BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Creepy and fantastic games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently had an itch to purchase a new games, and since October is creeping up, I've been inclined to purchase something horror themed. I already have Arkham Horror (plus some expansions), Aliens, Betrayal at House on the Hill, and am looking to expand my horror themed part of my collection. I love thematic games, the more the better!

In general I usually play with one other person, I have no gaming group or gaming friends usually.

Ones that look interesting:

Last Night on Earth
Dawn of the Zeds
Ghost Stories

I'd also like to possibly delve into the fantasy genre a bit more, but since playing Castle Ravenloft and not liking the mechanics much, I strayed away for quite some time.

Ones that look interesting there:

Runewars
Defenders of the Realm
Yggdrasil

I'm having a tough time choosing a game, any advice on any of these games, or ones you'd recommend outside of these would be appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Woods
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also a fan of Horror themed games and highly recommend Last Night on Earth. It is fast and fun and really replicates the feel of cheesy zombie flick. There are tons of expansions and scenarios which greatly increase re-playability. Also its easy to home-brew your own scenarios if you like that sort of thing. The components are top notch.

Ghost Stories is a game I also enjoy, but its much more of a Euro by design. It is still thematic but until the third expansion comes out it remains a bit of a cooperative puzzle. Try the ipad version first if you can to see if its your cup of tea

Fury Of Dracula is a great 2 player game (IMHO) My brothers and I play it every year for Halloween. The Hidden movement system works well and the Dracula/vampire theme is great.

I also Recommend Touch of Evil and Mansions of Madness.
Touch of Evil is similar in some ways to Arkham, but I find it less repetitive. It set in a "sleepy hollow" type town.

Mansions of Madness is also lovecraftian but it all takes place in one house and surrounding grounds. This one is less good with two however as one player is the villain and it is more fun when there are 2 or more heroes.
Hope this is helpfull

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill August
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Chaos in the Old World twice and it is amazing from a design and game play standpoint. I'm not crazy about the theme, but it seems fit what yhou are looking for. This game is an absolute blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Zanchi
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
There's always Zombies!!! Only played it twice, with a friend about 10 months ago, but it was great fun. There's also loads of expansions.

It plays quite well with just 2 players BTW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems I have to recommend Earth Reborn yet another time.

Reasons:
- it plays perfectly with 2 players
- it is very thematic and creates a lot of great moments
- it has postapocalyptic zombies...
- ...one with a buzzsaw attached to its arm
- even my girlfriend loves playing this game although she usually is not a big fan of confrontational games
- did I mention it being very thematic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Carroll
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game and Defenders of the Realm are two ideal choices. Both are definitely favourites of mine!

Ghost Stories is another excellent game too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the main detractions about Dreamblade is that the figures are too scary. They are meant to be the stuff of nightmares. So maybe that would be up your alley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LNOE al the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Just came back from the store, and after about 45 minutes of deliberation, I came out with LNOE. The price was right, and most of my friends have an interest in zombies someway or another! Chaos in the Old World looked very good, if I had more gaming buddies, I would have got that for sure... until then, it will have to sit on the store shelf! Earth Reborn looked awesome as well, but I would be hard pressed to find a single soul to play it with. I have Claustrophobia which helps scratch the skirmish itch when I need it Can't wait to try out LNOE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pugsley wrote:
(..) Earth Reborn looked awesome as well, but I would be hard pressed to find a single soul to play it with.(..)

Just out of curiosity: why?
I mean, I had a short look over your collection before writing the recommendation and it did not seem as if you (or your gaming "group" ) prefered short and simple games with even shorter rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He's looking for a 2 player experience you guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perturabo wrote:
Pugsley wrote:
(..) Earth Reborn looked awesome as well, but I would be hard pressed to find a single soul to play it with.(..)

Just out of curiosity: why?
I mean, I had a short look over your collection before writing the recommendation and it did not seem as if you (or your gaming "group" ) prefered short and simple games with even shorter rules.

Well mostly because I had Claustrophobia already, and although Earth Reborn looks nice, the price at the local shop was 80$, so until the price drops a bit, I'll have a to wait. I don't mind learning the rules, it's part of the fun, but my friends find rule heavy games like Arkham Horror a bit tedious to learn and prefer lighter games like Mr. Jack or Catan. Still there are 1-2 friends who do not mind learning more complex games. Earth Reborn is on my list, and I'm sure I'll bite when the price is lower or I get bored of Claustrophobia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see. Thanks for the insight.

However, Last Night on Earth was a good choice as well. We also own it and enjoy it a great deal. It can create the "You are the last survivor of a zombie apocalypse" atmosphere in a very satisfying way. Enjoy it!

On a more or less (zombie apocalypse) unrelated side note:
Check out Project Zomboid. It's a videogame where you need to survive as long as possible - during a zombie apocalypse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Crutchfield
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Night on Earth, good choice! The cinematic feel of this game is really entertaining, and it makes for a great two-player game. The variety of scenarios really adds to the replay value, and its easy to swap human and zombie players so no one gets stuck in a rut. Good gaming to you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Miller
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Another vote from me for Last Night On Earth. This game has gotten so much mileage at my house, and one that everyone says yes to. This year we are having a zombie/horror costume party with the kids and their/our friends for Halloween and LNOE will be on the table all night im sure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.