Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Dust Tactics» Forums » General

Subject: Do the expansions have a Tannhauser/Castle Wolfenstein feel to them? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the steamtech retro characters such as experimental apes and the new Operation Cerberus characters of Angela and the Chef, I get flashbacks of derivative material: Tannhauser-like dark forces at work; Return to Castle Wolfenstein's "resurrection" and human experimentation storylines.

The scrawny-hot-teen-goth-girl who loves weapons makes me think of Wolfenstein's SS Paranormal Division and its all-female security force led by Helga von Bulow. Scanty clothing, a foreign accent, and guns.

The 1940's-tech feel of Dust: Tactics, kind of 1944 meets Mechs, is what drew me in. I have to admit don't care for the 'little shop of horrors' occult angle.

I hope FFG and company don't go totally dark in their direction, and allow the product line to spread out. Having a cast of darkly extreme characters doesn't appeal.

Just my opinion (neither do I want 20 expansions of Gomer Pyle either!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
You, uh, have seen the Allied hero from Operation Cerberus, right? A Italian chef with flamethrower pistols isn't exactly dark.
Though IO do agree with you, I am not that into superdark stuff myself, and I hope FFG doesn't make the game really dark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
The zombies are too goofy-looking for them to be considered "dark".

Dust is more a cartoon version of WWII than a realistic one. Girls with guns and boobs, big mechas, dudes with californian beach hair, etc. It might be a cartoon that takes itself seriously, but it's still a cartoon.

The new "chef" hero is a clear indication of that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.