Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just something which came up as my brother and I were playing. If the players put their Monster cards face down on the table then flop them, you don't need to all throw simultaneously.

This is also means that you can then deal out the Building cards face up. It has the same result -- the players make their choice of Monster card before they see the Building cards -- but it's less clunky.

So the new procedure would be:
-All Players put their Monster card face down
-Dealer deals the Building cards face up
-Players flop their Monster cards and game proceeds as normal.

Just some thoughts. What do you guys think?

Also, considering that the Monster cards do not interact with the Building cards, it's very simple to make your own Monster cards from card stock. Just find some art and put some numbers on there and print them out. Instantly, you have King Ghidorah, Gigan, and others ready for combat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bartel
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I understand.

Aren't the building cards supposed to be face-up anyways? In other words, you and I both see the building cards and then we each secretly decide which monster card to play from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules as I read them were that the Building cards are dealt face down. Then all players put down their Monster cards face up at the same time. Then the Building cards are flopped. The idea being that you decide what Monster card to play before you can see what the Buildings are for this round.

The way my brother and I were doing it had the same effect but seemed to flow better since each player flips their one Monster card instead of the dealer having to flip 4 or more Building cards. Plus the players can throw their Monster cards at any time and then flip them at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Leduc
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RobBartel wrote:
I don't think I understand.

Aren't the building cards supposed to be face-up anyways? In other words, you and I both see the building cards and then we each secretly decide which monster card to play from there.

Yeah, that's how I've always seen it played. I think it adds a lot of strategy that would otherwise be missed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's entirely possible. But I was going by the rules as printed.

Either way adds some element. With deciding on the Monster card before you see the Building cards you are essentially wagering your choice against what Buildings might be there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to check the wording in the rules but the buildings should be dealt face up for all to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if that's the case then it doesn't really matter.

I still think from a simple mechanics standpoint throwing your Monster card face down and then flipping it is easier than "Everyone puts down their Monster card simultaneously" because then you have the "Are you ready? Are you ready?" like John McCarthy in a UFC fight.

If I am understanding, the actual procedure is that the Building cards are dealt face up, then everyone picks and throws a Monster card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
ljacone wrote:
Well if that's the case then it doesn't really matter.

I still think from a simple mechanics standpoint throwing your Monster card face down and then flipping it is easier than "Everyone puts down their Monster card simultaneously" because then you have the "Are you ready? Are you ready?" like John McCarthy in a UFC fight.

If I am understanding, the actual procedure is that the Building cards are dealt face up, then everyone picks and throws a Monster card?

Yes. All monster cards are revealed simulataneously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MK-Ultra71 wrote:

Yes. All monster cards are revealed simulataneously.

Well at least I had that part right. Still think players can put their Monster card face down while waiting on others.

And custom Monster cards are still a reality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Ouimet
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards are placed face up, per the rules:

"At the beginning of each round, draw two more Building cards than there are players in the game, and place them, face up, at the center of the table."

The monster attack cards are placed face down per the rules:

"Each player now selects one of their Monster Attack cards for hte round, and places it face down in front of them."

This is done after the building cards are drawn face up. Otherwise you would only be guessing, there would be no tactics at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.