Age of Napoleon» Forums » Rules

Subject: Deploying home corps rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can deploy home corps in reinforcement phase, after a change in diplomatic alignment in diplomacy phase or after a neutrality violation in Campaign phase. How about when a new insurrection is triggered or a major country surrenders?

Example 1. Spain becomes insurgent in insurgency phase.
Can the Coalition player immediately deploy Spanish corps?

Example 2. Previously insurgent Prussia surrenders to the French side in surrender phase and becomes a French dominion. Can the French player immediately deploy 1 Prussian home corps?

The anological answer should be "yes" in both situations but I don't know if that makes a major country insurgency far too powerfull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No. I see no support for this in the rules. If you are invaded, then you would obviously call out the troops to defend. An insurrection occurs in an already defeated country.

2. I don't see that situation two would logically follow that they could deploy corps. Is the insurrection being defeated? The country is already a French dominion, so they should already have had a chance to deploy their corps, so I don't see why they would get a freebie deployment here.

Insurrections are not a change in the diplomatic alignment of a country. It's just the people rising up in defiance of the occupying nation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
1. No. I see no support for this in the rules. If you are invaded, then you would obviously call out the troops to defend. An insurrection occurs in an already defeated country.

2. I don't see that situation two would logically follow that they could deploy corps. Is the insurrection being defeated? The country is already a French dominion, so they should already have had a chance to deploy their corps, so I don't see why they would get a freebie deployment here.

Insurrections are not a change in the diplomatic alignment of a country. It's just the people rising up in defiance of the occupying nation.

I have played exactly like you said but the system has a few assumption holes that arise every now and then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
RoadHouse wrote:
You can deploy home corps in reinforcement phase, after a change in diplomatic alignment in diplomacy phase or after a neutrality violation in Campaign phase. How about when a new insurrection is triggered or a major country surrenders?

Example 2. Previously insurgent Prussia surrenders to the French side in surrender phase and becomes a French dominion. Can the French player immediately deploy 1 Prussian home corps?

The anological answer should be "yes" in both situations but I don't know if that makes a major country insurgency far too powerfull.

No and no. The rules state when you can deploy corps (and when you need to remove corps). If they don't state that you can then you can't. The reason why you can deploy troops after a major country joins a side or another is because it is assumed that the country has a standing army, which is simply not kept on the map while it is neutral. Once an insurrection starts, existing home corps become insurgent, but otherwise it takes time for an insurrection to swell; this gives the French player a small chance to quell the insurrection before it develops further. If a nation surrenders and joins one side then the next reinforcement phase happens before the next campaign phase, that's when the newly-allied (French dominion in your example) can raise troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Renaud Verlaque wrote:
RoadHouse wrote:

No and no. The rules state when you can deploy corps (and when you need to remove corps). If they don't state that you can then you can't. The reason why you can deploy troops after a major country joins a side or another is because it is assumed that the country has a standing army, which is simply not kept on the map while it is neutral. Once an insurrection starts, existing home corps become insurgent, but otherwise it takes time for an insurrection to swell; this gives the French player a small chance to quell the insurrection before it develops further. If a nation surrenders and joins one side then the next reinforcement phase happens before the next campaign phase, that's when the newly-allied (French dominion in your example) can raise troops.

Yeah. Thanks for the thematic explanition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Lannes
Germany
Zirndorf
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - No and 2 - No

Outside the strategy phaes you deploy troops, if anyboy violates a neutral country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Right, same reason: It is assumed that there is a standing army.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Renaud,

Then when are the Spanish "Insurrection" Corps deployed? I'm confused about those corps (that have "insurrection" written at their tops).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GA Jim wrote:
Renaud,

Then when are the Spanish "Insurrection" Corps deployed? I'm confused about those corps (that have "insurrection" written at their tops).

When Insurrection happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoadHouse wrote:
GA Jim wrote:
Renaud,

I don't think so. They are "available" when the Insurrection happens. They are "deployed" in the reinforcement phase like regular troops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
RoadHouse wrote:
GA Jim wrote:
Renaud,

They are "deployed" in the reinforcement phase like regular troops.

Yes. I meant that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.