Subject: Looking for niche geeks in San Diego rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: bookmark [+] [View All]
Brian
United States
san diego
California
flag msg tools
Hey all, I've been lurking here for a while but decided to finally sign up so I could post in the forums. I currently have a gaming group but, since we're only able to get together every 2-4 weeks, I'd like to find another group that can get together more regularly. Therefore, I'm looking to start or join a new group

Let me tell you a quick bit about myself and my group (and, in turn, the types of gamers I'm looking for). We're all in our late twenties/early thirties, we're all computer geeks, but, at the same time, we're not (completely) socially awkward. We still go out, party, drink, etc. We love our beer, and drinking is pretty much encouraged during game nights. So, you can see why I say niche geeks. If you're still living in your mom's basement and rarely go out in public then you're probably not the right fit - not that there's anything wrong with that

Anyhow, let me tell you about the types of games that we play. Here is a list of the games that are in heavy rotation in our group: Hero Quest, Zombies!!!, Bang!, Citadels. Some games we play sometimes: Last Night on Earth, Poo, Resident Evil. Some games that we own but have yet to play: The Resistance, Summoner Wars, Cutthroat Caverns. Some games that we want to play but don't own: Rune Age, Race for the Galaxy, Earth Reborn, Castle Ravenloft.

As you can see, we definitely favor games that lean toward shorter game times. We'd rather play 6, 7, 8 games in one night than one really long one. We also prefer games that have a social element to them. We like games where you can royally screw each other over. We like some strategy but not too much strategy so we can still have conversations, joke around, drink beers, etc.

I realize this is pretty specific so I hope I'm not narrowing my search by too much. But hey, if anyone out there sounds interested then please let me know. I hope to hear from some of you, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
obscured wrote:
Hey all, I've been lurking here for a while but decided to finally sign up so I could post in the forums. I currently have a gaming group but, since we're only able to get together every 2-4 weeks, I'd like to find another group that can get together more regularly. Therefore, I'm looking to start or join a new group

Let me tell you a quick bit about myself and my group (and, in turn, the types of gamers I'm looking for). We're all in our late twenties/early thirties, we're all computer geeks, but, at the same time, we're not (completely) socially awkward. We still go out, party, drink, etc. We love our beer, and drinking is pretty much encouraged during game nights. So, you can see why I say niche geeks. If you're still living in your mom's basement and rarely go out in public then you're probably not the right fit - not that there's anything wrong with that

Anyhow, let me tell you about the types of games that we play. Here is a list of the games that are in heavy rotation in our group: Hero Quest, Zombies!!!, Bang!, Citadels. Some games we play sometimes: Last Night on Earth, Poo, Resident Evil. Some games that we own but have yet to play: The Resistance, Summoner Wars, Cutthroat Caverns. Some games that we want to play but don't own: Rune Age, Race for the Galaxy, Earth Reborn, Castle Ravenloft.

As you can see, we definitely favor games that lean toward shorter game times. We'd rather play 6, 7, 8 games in one night than one really long one. We also prefer games that have a social element to them. We like games where you can royally screw each other over. We like some strategy but not too much strategy so we can still have conversations, joke around, drink beers, etc.

I realize this is pretty specific so I hope I'm not narrowing my search by too much. But hey, if anyone out there sounds interested then please let me know. I hope to hear from some of you, thanks!

You have, more or less, described the core group in the La Jolla Lawlers guild...
*edit* Not the guild, so much, but the group that has its meetings scheduled there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
san diego
California
flag msg tools
That's great news actually. I'll see if I can't get a hold of them. Thanks for the heads up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
obscured wrote:

Sound like my kind of party. What ever became of this? In town for a month..two..three..who knows. Possibly looking for some gameage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Chick
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
My husband and I are moving out to San Diego here in the next few months. I'll definitely be interested in meeting up for some drinks and gaming....especially if you throw in some hope of Dominion and Battlestar.

Can't wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dallasgamerchick wrote:
My husband and I are moving out to San Diego here in the next few months. I'll definitely be interested in meeting up for some drinks and gaming....especially if you throw in some hope of Dominion and Battlestar.

Can't wait.

Well hurry up cuz I may be leaving in a few months...I haven't heard from any of the above party yet either about gaming. I should prolly pm them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ping wang

California
msg tools
let me know if you guys do something. I've been lurking as well, and just signed up to BGG... Just post something here or PM me if you guys decide on a time and I'll see if I can make it out some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genghis Ahn
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes You Are Wrong !
badge
Coolest Promo Ever ! Stonewall Lives
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Pair A Dice games in Vista. Pair A Dice is by FAR the best game store in SD. There is gaming every day in their huge game room, many tournaments, and a private game room for rental. Call for the schedule. There are regular gaming groups which meet every Thursday and Saturday. Located off the 78 between Plaza and Emerald behind the In N Out burger.

The USMC Camp Pendleton game club meets the 2nd Saturday of every month on base in the rec room beind the bowling alley usually 10 am till ??. Civilians welcome. Just remember to have your car insurance and registration. And NO contraband or weapons allowed as it is a Federal installation !!!

Game Empire supports another group of gamers.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D 4te
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Interested...but it looks like this thread is dead. Any other San Diegans in game clubs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The LawDog

California
msg tools
comiccrisis wrote:
Interested...but it looks like this thread is dead. Any other San Diegans in game clubs?

Check out the Fanatical Gamers Society at fgsnc.com. We are in north county San Diego. Also check out Pair Dice Games in Vista or At Ease Games in Poway or Game Empire in San Diego.

What games are you into?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D 4te
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Id be inerested in any RPG really. Id like to see some games. maybe participate from a designer's point of view. Im researching for my own game. Trying to recruit for a play-test group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genghis Ahn
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes You Are Wrong !
badge
Coolest Promo Ever ! Stonewall Lives
mbmbmbmbmb
NORCO Irregulars meet at Pair A Dice on the third Saturday of every month to RPGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The LawDog

California
msg tools
comiccrisis wrote:
Id be inerested in any RPG really. Id like to see some games., maybe participate feom a designer's point of view. Im reaearching forky my own game. Trying to recruit for a test group.

Join the Fanatical Gamers Society at fgsnc.com. There are some regulars that play RPGs and they have a couple running right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
san diego
California
flag msg tools
Looks like this thread has gotten some activity since my first post last fall. Is anyone still interested in getting a group together at an actual house or apartment? I'm not interested in playing with kids at a comic book or gaming store. I'm seeking a gaming group of adults (20s, 30s, 40s) that can actually socialize, drink, converse, have a good time, and, most importantly, play awesome games. Like I said in the title, I'm looking for some other niche geeks like myself. I know there must be some of you out there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giancarlo Garbagnati
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
San Diegan here, new to BGG, also looking for a group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Dunne
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
As Scott mentioned months ago, I have weekly gaming nights at my apartment near La Jolla. More are always welcome.

I try to keep the calendar updated here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/1106

if you are ever interested it's fine to just show up. You can always send me a message if you have any questions/concerns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The LawDog

California
msg tools
Checkout fgsnc.com -- great group of folks mostly in the north county san diego area. I've been part of the group for a couple of years now and it's great. All kinds of games -- RPGs, board, miniatures. Local Game Stores are Pair A Dice and At Ease Games. And feel free to hit me up with a message on the fgsnc.com boards...nickname is "B-Willy" I'm always up to play something and try something new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D 4te
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have a prototype that can support up to 24 players...

It needs play testing and it looks like we have enough local players here to work out some kinks...contact me if anyone is interested.

I live in North Park and would like to host a play test night with some creative gamers.

any takers?
comic crisis on facebook

comiccrisis@gmail.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D 4te
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
dallasgamerchick wrote:

Can't wait.

gamer chicks are cool. gamer couples are cooler.

I have only had ONE adult female to ever play test my prototype,but I would love to get a female's feedback on a new type of game Ive been working on. Looks like San Diego gaming is jumping?

Comic Crisis on facebook

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thumb up my stuff.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are still looking for people to play my wife and i would love to meet up some time. We just moved back to the united states from seoul and we don't know anyone. Even worse there does not seem to be any boardgame cafes in san diego like there were in seoul. we seriously want to get out and get out gamez on!!! ... oh yeah am meet people too. message me if you are still looking for people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.