Crusader Rex» Forums » General

Subject: Mounted maps becoming a new Columbia standard? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crusader Rex is getting a mounted map in the 2nd edition. How about the future Columbia releases?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Standards are going up across the industry. Competition is stiff. Adapt or die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoadHouse wrote:
Crusader Rex is getting a mounted map in the 2nd edition. How about the future Columbia releases?

I believe the mounted map is for preorders only. That was the policy for their last game as well (Shiloh), and also for their upcoming releases (Borodino, Shenandoah).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
RoadHouse wrote:
Only for pre-orders. That's Columbia's new incentive; rather than give a discount, you get a mounted board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT is way ahead of the game then by providing good components to everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ixnay66 wrote:

Yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Troutman
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
I am called Huginn..., or is it Muninn..., I forget...
mbmbmbmbmb
And it looks like they're starting to charge (at least on my card), so Crusader Rex the Second should be shipping soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Karlsson
Sweden
Linköping
Östergötland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have quite a number of CG games, all with thin cardboard maps that are perfectly fine. Some have held through 10+ years and hundreds of plays with practically no wear. Why would I want mounted maps instead?

That would as I see it only increase price and weight (which again will increase the price, for us who have to have our games sent to Europe) for no benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Troutman
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
I am called Huginn..., or is it Muninn..., I forget...
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon Karlsson wrote:
I have quite a number of CG games, all with thin cardboard maps that are perfectly fine. Some have held through 10+ years and hundreds of plays with practically no wear. Why would I want mounted maps instead?

That would as I see it only increase price and weight (which again will increase the price, for us who have to have our games sent to Europe) for no benefit.

As a gamer who puts all their games under plexi-glass anyway, I totally agree. I would much prefer a price break to a mounted map as a reward for pre-ordering.

But it's Columbia's call, and this is what they've chosen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
RoadHouse wrote:
ixnay66 wrote:

Yeah.

Yeah indeed. If GMT keeps spoiling us with mounted maps, we are going to become harder and harder to please...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Togu Oppusunggu
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why mounted maps? Mounted maps are good for when you're traveling to another person's house and that person doesn't have plexiglass. Also, the Columbia boards tend to be smaller than the standard size wargame map, so you also save space at home when you're using plexiglass of the standard wargame map size. Lastly, it could just be nostalgia on my part, but there just seems to be something special about playing on a mounted board, like "ooh I'm playing a real *board*game!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gassett
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it still possible to pre-order to get the mounted board? Or is it that, to quote the baddie from Raiders of the Lost Ark, "that time...he he...has passed..." devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Karlsson
Sweden
Linköping
Östergötland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toguopp wrote:
Why mounted maps? Mounted maps are good for when you're traveling to another person's house and that person doesn't have plexiglass. Also, the Columbia boards tend to be smaller than the standard size wargame map, so you also save space at home when you're using plexiglass of the standard wargame map size.

I have never felt any need for plexiglass with CG's old maps, for the cardboard they're made of is sturdy enough to lie flat on the table by itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.