Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Jurgens
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a two weeks of watching DVDs every time we got together, I suggested to my girlfriend we do something that didn't involve a video screen. When I suggested a board game, she sighed and asked if I wanted to play Scrabble or Boggle, word games and Trivial Pursuit: Book Lovers Edition being the only games she enjoys.

I haven't had access to another board game player in a while, and was really in the mood for something meatier. Looking at my game shelf I felt Lunar Rails had the best chance of keeping her attention with the crayons. Sure enough, the first thing she said about the game, "We get to draw on the board?, goody!"

I figured the best way to teach the game was with a brief overview and then point out new stuff as I do it on my turn, followed with walking her through her turn. She instantly balked at the "just math" aspect of the game. She was also upset she couldn't figure out how to make a big $31 million delivery right off the bat. I explained the basic concept of making small deliveries to build to the big ones, and showed her a route she could make from Kulik to Fleming by way of Joliot that would allow her to make 2 deliveries form her starting cards. After a few rounds she got the hang of building track and got lucky in that her new cards always seemed to have an item that could be picked up enroute to their destination. I on the other hand constantly had to run the entirety of my route between Scott and Mare Crisium to pick stuff up and then deposit it back where I started.

She was actually ahead for most of the game, having 5 main cities link while I had only 3. She stalled after shortly after that, and I was able focus on just shuffling the track I already had, while using my bulids to just link the remaining big cities. We had agreed to just play to first to link all 8 big cities, since I find the end of game money grab to be tedious.

All and all, she enjoyed the experience. The fact that she was way ahead at one point was a huge bonus. Normally when I suggest playing a game, she says no because she always loses. I don't believe in throwing a game just to sooth someone's ego, but I would absolutely love to lose to her fair and square in a real game soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matecha
United States
Florence
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice on keeping a non-gamer girlfriend playing games with you:

-The first time you two play a game plan to lose but make it close.

-After that make sure she wins at least half the time.

-Don't gloat when you win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.