote:
I'm trying to understand the association between BGG user and game designer/game artist.

(1) Is it correct that the link between a game design and a BGG user has to be done by an Admin?

So if there is a user "John Smith" and a game designer "John Smith" who has been entered into the system as a person, the two are not linked just because the names happen to be the same.

Yes, of course they are not linked just because the names happen to be the same. Otherwise I could change my user name from Russ Williams to Reiner Knizia and magically become a prolific successful game designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply Russ. I was hoping for an admin, or a BGG designer to chime in.

I had edited the wiki page on badges and so forth. I just wanted "official" conformation on the detail that such a linking was an admin function before changing the wiki page to state this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I have occasionally done a correction on a game's page or mailed an admin to link a designer to the appropriate user. AFAIK it's only done by admins and no other way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Russ.

See:
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Graphical_User_Representa...

Still need confirmation that the Game Artist badge is an Ubergeek badge. Rumors that this was going to be fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the game designer has to choose to link their designer page to their user page. (It's opt-in, not opt-out.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
Also, the game designer has to choose to link their designer page to their user page. (It's opt-in, not opt-out.)

thanks. Fixed wiki page to note it is opt in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.