Subject: citadels rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
L Japps
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I purchased the game after seeing that is was a popular fun board game (Checked this web site). I wanted to have it to play on vacaton with the family - my two teenage boys like computer games - this should be a welcome change...
Anyway the directions are confusing, we don't know how to play...
Can any one help us with very simple directions....

ANyone out there in Minnesota?? Playing with someone who knows how might be some way to get us started... Thanks for any help!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is awesome.

Simply put...

Crown picks a character and passes to the left. After all players have characters, play in order of initiative. IE Assassin goes first, then thief, then magician... During a turn you must do ONE of two actions. Take two gold, or take two cards and select one to keep, one to put on the bottom of the deck. Then you MAY play one district by paying its cost in gold. Use your special ability at any time during your turn. Go to the next player in initiative.

The number of players you have determines exactly how characters are selected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Leach
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a quick reference sheet in pdf format from the game page for Citadels.

http://www.bggfiles.com/viewfile.php3?fileid=11052

You may find this helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donkeystyle wrote:
This game is awesome.

Simply put...

Crown picks a character and passes to the left. After all players have characters, play in order of initiative. IE Assassin goes first, then thief, then magician... During a turn you must do ONE of two actions. Take two gold, or take two cards and select one to keep, one to put on the bottom of the deck. Then you MAY play one district by paying its cost in gold. Use your special ability at any time during your turn. Go to the next player in initiative.

The number of players you have determines exactly how characters are selected.

Nice summary.

For the first few rounds, I would give each player particular roles (rather than have them choose one). Then you can explain the special abilities of all the roles as they appear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a decent play by web interface at:

http://ciudadelas.frenopatico.net/index.php

The site is in spanish, but can be switched to English after you login and set preferences.

You should be able to get a sense of the game by playing a game or two there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Short Round
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
Just choose the Assasin and Assasinate the King. Works every time. (Put on Megadeth's "Kill the King" for atmosphere)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What works every time? Why kill the king? The crown transfers even when the king dies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TinyPig wrote:
Just choose the Assasin and Assasinate the King. Works every time. (Put on Megadeth's "Kill the King" for atmosphere)

When first playing, its a common view that the King is very powerful. Its not a view that lasts for long.

There is no one 'right' strategy. In general, the Merchant and Architect are the 'most powerful' - but this is balanced by their late position in turn order.

Some of the other characters, particularly the Magician, are incredibly powerful when used by someone who knows what they are doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil ...but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think the game's incredibly well balanced. I dont think any one character is always more powerful than any other character, it just depends on how the game developes. Some games certainly the Merchant is very powerful, but then again with the right Warlord plays suddenly he's not all that. It's my experience with the game that the best strategy will depend heavily on the players you have at the table w/you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thoia wrote:
I think the game's incredibly well balanced. I dont think any one character is always more powerful than any other character, it just depends on how the game developes. Some games certainly the Merchant is very powerful, but then again with the right Warlord plays suddenly he's not all that. It's my experience with the game that the best strategy will depend heavily on the players you have at the table w/you.

Agreed. Note that I don't think they are perfectly balanced (for example I think its easier to play a strategy hinging on the Magician than the Thief, for example). But definitely well balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.