Subject: Challenge Deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Hodge
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
So I have been planning on ordering a set of Artscow cards, and through Sep 19, there is a coupon for twenty percent off plus free shipping. The "Traitor" variant didn't strike my fancy, but the "Heavy Treasure" thread gave me an idea for a "Challenge Deck" containing several cards with rule modifications for extra challenge.

Here are my ideas:
1) “Heavier Than It Looks” – Each treasure an adventurer possesses reduces the number of actions available each turn by one. Treasures may be deposited safely on Fool’s Landing by stopping on that space (no additional action needed).

2) “Home Sweet Home” – Adventurers may not use their special ability if the starting location noted on their Adventurer Card has been removed from the game.

3) “Here or There” – When building the Forbidden Island, place each Treasure Figurine on one of the two corresponding island tiles. Treasures may only be captured from the tile on which they are located. Adventurers may use one action to move each uncaptured Treasure Figuring from its current location to its other corresponding island tile. If that tile has been removed from the game, the treasure cannot be captured until it is returned to the available tile.

4) “Off to a Wet Start” – After the Forbidden Island has been built, select two island tiles and remove them from the game.

5) “Not So Fast” – Adventurers may use one action to allow any Adventurer to play a Special Action card. Special Action cards may not be played at any other time.

6) “It’s a Tough Job” – Each Adventurer’s special power may be used no more than four times over the course of the game.

7) “Vanishing Resources” – Whenever the Treasure deck is empty, randomly select two cards from the discard pile and remove them from the game. “Waters Rise!” cards cannot be removed this way, and no more than one copy of any other card can be removed this way.

8) “Flash Flooding” – At the start of the game, draw the top ten cards from the Flood deck, instead of the top six, and flip the corresponding tiles over to their flooded side. Immediately shuffle these ten cards back into the Flood deck.

9) “Embrace Diversity” – Adventurers may not perform any one action more than twice per turn.

A deck with 18 Tile Layouts + 24 Adventurer Cards has room for either 12 Challenge Cards or 8 Challenge Cards + 4 Special Treasure Cards.

Of the nine I have here, I think I like "Embrace Diversity" the least, so I'm likely to have the other 8 printed up. But I would be happy to have input with other ideas or modifications to my suggestions. I've pulled together a card back that I'm happy with but haven't made a front yet. I'll post an Artscow link when they are ready to be shared.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about a system of challenge cards that add extra little rules to the game (or a task to complete) each time a treasure is recovered?

Maybe a Pass/Fail effect.

If you perform the Pass effect, you can discard the challenge.
If you draw another challenge (by claiming another treasure), then discard the old challenge and resolve its Fail effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hodge
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Order placed.
http://www.artscow.com/gallery/card/forbidden-island-expansi...

(When you click the link, some of the text may look messed up, but if you hit the "Make Changes" button, they will appear correctly.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul R
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow, those cards look great!
I've never heard of artscow, are the cards you get from them pretty good quality? How do they compare to the original FI cards in size? I'm assuming you would need to mix the base game action cards (waters rise, helicopter, sandbags) with these to play, but does that work well?
When you get them let us know how they are to play with. If they work out well, I'll buy myself a set too

edit- after looking at the treasure cards in your expansion, maybe I'm just misunderstanding it. Are the treasure cards in the expansion supposed to be mixed in with the base treasure deck? I see the backs are different, so it seems they would stand out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hodge
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Kasona wrote:
wow, those cards look great!
I've never heard of artscow, are the cards you get from them pretty good quality? How do they compare to the original FI cards in size? I'm assuming you would need to mix the base game action cards (waters rise, helicopter, sandbags) with these to play, but does that work well?
When you get them let us know how they are to play with. If they work out well, I'll buy myself a set too

I just got a shipment notification a couple of days ago. I'll post when I receive and play with them.
Kasona wrote:
edit- after looking at the treasure cards in your expansion, maybe I'm just misunderstanding it. Are the treasure cards in the expansion supposed to be mixed in with the base treasure deck? I see the backs are different, so it seems they would stand out.

The only thing I created are the "Challege Deck" cards. To use them, just pick one at random prior to the start of the game. And maybe start the difficulty level one click lower than usual.

I believe the Treasure Power cards originated in this thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/547578/treasure-powers

The alternate layouts are here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/569926/official-variant-...

The new roles are here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/526794/10-new-roles

I believe all the art for those other cards was made by CoreyRIT:
Corey A
msg tools
mbmb

I'm going to attempt to change my deck to an Album, so users can more easily make a custom deck from whatever cards they choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hodge
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
All the card types:

A couple of Challenge Deck cards:

The cards themselves look great; the color and detail are just what you would want. They feel just OK, obviously less quality than the cards the come with the original game - more papery. But still totally fine and playable. They are roughly the same size as the original Forbidden Island cards but there is enough of a difference in size and feel that they are easily distinguishable.

I hope to play with them this weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey A
msg tools
mbmb
Nice job! Let us know how they work out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saint Ronin
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am hoping to get the higher-res artwork both for this deck and the traitor deck in order to combine them while probably removing some of the role cards or printing a larger deck, I am still not sure.

Just got the game last night and played both sides of a 2 player game on legendary. I lost of course, but it quickly taught me the mechanics of the game and it was definitely fun. I started so high since I was hoping for a short game, and although I got to 3 of the 4 treasures, I had not shored up enough tiles and got caught with having to reshuffle the treasure deck in order to get enough cards for the 4th treasure when I got hit with waters rise. At that point, I had only bothered to save the tiles I thought I would care about, not yet realizing that all I did was put the focus on the tiles that DID remain and that ended up screwing me over. I love the game so far though, and can't wait to play it with some friends. :-)

Again, if anyone has access to the original/hi-res artowrk for this deck and/or the traitor deck, I would appreciate it.

Regards,
Saint Ronin

P.S. Also posted in the traitor deck thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hodge
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
I made the challenge deck just using the ArtsCow built-in tools, so there's nothing that I can send by email. If you want to use them in a different deck you may be able to edit the deck I made by removing what you don't want and adding in what you do. Or it may be better if you just use the text in the first post to re-create the Challenge Deck cards. I've tried to export the designed cards as images, but haven't had any luck getting them at a high resolution to use in a regular gallery.

Good luck and please share if you make any alternate versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like some of your ideas. Very nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hann_Boe
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VTHodge wrote:
Order placed.
http://www.artscow.com/gallery/card/forbidden-island-expansi...

(When you click the link, some of the text may look messed up, but if you hit the "Make Changes" button, they will appear correctly.)

John,
is there a chance you might be able to post the share link for this album?

so that we might add the challenge cards to a custom deck?

i am referring to a discussion that happened tile layout forum. http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/569926/official-variant-tile...

Corey was able to go back into Artscow and then posted the link for his albums.

thanks!

-hann

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was led here for questions regarding the Challenge/chance deck.

Are the chance cards only used for the "Chance Circumstance" card? That seems like a lot of stuff going on in one game. I guess I should play around with it a figure it out myself. Has anyone else played with these cards? How did it go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hann_Boe
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BuckWilde wrote:
Are the chance cards only used for the "Chance Circumstance" card? That seems like a lot of stuff going on in one game. I guess I should play around with it a figure it out myself. Has anyone else played with these cards? How did it go?

Yes. The idea is that for a single game you choose one challenge card and carry out the written effect.

If you pick the challenge card "Chance Circumstance" then you would place the chance cards in the deck and mix...when i printed the cards from artscow, I printed the challenge and chance cards separately...to make the chance unknown...I am still trying to get my friends to try some of these.

I believe David Gregg may have had a chance to try these out.

David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet. I printed these out today and will hopefully get them to the table tonight. I will return and report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hann_Boe
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BuckWilde wrote:
Sweet. I printed these out today and will hopefully get them to the table tonight. I will return and report!

looking forward to your thoughts!
-hann

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torontoraptors
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have an artscow album for these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hann_Boe
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
torontoraptors wrote:
Does anyone have an artscow album for these?

there are some links here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/11027711
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.