James Lin
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 15, the "Cover Defense Bonus" section states the following:

1. The defender is in full cover if the attacker must trace line-of-sight through the border that passes through the white cover arrow.
2. The defender is in partial cover if the attacker can trace line-of-sight to the white cover arrow without passing through the border.

If this is your first time reading the instructions, it makes sense since the assumption is that line-of-sight is figure-to-figure.

Then page 20 states the following:

"If an attacking or defending figure is in cover, it has line-of-sight if a line can be drawn from at least one of its cover space's arrows to the other figure's area or cover space arrow."

My understanding is that the line-of-sight line no longer passes through the border under this interpretation. This is also illustrated in the diagram on page 21 (Marcus' green line). The book states that Drone 2 has partial cover while Drone 3 has full cover, but only one line is used to determine line-of-sight in both cases and the line ends right on the vertical border.

What made the most sense for me was to use page 20's interpretation to determine line-of-sight, but use a figure-to-figure interpretation to determine the cover bonus. Did anyone else notice this, or am I just thinking too hard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Bonin
Canada
flag msg tools
I understand what you're saying; The way it's worded on page 15, and using "cover arrow to cover arrow" when one figure in cover attacks another one also in cover, you will *never* cross the red border, since the cover arrow is straight in the middle of that border.

I think it's easy to understand, but the wording alone can make this a bit confusing. Basically, line of sight is determined from cover arrow to cover arrow, but THEN, to determine if the cover is full or partial, you draw a line from the attacker's cover arrow to the target's cover SPACE. If THIS line crosses the "imaginary red border", then you get full cover.

You ARE right, but you are over-thinking it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the position of figures is completely irrelevant in this game (except when they are in cover) it never crossed my mind that you would trace LOS from figure to figure. It represents the game well, unless you go up against the wall, you're constantly wandering around a room and as long as an enemy can see your door, you will get shot at.

I also think the LOS diagram is very good. Pretty much cleared up all my questions.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same thought when I was reading through the rules, thinking about how the imaginary barrier on cover is a one dimensional like, with the cover arrow as a point on that line... but I think it's still easy to get what they were trying to say from the rules, even if it gets wonky when you overthink the geometry of it.

To clarify, you can imagine the line of cover (the dotted red line in the rule book example), and you can imagine the line of sight line segment to the cover dot. If that line segment lies on the same side of the line of cover as the figure being attacked, said figure is in partial cover. If that line segment lies on the opposite side of the line of cover as the figure being attacked, said figure is in full cover.

And of course, cover bonus is nullified for figures in the same area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I interpreted it in the same (wrong) way, but if it's literally interpreted as from arrow to arrow, then it makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.