Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Kinsman
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So after randomly stumbled onto this game, I did a little research, read the rules, and (loving Dominant Species as much as I do) quickly P500'd it. I'm very much looking forward to the results.

In the meantime, I have been having the most minor, silly grievance regarding Urban Sprawl, and it stems from SimCity. You had 3 kinds of zoning in SC - residential, commercial, and industrial. These were the colours green, blue, and yellow respectively. Now in Urban Sprawl, they have reversed those last two, and I suspect it's going to catch me at least once when I start playing. =P Alas, a small price to pay for greatness, right?

But yeah, I was just wondering if anyone else had felt this way, or if I just get to be that little bit extra geeky. ;P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ice
United States
San Jose
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't realize they did that, but its going to bug the shit out of me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Crotty
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should read this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ArcticLancer wrote:
In the meantime, I have been having the most minor, silly grievance regarding Urban Sprawl, and it stems from SimCity. You had 3 kinds of zoning in SC - residential, commercial, and industrial. These were the colours green, blue, and yellow respectively. Now in Urban Sprawl, they have reversed those last two, and I suspect it's going to catch me at least once when I start playing. =P Alas, a small price to pay for greatness, right?

They should have used actual planning standard colors for land uses. Residential is yellow tones, commercial is red, and industry is blue/purple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kinsman
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice link, thanks. I definitely wouldn't have expected to find such facts in there.
It also validates that pretty much anyone who has played SimCity at any length is going to be bothered by this. Heh ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've played a lot of Sim City over the years starting with the original and going through current games up to 4. I don't think it's going to be an issue for me though. The Iconography is going to help so I'm just not worried about the color changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I've done aesthetically is to always have a zone name color-coded. This is done throughout the rulebook as well as the cards. For example, if a card effect refers to red civic buildings, the 3-letter abbreviation will be colored red, like so: CIV.

So while the actual names of the varying building zones are present in the game's components (though most often as abbreviations than full descriptors) they are more flavor than function. During play you can differentiate the five zones via internalized color coding, and often by each zone's added symbology.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gage
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mb
As a person who has played his share of Sim City and more than his share of Urban Sprawl I never ran into any "crossover" difficulties, but that may just be me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.