Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randatollah
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is always interested in playing games with me. Unfortunately, a lot of my games are just too advnaced for his five years, so I'm always on the lookout for something we might be able to play together. When I stumbled across Quoridor, it looked like it might fit the bill.

Since I am on a budget, I rigged up and improvised version using narrow strips of vinyl for the fences, and pawns from my chess set. I figured that if it was fun, I could add the nice wooden set to my wish list.

I set the game up and explained the rules to my son. Then, in the spirit of good sportsmanship, I let him go first. Then I was promptly forced to explain how a fence could be placed several more times. Eventually, he grasped that the fences had to lay along the lines of the grid, and we were on our way.

Due to the improvised nature of the components, however, we soon ran into another snag. "Daddy," my son asked, "why can't he jump over the fence?" Thinking quickly, I responded, "he works in IT. He's too lazy to jump" (Full disclosure: I work in IT). My son wrinkled up his face and exclaimed, "that's silly!" But he didn't argue, so trouble was averted.

I tried out a basic strategy, letting my son wander up one side of the grid before closing it off so he had to backtrack all the way to where he started. As a result, I achieved an easy victory, crushing my opposition and wounding his fragile sense of self-worth.

"Let's play again!" he shouted. Quoridor is one of those blessed games that plays so quickly it doesn't outlast his painfully brief attention span. Naturally, I agreed to another game. This time, I played around with my fence-laying strategy, and we ended up with one long narrow corridor that my son and I both had to pass through to get to the other side. I got to show him the jumping rule, which he found amusing. However, I had arranged fences at the end of the corridor nearest me so that my son had no chance of prevailing. Another victory was within my grasp. I smugly reached for my pawn. In a shocking twist of fate, the pawn slipped and fell.

"Oh no!" I exclaimed in devastation. Delightedly, my son pointed to another section of the board far away from my goal and suggested, "he should have to go here!" I'm pretty sure the rules for Quoridor do stipulate that should a pawn fall over, he must move several spaces in a disadvantageous direction, so I assented. I was unable to recover from this setback, and my son emerged victorious.

"No!" I shouted. I began to pout. My son, ever the sore winner, smiled broadly, enjoying my misery.

This tableau was interrupted by my wife's command, "clean up your toys! It's time for bed!" Shoulders slumped in acceptance of the inevitable, my son murmured, "OK," and slouched off to comply.

Coincidentally, Quoridor has made its way onto my wish list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phew! When I read the thread title, I was afraid this was gonna be about me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
s m t
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I like my town with a little drop of poison Nobody knows, they're lining up to go insane.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report. Thanks.
Glad you are having fun with this one.
I have not been able to get this game played since my S.O. stated: "that game is so boring.!"
I enjoy it. I guess it is time to bring it to game day(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randatollah
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get how anyone could consider Quoridor boring. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frances McGregor
Canada
The Pas
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the game could be very boring until it clicks for you that fences can be put defensively. I know for me the game wasn't as interesting until that moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.