Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » General

Subject: expansion campaigns rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
E N
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
My gaming group and I are about to finish the first nine quests in Descent's core rulebook. Quest nine is this Sunday. Can the campaign rules from Journeys in the Dark be used for the Well of Darkness, Alter of Despair, and Tomb of Ice? I have often seen on these boards that if a group wants to play a campaign, the best option is to simply play road to legend. However, as we are all new to Descent, it would seem to me that we should not play Road to Legend until we had tried out the new mechanics from WoD and AoD, that way we aren't biting off more than we can chew by skipping ahead to Road to Legend and incorporating the previous two expansions as well (not that we actually have to, but it seems like a more complete experience).

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ibarzabal

Campinas
Sao Paulo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can use the simple campaign system from the core game with the expansions.

It is nice also in my opinion to do that, because you can all enjoy the other maps that each vanilla expansion offers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wardell
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
May 25
badge
I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've heard, the simple campaign rules are not worth playing. Everything from other members on here suggests that you should either continue playing single dungeons, or buy one of the real campaign expansions. I haven't actually played the simple campaign mode, but after reading the rules, I wouldn't play a campaign without RtL (or possibly SoB).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Khedron wrote:
From what I've heard, the simple campaign rules are not worth playing.

That is the general consensus about the basic campaign, yes. I think the primary reason most people feel that way is because the basic campaign doesn't provide the level of continuity that most people want from a "campaign" experience.

It sounds like the OP and his group have been enjoying the basic campaign well enough thus far, so if they want to keep using it in Well of Darkness and AoD, they certainly can. I know I would prefer to play vanilla quests without it (it just doesn't DO enough to be worthwhile to me), but to each their own.

I definitely approve of the idea of playing WoD and AoD vanilla first before moving onto to RtL (although you might want to at least buy RtL if you can and don't already own it, because it seems to be getting hard to find already.) But in general, the more vanilla experience you can get with your group before moving on to the AC game, the better.

Edit: If you don't already own RtL, you might want to seriously consider just waiting for 2e. WoD and AoD should keep you busy until well after its release, and it doesn't look like much if anything from the RtL box will carry over to 2e rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E N
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
My group has enjoyed playing the standard campaign through the nine scenarios contained in the core rulebook. All it really means is that the heroes and the skills they drew carry over to the next map. It has been pretty fun. I have won three of the eight scenarios we have played, and we usually play with heroes, which gives me another target.

I have all five the expansions and the Quest book, though I got them all fairly recently. As soon as second edition was announced I tracked down all of them and payed less then retail for them new (except well of darkness).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
You certainly can, but honestly - why would you?
It's far more fun to try a new character each map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E N
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Well I have played the overlord the whole campaign, but I can see how the players have come to identify with a sinle character. We are going to vontinue using the core campaign rules when we play well of darkness

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.